The Davinci Code

plan_b

Anyone read this? I started it the other night, its been really easy to get into. I also understand its quite easy to ruin the story if you have read it, so please dont tell me anything I won't know yet :)

Apoligies if there is already a thread on this.

Suspect this has been discussed a million times, but yep I've read it and yep, it's ace.

Might read it again soon actually, some of the revelations are astounding.

Dan Brown recently did an interview which was aired (on sky I think) and he apparantly claimed it was all true. I missed it, dunno if anyone else saw it?

I like the idea of Jesus having his own side to the story, and most of it is a lot less far fetched than the bible that's for sure.

Not really been able to get into the Dan Brown stuff that much - kind of makes me feel like it's a new "tacky" copy of the Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea.

- Another totally fictional work with a few "factual" references in there.

I do recommend Cosmic Trigger by RAW though - found that fascinating in many ways.

All IMHO

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I really don't understand the controversy around this book - its a novel for crying out loud. In the front of the book its states which facts are true, meaning the rest is fiction......

Its even more fictional than that. Dan Brown has swallowed a book called the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail which was published in the early to mid 80s. This book claimed to expose the truth about the Priory of Sion and Dan has followed this up by saying the references to it in his book are factual.

This is tosh! Unless you are an extreme conspiracy theorist the Priory of Sion was a hoax dreamed up by a group of French performance artists and existentialists in the 60s and 70s.

Dan Brown takes himself far too seriously and has simply written a work of fiction using well known historical figures ie Da Vinci, Newton etc plus adding in the spice of occult religion, hermetic knowledge gnosticism and new age mumbo jumbo. Read it as a fictional thriller and enjoy it for that, but don't take it seriously: the theology is mush.

If you want to read a book on a very similar theme, but one where the tongue is firmly in cheek throughout then read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Its a true work of literature, filled with scholarship and thoughtful writting, but it doesn't pretend for a moment to be factual.

If you want to read a book on a very similar theme, but one where the tongue is firmly in cheek throughout then read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Its a true work of literature, filled with scholarship and thoughtful writting, but it doesn't pretend for a moment to be factual.

Totally agree Amazing book.

I went to Paris shortly after reading it on Holiday and tried to get a look at the Pendulum (it was in some museum or Science observatory). The place was closed - the templers in the story never had that difficulty

I heard that Dan Brown actually is the Jesus risen again, and he's written this book in order to throw everyone off the scent until he's ready to reveal his true identity and take his place as the king of kings.

I learnt this when I was accosted by a sweaty tramp in Chippenham. He promised to reveal secrets of a mystical and earth shattering nature in exchange for Special Brew, which is apparently the sacred drink of a secret society called 'Urban's Guild of Lovemonkeys', and is brewed in clogs worn by the diciples during a secret visit to Holland where they founded the Society of Unfriendly Jesus Ninjas. It's ripping stuff, and I intend to write a book about it.

I hate Dan Brown, but then I hate Umberto Eco, who's just a bearded I. A. Richards seventy years too late.

I like cats though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...