IOM Covid removing restrictions

• Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, manxst said:

He’s an advocate, and moderator. There are other advocates, doctors, engineers, ship workers, teachers, MHKs, and people from all walks of life who post here. It’s one of the advantages in that a wide variety of people can have their say, and relay from their own life experiences. Just because someone doesn’t agree with JW doesn’t mean they’re a ‘chancer’ or even incorrect with what they’re saying. I’m sure John will be first to admit that at times, he himself has got things wrong. Get a grip, and remove your tongue. 

Aye. Whatever.

40 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I have to agree with JW. Irrespective of my bans, I have great respect for him and his professional views. They carry weight as opposed to the chancers who try to belittle JW’s views. 

Having considered all options Dilli - you are one brown nosing snivelling Govt Shill - Flounce away please 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Does anyone know if any of the new cases are likely to be those retested from the high risk locations who were told to stay isolating even if their initial test was negative?  
6 is quite a high figure and I’m wondering if it’s either the group from St Mary’s or the group from Truth wine bar, I would be absolutely shocked if no one from either of these locations went on to test positive.

The timing suggests they relate to the day 13 tests connected to Truth bar and the other new years venues. St Mary's are having their day 13 tests next week.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Having considered all options Dilli - you are one brown nosing snivelling Govt Shill - Flounce away please 

I have no reason to be, so why your concern ?

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

More juvenile to-ing and fro-ing in this thread as well? 

The whole world is going crazy quilp, may as well in this thread too:w00t:

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

But JW is no Gov. apologist. Why do you feel you  you need  to say that.?

Edited by dilligaf
45 minutes ago, Newbie said:

The contact tracers and people who organised the tests could also tell us without the need for genome testing. I am not saying that genome sequencing doesn't have it's place, but not in answering this particular query

I love your optimism. 

Unfortunately, people do, and have, lied to contact tracers in the last year. Their consciences tended to become clearer when their own health status becomes more precarious, but by then it could be too late to trace anyone they came into contact with. 

For example (purely hypothetically), someone who swears blind that they didn't break isolation might be a little more honest if presented with some data that shows that 10 people who state they were in a particular location on a specific date have exactly the same 30,000 letters of viral RNA as theirs (i.e. they caught it from that person). It tends to sharpen the memory. 

Unfortunately the punitive measures in place by the government for breaking isolation have an unintended consequence: people lie through their teeth to contact tracers when they test positive for fear of punitive measures like a holiday in Jurby. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Last week Dr Ewart said that all of the positive swabs are sent to Liverpool for genomic analysis. If this is the case, would there still be anything on island for Dr Glover to analyse even if the ice was broken in her relationship with IOMG? I'm genuinely not sure how it works hence the question.

5 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I love your optimism. 

Unfortunately, people do, and have, lied to contact tracers in the last year. Their consciences tended to become clearer when their own health status becomes more precarious, but by then it could be too late to trace anyone they came into contact with. 

For example (purely hypothetically), someone who swears blind that they didn't break isolation might be a little more honest if presented with some data that shows that 10 people who state they were in a particular location on a specific date have exactly the same 30,000 letters of viral RNA as theirs (i.e. they caught it from that person). It tends to sharpen the memory. 

Unfortunately the punitive measures in place by the government for breaking isolation have an unintended consequence: people lie through their teeth to contact tracers when they test positive for fear of punitive measures like a holiday in Jurby. 

Coincidentally this is why forensic science exists. Witnesses and recollection can't always be relied upon. Science tends to show what really happened. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1