Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Just now, TheTeapot said:

3 small lamb cutlets were £6.78 which would be more than 50% of my current daily budget. 

I'm pretty sure that more locals would buy Manx meat if they sold it to us as cheaply as they sell it in the UK and France

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

3 small lamb cutlets were £6.78 which would be more than 50% of my current daily budget. 

I’ve sent ten bob in the post to help you out

Just now, dilligaf said:

The more you buy though, the lower the price can be. Keep buying imported meat and keep the local price high is a no brainer.

Do you work for the brewery?

It doesn't matter how much local meat you buy, they price would not come down. The high prices are used to subsidise the cost of shipping it to the UK/France so they can sell it cheaply to them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

I'm pretty sure that more locals would buy Manx meat if they sold it to us as cheaply as they sell it in the UK and France

It really is not as simple as that Neil.

30 minutes ago, finlo said:

I dread to think what they'll be charging for a pint when the pubs reopen, no doubt all they've lost out on will be lumped on in a misguided claw back attempt!

Well I for one have had my eyes opened to what a couple of nights a week in my H&B local were costing me. Compared to what I pay for a couple of tinnies to sit boringly at home during this lockdown (or lock out).

22 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The more you buy though, the lower the price can be. Keep buying imported meat and keep the local price high is a no brainer.

When imported meat was banned the Manx meat was still expensive and showed no signs of dropping in price. It's always been extortionate.

I bet some people who vocally support Manx meat are the same ones who whinge about Manx Gas and their 9.9% profit margins 

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

When imported meat was banned the Manx meat was still expensive and showed no signs of dropping in price. It's always been extortionate.

Economy of scale.

It's absolutely true that you should buy local meat as far as possible. For loads of reasons. But it's also true that its too expensive. So something clearly has to change.

How many trailers of live cows could you fit in one of dead? 3? 4?  Grand a trailer on the boat and they still get a better price? Madness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Economy of scale.

Economy of a captive market owned by a section of the Manx establishment more like.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not sure why you quoted that post of mine. You do know that “ Middle of the Road” sang the song “ Chirpy “ etc ?

Not sure how that happened!:D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Economy of a captive market owned by a section of the Manx establishment more like.

I am not defending the Manx farmer, or the English one, who bought a farm here because of our generous grants for doing f*** all.But there are a good few farmers here who try their best to supply a decent product at a fair price. There are many more useless farmers who just happen to own land.

Edited by dilligaf

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

It really is not as simple as that Neil.

It actually is...

My personal opinion is that farming subsidies should only be offered to produce that stays within the local market. Why is the taxpayer paying for food to be produced and shipped offshore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2