CM makes entirely balanced sensible statement

19 minutes ago, Max Power said:

People are, and have been working in all sorts of roles which have brought them into contact with the general public and nobody has complained about that? I can't see that others can't return providing that they observe the same, if not similar self distancing and safety precautions.  

The lockdown could never be 100% though, that's a given.

Certain, largely Govt, functions have continued, refuse collection and disposal (otherwise you've got a public health issue as well), postal services (cos you don't want that lot backing up especially with everybody doing their shopping online during lockdown and communication helps to keep the mental health issues at bay).

But the huge amount of distancing that's otherwise taken place has greatly reduced the opportunity for transmission. Although that hasn't been 100% either obviously, leading to the infection rate we do have. But we don't want it any worse. Do we? Because it could be?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS, why start another thread?

And here it is.  http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=55263 People need to be able to earn a living and let’s see how it goes. After all government grass cutting and building work hasn’t

The civil servants especially the teachers who thought that was the start of the summer break will be hitting the drink tonight!

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Certain, largely Govt, functions have continued, refuse collection and disposal (otherwise you've got a public health issue as well), postal services (cos you don't want that lot backing up especially with everybody doing their shopping online during lockdown and communication helps to keep the mental health issues at bay).

But the huge amount of distancing that's otherwise taken place has greatly reduced the opportunity for transmission. Although that hasn't been 100% either obviously, leading to the infection rate we do have. But we don't want it any worse. Do we? Because it could be?

And it will be. More people out multiplies the risk

Just now, Neil Down said:

And it will be. More people out multiplies the risk

Which is why I say maintain the lockdown until the original proposal of May 7th-ish. If we have "peaked" early and there's reducing cases until then, then that will prove it. If not then we've potentially saved lives.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you take care homes out of the equation our death rate has been incredibly low. Most of the moves taken so far have been successful. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

If you take care homes out of the equation our death rate has been incredibly low. Most of the moves taken so far have been successful. 

Yes if you ignore all the people who died, our death rate is zero.  But while 9 deaths is equivalent to 106 per million population and puts us into 15th place in the table,  even if you ignore the 5 Abbotswood deaths it's still 47 per million and we're still in 24th place.  So not incredibly low at all.

• Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes if you ignore all the people who died, our death rate is zero.  But while 9 deaths is equivalent to 106 per million population and puts us into 15th place in the table,  even if you ignore the 5 Abbotswood deaths it's still 47 per million and we're still in 24th place.  So not incredibly low at all.

You still seem to be ignoring the point that in the last few days all the deaths have been from care homes. It’s not true community transmission. Did you expect us to be immune from any deaths in a global pandemic? Comparing to % population is false in such a small community. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I get it - but I was alluding to the pension - I'd be one of the calendar counters if I'd gone at 16 - you know the CS ones "I've got 2 years 4 months 3 days and 2 hours till I retire"

Those types of CS are assholes, all they care about is what they can get out of the Government (the people) and when they can get out of the Government (the people) when in fact they should be focussing on what they can give to the Government (the people), they are not representative of what I would want the Civil Service to be. 

9 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Those types of CS are assholes, all they care about is what they can get out of the Government (the people) and when they can get out of the Government (the people) when in fact they should be focussing on what they can give to the Government (the people), they are not representative of what I would want the Civil Service to be. 

Hey, it'll be 180 today chief.