IOM Covid removing restrictions

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, I said it was the ideal, everyone would agree.  How achievable is a different matter

Yebbut, yebbut - the concept of the irradication of a virus is pure fantasy and shouldn't even enter your admirable thinking. Ideally it should never have been allowed to escape from the Wuhan lab in the first place.

Mr Wright, technically we could claim there is no COVID (to the best of our limited knowledge) on the Island but this virus is here to stay - forever and ever.  We cannot possibly remain a cut-off economically declining lump of rock and must accept that with CV circulating freely around the planet it will have to come and circulate in the Island's population as with every other virus we co-exist with mitigated by vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 31k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

Interesting new tech out there.

https://www.bosch-vivalytic.com/en/product/vivalytic-tests/pcr-test-for-sars-cov-2/

I've just seen an airline announce they've bought a TONNE of these and they are able to produce PCR test results within 1 hour and at a greatly reduced cost.

Would be intrigued to know the expert opinion on stuff like this. Would be very effective to have a bank of these at the airport as part of an on-arrival test? 99% accuracy, unlike traditional rapid tests e.g. lateral flow.

19 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Testing is great. But all it can do is tell you how many new cases you've successfully imported. 

Testing isn't a standalone solution. Politicians should be careful making promises of false hope to those who are desperate for the borders to be opened. 

Who said testing was a standalone solution?

Testing and isolation are the solution when used together and regularly reviewed based on levels in then UK and result we get at day 1, 6 and 13.

Eg, test 1000 people and see no positives at day 13 then change to 1, 4 and 9 and reduce the isolation to 10 days.

Get loads of day 13 results then move to a later test and longer isolation.

People just want to see sensible precautions and flexibility.  Noone is going to object to longer isolation if it can be evidenced thatbits needed

4 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Yebbut, yebbut - the concept of the irradication of a virus is pure fantasy and shouldn't even enter your admirable thinking. Ideally it should never have been allowed to escape from the Wuhan lab in the first place.

Mr Wright, technically we could claim there is no COVID (to the best of our limited knowledge) on the Island but this virus is here to stay - forever and ever.  We cannot possibly remain a cut-off economically declining lump of rock and must accept that with CV circulating freely around the planet it will have to come and circulate in the Island's population as with every other virus we co-exist with mitigated by vaccine.

Do you worry about Polio? Thought not.  Still present in the world, but not over here.  Eliminated thanks to physical measures and effective vaccination.

Covid won't be the same, but in the years to come it will become a non-problem, and in places such as here, probably eliminated locally for most of the year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Testing is great. But all it can do is tell you how many new cases you've successfully imported. 

Testing isn't a standalone solution. Politicians should be careful making promises of false hope to those who are desperate for the borders to be opened. 

Testing does more than that - it identifies your cases, so they can stop spreading the disease and possible be treated. 

But there are no standalone solutions and a whole range of different things have to be used: testing, tack and trace, genomics, isolation, social measures, lockdowns, vaccination, travel restrictions and so on.  It seems to me the real difference in arguments about this is between those who realise this and those who think there is some sort of magic bullet - be it testing, vaccination or just pretending the virus isn't there - that will miraculously solve everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Testing does more than that - it identifies your cases, so they can stop spreading the disease and possible be treated. 

But there are no standalone solutions and a whole range of different things have to be used: testing, tack and trace, genomics, isolation, social measures, lockdowns, vaccination, travel restrictions and so on.  It seems to me the real difference in arguments about this is between those who realise this and those who think there is some sort of magic bullet - be it testing, vaccination or just pretending the virus isn't there - that will miraculously solve everything.

And those who think we need to stay as is until the UK "have it under control"

5 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Will take to long.

Get things moving again and if people want to shield until they get a vaccine that's their shout.  Set a system up where those who want to do that get priority on the vaccine lists so they don't have to wait to long

Absolutely not! The uk situation is still crazy. When they have their cases under control and are out of lockdown, then consider easing it. 

At the moment, your relatives could not visit anyway because it is against their lockdown. 

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Absolutely not! The uk situation is still crazy. When they have their cases under control and are out of lockdown, then consider easing it. 

At the moment, your relatives could not visit anyway because it is against their lockdown. 

Wrong on both counts.

What is thenacgual.risk of travel here at the moment? That someone might have to isolate in their accommodation for longer than 14 days or in an extremely rare case might need medical attention?

You second point.  Are you suggesting there are no commercial flights, ferries or trains out of the UK at all at the moment because people arent allowed to travel to terminals to leave the country?

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

You second point.  Are you suggesting there are no commercial flights, ferries or trains out of the UK at all at the moment because people arent allowed to travel to terminals to leave the country?

Given how loosely the UK has enforced any COVID related measures, aside from the odd fine, I don't think they're any measure to go by.

18 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Wrong on both counts.

What is thenacgual.risk of travel here at the moment? That someone might have to isolate in their accommodation for longer than 14 days or in an extremely rare case might need medical attention?

If people in the uk followed their rules, rather than make it up as they go along, they should only leave home for essential travel only. They are not allowed to leave their home area except for essential reasons. Going on holiday is not essential. So, regardless planes, trains and ferries, they are currently stuffed! 

11 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If people in the uk followed their rules, rather than make it up as they go along, they should only leave home for essential travel only. They are not allowed to leave their home area except for essential reasons. Going on holiday is not essential. So, regardless planes, trains and ferries, they are currently stuffed! 

Big generalisation accepted but

UK approach - Well here is the new rule. Now how can I get round it?

IOM approach- Well here is the new rule. How can I make sure I comply with it?

The result of the difference is clear.apologies for those who live in the UK as this does not apply to everyone, but knowing plenty of folks there, including family, there is clearly a different culture.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Big generalisation accepted but

UK approach - Well here is the new rule. Now how can I get round it?

IOM approach- Well here is the new rule. How can I make sure I comply with it?

The result of the difference is clear.apologies for those who live in the UK as this does not apply to everyone, but knowing plenty of folks there, including family, there is clearly a different culture.

I think the tides are shifting here too. Just look at the vocal lot after the police said you probably shouldn't be going out to buy that wardrobe on Facebook buy and sell groups.

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think the tides are shifting here too. Just look at the vocal lot after the police said you probably shouldn't be going out to buy that wardrobe on Facebook buy and sell groups.

It is.  A couple I shopped for in the first lockdown were very pragmatic and stoical, despite having to isolate from each other in their own home, twice, during that time.

Now, they are saying things like "when they let us out", so perhaps even they are feeling imprisoned rather than protected. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I guess the good behaviour will start to wane as the lockdown continues. 

However I took the dog for a walk at lunchtime and people avoided me like I had the plague.  Crossing the road etc. Masks everywhere. Hardly any traffic. Then I watched BBC news and there was an article filmed in a UK park. Folks everywhere, sat together on benches, hardly any masks, kids mixing. The article wasnt even focusing on that, it was just going on on the background as if it was life as normal. 

To be honest I think there is more of a feeling this time that the lockdown is temporary and unlikely to last long, and so there is no real need to adjust to a different way of thinking.  This only reflects government thinking and announcements, so you can't really blame them.

• Like 1