Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Pretty concerning and possibly over the top predictions of a winter second wave being bandied about the UK media this morning. I'm still concerned that because of our 'success' both people and the government here are possibly being a bit complacent about things. I hope that behind the scenes there is some serious prep going on. Tynwald still taking the summer off yeah? 

It was only two weeks ago that our own government were stating publicly that a second wave was fairly inevitable? 
 

https://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/allinson-fears-second-covid-wave-may-be-inevitable/

Edited by manxst
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you guys start a separate thread titled "Jersey is ace - oh no it isn't" and leave this one to a discussion on IOM and the coronavirus?

I'll put a big disclaimer here that I'm not the person who decides who gets tested and when.  Saying that, I am a scientist who understands that if you test someone on the day they arrive and the

Early on in all this I remember calculating (from a published paper) that Log(t) (where t is the time from exposure to testing positive) follows a normal distribution.  These figures may well now have

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Pretty concerning and possibly over the top predictions of a winter second wave being bandied about the UK media this morning. I'm still concerned that because of our 'success' both people and the government here are possibly being a bit complacent about things. I hope that behind the scenes there is some serious prep going on. Tynwald still taking the summer off yeah? 

The hospitals in Cornwall are on full alert for a second wave in Sept (I think), it's expected to be worse than the first wave which wasn't too bad.

Some of the tourists are just f**king stupid.

Also I doubt the TT 2021 will go ahead, there's a lot to do before anything like that can be safely held.

Edited by GD4ELI
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Because we're virus free and people want the borders open. All over the world cases are shooting up and places which seemed to have it under control are putting restrictions back. I guess its a kind of fatigue really, no virus here so ignore what is going on elsewhere, things must be alright. 

 

Theres a few places that have had a spike but the majority the numbers are coming down. Scotland for example reported 9 new cases yesterday back end if last week it was under 20 new cases

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Theres a few places that have had a spike but the majority the numbers are coming down. Scotland for example reported 9 new cases yesterday back end if last week it was under 20 new cases

I admire your optimism. 

The Scottish leadership has clearly and obviously taken things seriously, their lockdown was stricter than England and they have been slower to open up too. There is a broadly positive downwards trend across the UK and Europe as a whole, and it appears that the tracing systems are having an effect, with smaller localised lockdowns rather than widespread national ones. Would that work here when inevitable cases arise because people can't be trusted to stay at home when they come back from a trip? Isolate Ramsey for a couple of weeks because someone got the boat and spent Friday night in the Stanley? Tricky situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Pretty concerning and possibly over the top predictions of a winter second wave being bandied about the UK media this morning. I'm still concerned that because of our 'success' both people and the government here are possibly being a bit complacent about things. I hope that behind the scenes there is some serious prep going on. Tynwald still taking the summer off yeah? 

I too am concerned about the complacency. How many have already been fined or jailed for breaching lock-down rules? Even allegedly sensible people are under investigation for it.

I'm expecting by mid/end August we'll be on lockdown again - or at least major businesses shut down - after a couple of pond life head off to Spain and return and head to Quids Inn or Jaks for a beer. And all the good work undone within weeks.

Just on pubs and restaurants alone, potentially £millions lost to the economy and numerous unemployed - due to a couple of idiots. And unfortunately, the island is not short of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Some worrying news on a Sky News report yesterday evening too, concerning the fallout from COVID. Italy, one of the first countries to be hit badly by the pandemic is now reporting long term, if not permanent, effects to surviving victims including organ damage to kidneys and livers as well as the lungs and also spinal complications.

It's also  being suggested that those who develop immunity to COVID19 can lose that immunity in only 3 months, leaving them open to re-infection almost straight away.

This virus is a long way from being understood or dealt with yet.

Indeed. There's one thing it ain't.... and that's "just another flu virus", as some on here pointed out at the initial outbreak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Some worrying news on a Sky News report yesterday evening too, concerning the fallout from COVID. Italy, one of the first countries to be hit badly by the pandemic is now reporting long term, if not permanent, effects to surviving victims including organ damage to kidneys and livers as well as the lungs and also spinal complications.

It's also  being suggested that those who develop immunity to COVID19 can lose that immunity in only 3 months, leaving them open to re-infection almost straight away.

This virus is a long way from being understood or dealt with yet.

I also don't hold out much hope for a vaccine to be honest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious to garner opinion from the 'keep the Island locked down' brigade on how long they would like to see the current restrictions (14 day quarantine) continue given the virus looks to be around in one form or another indefinitely? 

Six months? One year? Two years? Longer .....

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Curious to garner opinion from the 'keep the Island locked down' brigade on how long they would like to see the current restrictions (14 day quarantine) continue given the virus looks to be around in one form or another indefinitely? 

Six months? One year? Two years? Longer .....

IMO....till the vulnerable have been vaccinated and the infection rate and mortality rate are greatly reduced. Don't see why we should throw away our advantage of keeping our local economy going fully just because a couple of idiots want to go on holiday and not want to isolate after. 14 days of isolation might be inconvenient for many (though many can work from home) but it does save lives - and helps businesses stay open and operating with no restrictions.

14 days of isolation is a small price to pay, but might not be necessary if more accurate testing can free them from it days earlier.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The last few posts have guessed about TT being cancelled for next year, voiced concern about long term medical complications post virus and also speculation that a lockdown is inevitable due to the opening of borders. May I, in the interest of balance add a few concerns of my own. The impact of education on the next generation, the huge debt mountain and the broken economy that will also inevitably fall on the next generation, especially if we continue to stymie the economy, the loss of life and lessening of quality of life due to the NHS becoming the Covid Health Service. Fear and worry is counter productive and everyone needs to face up to the future and be positive. As had been said on so many occasions, it is not going away.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

The last few posts have guessed about TT being cancelled for next year, voiced concern about long term medical complications post virus and also speculation that a lockdown is inevitable due to the opening of borders. May I, in the interest of balance add a few concerns of my own. The impact of education on the next generation, the huge debt mountain and the broken economy that will also inevitably fall on the next generation, especially if we continue to stymie the economy, the loss of life and lessening of quality of life due to the NHS becoming the Covid Health Service. Fear and worry is counter productive and everyone needs to face up to the future and be positive. As had been said on so many occasions, it is not going away.

So we should just lock away the old and vulnerable then?

We have proved that isolation has killed it off here, no new cases for 50+ odd days. So surely isolating people on return is a small price to pay? We are lucky we can actually do it here - surrounded by a sea border.

I still think we should practice isolation on return till the vulnerable have been vaccinated and the infection rate and mortality rate are greatly reduced. Otherwise a free-for-all will mean that 20% of the locals here will lead awful lives for years - and even those who need other conventional hospital treatment, will find the hospital too busy to be able to sort them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be amiss of someone in the media to ask the Health Minister how many treatments have been delayed as a result of the current paralysis of medical services?

My belief is that the ‘keep borders closed’ mindset would quickly change if a family member was denied treatment or their livelihood was affected as a result of potential unemployment.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no doubt in my mind that the absolute worst thing is to have to go backwards and put restrictions back in place. No one wants that, some businesses barely survived once, many wouldn't again. As the main threat is importation then sadly the borders need to remain strictly controlled for as long as it takes. It's one if those risk calculations someone far more intelligent than me needs to make, I personally would prefer that calculation made on the cautious side. It's as much protecting the domestic economy as health right now. I suppose some essential business travel should probably be allowed, but it's got to be essential, not some jolly for the sake of it. People planning holidays really need to just put that on hold.

There are some incredibly clever people out there, eventually a solution will turn up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Furthermore ... I believe we’ll see a complete change in attitude from some when the MERA / Wage Support Scheme ends & reality bites (hard).

Totally agree sadly as in many ways the real effects of Covid 19 is still to be felt. Finacially , mentally and physically is going to really bite later this year . 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...