Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
LightBulb

Where did this start to go wrong for Howard Quayle ?

Just now, Boo Gay'n said:

I think that you are wrong, but might turn out to be right.  My understanding, for what it's worth, is that the Island has the same problem as the UK - there is no automatic pecking order.  The system is based on written delegations, passing over the 'powers' of a political office when any minister is absent or incapable (assuming that they have time to delegate).  In other words, Mr Toad could delegate his chief ministerial powers to Chris Thomas, choose the Boy Vampire, or anyone else.  Good form would say that it has to be another minister, but I'm not sure that it's strictly required.

Compare this common law, no written constitution approach to other countries.  In the USA, LBJ was the president at the moment JFK was declared dead.

I'm only suggesting that MOPR would perhaps be the person to take the CoMin chair in the temporary absence of the CM

Nothing more

Can i ask the same question again ?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Same place it’s now going wrong for LighBulb CM (TM) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

it didn't,  it went badly wrong for us.

• Like 2

Whatever did or didn't go wrong, as he has now gone into self isolation, it appears he may be suffering from having had too close contact with a carrier (no, not Prince of Wales).

Best wishes to him for a safe and speedy recovery.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Whatever did or didn't go wrong, as he has now gone into self isolation, it appears he may be suffering from having had too close contact with a carrier (no, not Prince of Wales).

Best wishes to him for a safe and speedy recovery.

Or in his case, a spadey reck-o-vary

Edited by PaulJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I think that you are wrong, but might turn out to be right.  My understanding, for what it's worth, is that the Island has the same problem as the UK - there is no automatic pecking order.  The system is based on written delegations, passing over the 'powers' of a political office when any minister is absent or incapable (assuming that they have time to delegate).  In other words, Mr Toad could delegate his chief ministerial powers to Chris Thomas, choose the Boy Vampire, or anyone else.  Good form would say that it has to be another minister, but I'm not sure that it's strictly required.

Compare this common law, no written constitution approach to other countries.  In the USA, LBJ was the president at the moment JFK was declared dead.

TBH I think I'd have more faith if the baton was handed over to the Lt. Governor. 

Posted (edited)

No. The guy is a knobhead. Worse than useless in this situation. A badly stuffed suit biding his time doing tea and biscuits and that.

Oh, and if I had to answer the question of the thread, I would say it went wrong when Howard Quayle dragged in the Governor for the delayed announcement. WTF was that all about?

(That is not to deter any sympathy or recognise the tragedy that someone in our community has died, but to wheel the Governor on was not necessary.)

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

The bottom line is that we are just not in a position to know whether the steps we took, or didn’t take, have been the most effective or not. That is why this is such a ridiculous thread.  What is is the big issue with the Governor being involved in the first Corona Virus death announcement? Does it not just show togetherness? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boo, there is some law here, its the Council of Ministers Act 1990.

Section 6

(3) The Chief Minister or, in his absence —

(a) a Minister appointed for the purpose by the Chief Minister, or

(b) in default of such an appointment, or in the absence of the Minister so appointed, a Minister appointed by the Ministers present, shall preside at meetings of the Council of Ministers

The chief also has certain other peculiar duties which are prescribed by various individual Acts - for example, the Interception of Communications Act 1988 where he may also delegate his powers to any other Minister.

3 minutes ago, chancer said:

The bottom line is that we are just not in a position to know whether the steps we took, or didn’t take, have been the most effective or not. That is why this is such a ridiculous thread.  What is is the big issue with the Governor being involved in the first Corona Virus death announcement? Does it not just show togetherness? 

Will the Governor be there for the second death? Or the third? Or the tenth? Wheel him out everytime otherwise it is disrespectful to each and everyone of them.

Of course we all hope there is no more deaths attributable to this virus.

Oh, did Boris wheel out the Queen when someone died?

A chief Minister should have been able to handle the situation himself. Would Miles Walker (for example) have asked Sir Laurence New to make such an announcement

27 minutes ago, chancer said:

I'm not sure what it showed

To some of us it jarred a little

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Will the Governor be there for the second death? Or the third? Or the tenth? Wheel him out everytime otherwise it is disrespectful to each and everyone of them.

A chief Minister should have been able to handle the situation himself. Would Miles Walker (for example) have asked Sir Laurence New to make such an announcement

Unlikely

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

We will never know how Miles Walker would have handled it. That’s the point, there is no manual for the current situation with drop down menus telling everyone what to do.  For all we know the the Governor might have asked to do it.   Without tempting fate, we’ve had a very small number of people hospitalised, we are being kept informed, provisions have been put in place to help people financially.  I really don’t know what more certain people expect?  Like I said in my original post, this was a poisonous thread to start.  History will be the judge, not Manx Forums. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

No. The guy is a knobhead. Worse than useless in this situation. A badly stuffed suit biding his time doing tea and biscuits and that.

Oh, and if I had to answer the question of the thread, I would say it went wrong when Howard Quayle dragged in the Governor for the delayed announcement. WTF was that all about?

(That is not to deter any sympathy or recognise the tragedy that someone in our community has died, but to wheel the Governor on was not necessary.)

We will have to disagree. I've met him on a number of occasions and seems to me to be very clued up on how things tick (and tock) on Mann and probably has better contacts within UKG than the external affairs people who we pay handsome amounts to, to look after our relationships with UK. He's no one's fool. 

I agree with Chancer though, in that this thread is a bit of a waste of time as the cards have already been dealt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1