IOM Covid removing restrictions

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is exactly the point, there is no single answer but a combination of weapons to fight this with. I just can't understand why they are not all being used.  Say, another lockdown is proposed because it looks like there is more than one cluster operating, wouldn't it be good to have genomics to confirm or otherwise?

Good. But not vital. Its that tool that's in my toolbox that I only use for special projects. Think its called a spirit level.:o

• Replies 20.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think the other thing to reinforce is:

Genomics doesn't replace contact tracing.

But, you only have a certain contact tracing capacity, genomics helps you target that to the right places.

If my understanding is correct, it would also 100% confirm that Person A did catch it from Person B and so could prove the transmission chain. At the moment whilst there's a high level of certainty that for example the 2 cases in Java are linked, there is still a chance that they aren't. Much prefer it when there's certainty.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Every time a virus moves from person it varies slightly but it still carries with it markers of the previous infection.

I am not sure that is true though is it?. There are certainly several thousand strains of Sars cov 2. The website here puts it at 3931 worldwide, though doubtless there will be strains that haven't had genomic studies done. Either way, during that time there have been over 100 million people infected worldwide, so clearly it doesn't mutate every time it gets transmitted. In fact, if the figure is anywhere near correct, it overwhelmingly doesn't mutate when it passes from one person to another, and it is apparently considered to be a very stable virus.

If that is the case, whilst I can see the value of genomics in trying to connect seemingly unrelated cases, and looking back at historic data (and every little helps in the fight), some of the claims about its ability to track routes of transmission seem a bit optimistic. Perhaps I have misunderstood something and @rachomics might have a take on it

3 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Largely from those who are usually hysterical anyway.

I do wonder what some people are moaning about.  Nothing stopping them from staying in/shielding  etc themselves.  

There's a small number of cases.  The health service isn't overwhelmed.  

Really. Who told you? Your mate down the pub? Aye, your mate down the fucking boozer?

The health services/ITU is under strain as it is. Right here, right now. 'Covid-free' Isle of Man.

You happy to wheel a few Covid cases in there to see how they cope?

Edited by Barlow
15 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I am not sure that is true though is it?. There are certainly several thousand strains of Sars cov 2. The website here puts it at 3931 worldwide, though doubtless there will be strains that haven't had genomic studies done. Either way, during that time there have been over 100 million people infected worldwide, so clearly it doesn't mutate every time it gets transmitted. In fact, if the figure is anywhere near correct, it overwhelmingly doesn't mutate when it passes from one person to another, and it is apparently considered to be a very stable virus.

If that is the case, whilst I can see the value of genomics in trying to connect seemingly unrelated cases, and looking back at historic data (and every little helps in the fight), some of the claims about its ability to track routes of transmission seem a bit optimistic. Perhaps I have misunderstood something and @rachomics might have a take on it

This is where it gets confusing. You're completely right with the number of strains etc. But, we're looking beyond just the strains.

When you sequence the virus, you get, per Dr G's blog, you get tens of thousands of individual bits of data, describing the make-up of the virus. If you can look at all of those, you can build up a clear picture of how that sample directly relates to another.

In samples of the same strain, a number of those bits of data will match, letting you know you're looking at that strain. But, you then look at the rest as well, that gives you those mutations, or, copying errors, that give you the really detailed genomics.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Really. Who told you? Your mate down the pub? Aye, your mate down the fucking boozer?

The health services/ITU is under strain as it is. Right here, right now. 'Covid-free' Isle of Man.

You happy to wheel a few Covid cases in there to see how they cope?

Seems a bit TJ style over dramatic.

You're going to have to learn to live with Covid.  As scary a thought as that might be to you.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Looks like the borders easing policy document will be released shortly after all MHKs have had input , god knows what Moorehouse & Cregeen will add in!!!

Are the seagulls observing the T&C’s of their entry certificate direction notices? We should be told.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3