IOM Covid removing restrictions

Just now, dilligaf said:

Does it really need scrutiny ? What’s the problem here ?

The problem is there has been a breach in our protective borders and that there would seem to be a differing view of what the applicable regulations were that has caused it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 31.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Does it really need scrutiny ? What’s the problem here ?

Argh. It’s that time of night. It’s woken up.

yes, rules, legislation and regulations need scrutiny to try and prevent yet further examples of our islands population being infected by covid. It will undoubtedly happen, but it’s best that we at least try and keep it out as much as we can, no? If government departments or state owned companies don’t know what they’re doing or supposed to be doing, and the government themselves haven’t a clue what’s happening, as seems to be the case, then scrutiny is required and potentially an overhaul to make things better. 

Edited by manxst
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, manxst said:

Argh. It’s that time of night. It’s woken up.

yes, rules, legislation and regulations need scrutiny to try and prevent yet further examples of our islands population being infected by covid. It will undoubtedly happen, but it’s best that we at least try and keep it out as much as we can, no? If government departments or state owned companies don’t know what they’re doing or supposed to be doing, and the government themselves haven’t a clue what’s happening, as seems to be the case, then scrutiny is required and potentially an overhaul to make things better. 

Well done. 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Just need Howie to start a jail them chant for poor steam packet workers which will them be taken up by the masses!!

You do get a vague sense of maybe that’s what is coming at some stage.

Lots of opinions and no facts.

We don't know what the direction said and even if we did, if the act took place outside IOM waters then the direction doesn't apply anyway. Talk of jail is just nonsense at present. Come on folks get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Banker said:

You can see on Facebook that any criticism of Howie or Ashie is immediately attacked by any plenty defending them & praising them for saving us.

Just need Howie to start a jail them chant for poor steam packet workers which will them be taken up by the masses!!

There always seems to be a slightly panicky edge to the pro-government pile-ons that you see in these circumstances, especially when many seem to be responding the remarks or questions that weren't actually made.  Now I'm not saying that Quayle and co are employing Russian (or even Rushen) troll farms to 'defend' their reputation, but you get the impression that there are a fair number of people who are deeply upset by the sheer idea of any sort of scrutiny of the government and will defend it automatically with arrogance and inaccuracy.  Why that might be ...

Meanwhile they seem to pulling back on demands to punish the Packet:

which suggests they've looked at the legal side. 

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There always seems to be a slightly panicky edge to the pro-government pile-ons that you see in these circumstances, especially when many seem to be responding the remarks or questions that weren't actually made.  Now I'm not saying that Quayle and co are employing Russian (or even Rushen) troll farms to 'defend' their reputation, but you get the impression that there are a fair number of people who are deeply upset by the sheer idea of any sort of scrutiny of the government and will defend it automatically with arrogance and inaccuracy.  Why that might be ...

Meanwhile they seem to pulling back on demands to punish the Packet:

which suggests they've looked at the legal side. 

The boy David could of combed his hair before going on ITV tonight! Oh anyone got any suggestions for a better shampoo for Henny?

7 hours ago, finlo said:

The boy David could of combed his hair before going on ITV tonight! Oh anyone got any suggestions for a better shampoo for Henny?

Dreadful haircuts and badly fitting clothes are de riguer for these occasions. It's to make the rest of us feel better.

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, piebaps said:

Lots of opinions and no facts.

We don't know what the direction said and even if we did, if the act took place outside IOM waters then the direction doesn't apply anyway. Talk of jail is just nonsense at present. Come on folks get a grip.

Stepping back a second, I’m sure that the person in question who got tested when they should have and has been isolating since, feels awful about the current situation. 

Assuming they followed the terms of their direction notice, they’re not in the wrong. So let’s not start throwing around that crews heads should roll yet, even if the CM wants to. 

7 hours ago, finlo said:

There’s so much we can knock about their policy, attitudes and behaviours, we don’t need to stoop to the level of snickering about a hair cut. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
13 hours ago, rachomics said:

Fabulous. Could you point me in the direction of the accreditation of the Liverpool Lab? I know most of the COG-UK guys and not one of their labs has an accreditation to their names...

I apologise for the ill informed use of the word accreditation....again! It wasn't what I meant to say

The word I should have used is 'assurance' or perhaps validation. Accreditation is a type of assurance and possibly not always the best.

My exploration of the point is not to discredit the ability of your laboratory to perform this testing. It has never been that. What I want to understand is the reason the IOM Gov don't choose it use it. The angry mob on here (and you have an enviable following) assume its just because HQ is sulking because you spoke out.

There are a few possibilities that would explain the choice (cost and location being exempted) . Starting with the most positive

1) That the IOM Gov wish to be in with the gang and use a UK wide string of laboratories that are hosted by fine academic institutions which purport to share all the data. Maybe they think that it would be thought of badly if one of the CDs took a route of its own. Defra in the UK have an influence on us whether we like it or not

2) That the DHSS believe that the assurance and investment and the obvious massive resources that the UK University labs have (funded from UK government) is the best option

3) Maybe they are just sulking along with HQ or don't want to upset him. 

We may all have a view on what the reason is. Some more cynical than others. But we don't know. HQ publicly stated that IOM Gov considered the LPL laboratory to be the 'best' choice. he didn't explain the criteria for assessing 'bestness' but I suspect if pushed 1) or 2) would be cited.

Its not going to change is it (and the angry mob are now focused on how mean the government has been to the SPCo):rolleyes: