IOM Covid removing restrictions

2 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Don't forget the MF advisory panel. We know more than all them Government experts put together.

I don't think anyone has said they know more, but have offered opinions and discussion, often with links to other sources, some credible, some not.

This discussion could have been cut down to one page with a succession of "Ooh, I don't really know" posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 31.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

She studied medicine at Oxford and Middlesex Hospital and was a junior doctor in the RAF.  Some people don't understand that  PhD is not the same as a medical doctor. 

Yes, yes, yes, that's very good. But the 'Doctor' thing, ie the PhD thing, is in Philosophy.

Rather than just some, I'm sure that lots of people don't understand that PhD is not the same as a medical doctor. I am not criticizing per se, she does a very, very, good job, but the clarification under the circumstances is relevant.

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Yes, yes, yes, that's very good. But the 'Doctor' thing, ie the PhD thing, is in Philosophy.

Rather than just some, I'm sure that lots of people don't understand that PhD is not the same as a medical doctor. I am not criticizing per se, she does a very, very, good job, but the clarification under the circumstances is relevant.

She is a medical doctor who happens to hold a PhD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Banker said:

Wasn’t government using Courtney heading to promote & attract Biomed business?

Indeed.  Obviously a much more credible figure than Dr Glover in their eyes.  What with him being male.  And not Manx.  And keen on motorbikes.  And knowing sod all about the subject (so he doesn't make them feel stupid).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Indeed.  Obviously a much more credible figure than Dr Glover in their eyes.  What with him being male.  And not Manx.  And keen on motorbikes.  And knowing sod all about the subject (so he doesn't make them feel stupid).

And he has a surname as a first name which makes him really credible. 

11 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Fair play then, thanks for clarifying. that didn't come across in the tweet.

Not to you or other people who wanted to see negativity where there was none, but that’s EXACTLY how myself and a lot of other people read it. Maybe with Dr Glover now clarifying matters (not that she needed to), it might sway a few people away from their opinion of how great the government has handled this matter. Wont hold my breath though- for every factual statement against HQ and co, another government apologist seems to crop up (or just the same boring few repeating ad nauseum). 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Hands up to admit for the first time I can see that rapid genomics could clarify here, and that I don’t in a million years believe they have identified every positive case based the seemingly high transmission rates in those they have tested.

Thank you.  For the first time in a long time I've just breathed a huge sigh of relief that someone has 'got it'.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Newbie said:

That is why I said it depends what is meant by being supplied at cost.

When I was working cost was cost. Didn’t include any element of profit or loss. Quite easy to work out the cost of any job done and see what profit was made. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Don't forget the MF advisory panel. We know more than all them Government experts put together.

I think the MF advisory board are just sharing thoughts among other like minded folk, it would be a poor forum if you were only allowed to follow the Gov line, I always thought we are allowed to have an opinion, just show's we clearly know FA and should not take part in any subject unless we run it past the Gov shill's first.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Gladys said:

She is a medical doctor who happens to hold a PhD.

I appreciate the clarification. And just to explain the origins and reasons of my original concern:

The misnomer "Independent Review Board" that looks into complaints at Nobles Hospital once had a Doctor on the panel (may still have ICBA to look) . It was my personal opinion but I believed him to be a bit of a twerp and hardly suitable for the job. My fears were confirmed when he turned out to have a Doctorate in a completely non-medical field but clearly got some sort of buzz at being on such an important panel where he received immediate - but somewhat unwarranted - respect.

Also: the Health Services Consultative Committee was once chaired by a Doctor who rather enjoyed the interviews and publicity on Manx Radio etc. Especially when the ;Dr; title was delivered. But her Doctorate was in English and gained in latter life at the Open University or some such. 

All well and good of course, and it is nice to have educated people in such roles.

But it provides a lot more confidence under the circumstances when people's immediate belief that they are dealing with Doctors in medicine, is not dashed by the eventual realization that they are dealing with something rather different.