Where did this start to go wrong for Howard Quayle ?

18 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Or in his case, a spadey reck-o-vary

Full marks!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As far as I can see, RM thinks about what he says and does research, it is an open forum after all. I don't always agree with what he says but it's usually reasoned argument and very readable!

I didn't pick up this ridiculous comment yesterday because I was never sure if @chancer was a parody account or not.  If I wanted to mock the self-defensiveness of a certain section of the Manx establ

It's dilli o'clock

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

...(assuming that they have time to delegate)

I don't see why there would be a need to await a problem. The CM could have a scheme of delegation 'on the stocks' delegating their powers to whichever Minister they chose, in case it was ever needed, particularly if the CM was incapacitated at a moments notice.

56 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

We will have to disagree. I've met him on a number of occasions and seems to me to be very clued up on how things tick (and tock) on Mann and probably has better contacts within UKG than the external affairs people who we pay handsome amounts to, to look after our relationships with UK. He's no one's fool. 

I agree with Chancer though, in that this thread is a bit of a waste of time as the cards have already been dealt. 

Assuming your first paragraph referred to the Governor rather than Quayle, that's all probably true, but more to the point, it's what we should expect from a senior ex-diplomat who has been Ambassador or equivalent to major regional powers (Nigeria, Indonesia)[1] and Governor of Bermuda as well (interesting that he seems to have been recalled out of retirement to take the Isle of Man role).  Once asked by the Manx Government to participate, he would have been obliged to do so, but it just looked odd and a bit melodramatic.   It's not the worst mistake that will be made, but it did rather illustrate how a lot of the Comms has been poorly handled (not necessarily the fault of the politicians). 

And surely the point of card games is not the cards you are dealt, but how you play them?

[1]  Note that the Wikipedia entry was vandalised (appropriately enough on 1st April) to read:

he was educated at Oakwood High School, Rotherham, and Sheffield Hallam University. He took a BA (Hons) degree in Fashion Design in 1973. In 1970, between school and the university, he briefly taught at a school in Leeds.

rather than the more conventional Establishment background of: 

he was educated at Magdalen College School, Oxford, and St Edmund Hall, Oxford. He took a BA (Hons) degree in Geology in 1973. In 1970, between school and the university, he briefly taught at a school in Kenya.

The rest seems accurate however.

Edited by Roger Mexico

The first few press conferences were a bit shoddy, sat at desks and slipping pieces of paper to each other etc. Social distancing?

4 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

I'm not sure what it showed

To some of us it jarred a little

To me it showed government spin. The whole charade. The build up, the extra time, the announcement of the governor’s appearance. As sad as it is we all knew someone was going to die but like RM said some days ago, I thought some major disaster was about to be revealed. 

Why? To take the focus away from the whistleblower at Nobles telling us of the atrocious conditions, the lack of equipment, the lack of protective clothing. At any other time that nurse’s revelation would have caused huge ructions. So, create some spin to take the heat off. And it worked. Instead of discussing her concerned we talked about the strangeness of it all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ecobob said:

To me it showed government spin. The whole charade. The build up, the extra time, the announcement of the governor’s appearance. As sad as it is we all knew someone was going to die but like RM said some days ago, I thought some major disaster was about to be revealed. 

Why? To take the focus away from the whistleblower at Nobles telling us of the atrocious conditions, the lack of equipment, the lack of protective clothing. At any other time that nurse’s revelation would have caused huge ructions. So, create some spin to take the heat off. And it worked. Instead of discussing her concerned we talked about the strangeness of it all. 

And the fact that HRH the CM said he/they wouldn't be taking questions after the announcement and governors appearance/speech also put the dampers on the whistleblower's claims which, if I'm not mistaken, hasn't been raised again since. Have the press been told to keep their traps shut?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, chancer said:

We will never know how Miles Walker would have handled it. That’s the point, there is no manual for the current situation with drop down menus telling everyone what to do.  For all we know the the Governor might have asked to do it.   Without tempting fate, we’ve had a very small number of people hospitalised, we are being kept informed, provisions have been put in place to help people financially.  I really don’t know what more certain people expect?  Like I said in my original post, this was a poisonous thread to start.  History will be the judge, not Manx Forums. 

thanks for your valued input Howard, now rest up

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Miles Walker and indeed any of the previous Chief Ministers didn't require a scutch and a half of spin doctors.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Miles Walker and indeed any of the previous Chief Ministers didn't require a scutch and a half of spin doctors.

they could bullshit themselves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Designated Survivor hadn’t been released on Netflix then. No one knew they needed them. 

The thread could be better titled. 'What do you think could have been handled better or differently?' Or whatever. It might serve some constructive purpose then.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Chancer is spot on with his remarks, this thread is unnecessary and shows how nasty people with not a lot between the ears can be.

howard can't help it.

• Haha 1