IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 4/22/2020 at 5:17 AM, Filippo said:

The title of the posting makes it clear where I stand; I see the lockdown as a politically motivated act of social and economic vandalism. There is little evidence that the lockdown is achieving much as concerns limiting the direct damage from the pandemic: countries that have introduced social-distancing on a mostly voluntary basis (Sweden, The Netherlands, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea) while keeping most of their economies open and afloat are having much lower Covid-19 deaths per-capita than us. It tells about the competence (or lack thereof) of our authorities to achieve anything apart from crashing the economy and depleting public coffers.

The evidence of that bonehead failure is staggering (figures as of the 20th of April):

Cases     Deaths
    Isle of Man       300           9
    Singapore         8,014       11
    Hong Kong       1,206        4

The population of Hong Kong is 7.45 million versus 86K on this island. It means that on this island, the per-capita fatality of Covid-19 is 7,450 / 86 x 9 / 4 = 195 times that of Hong Kong. Same virus, but nearly 200 times more deadly on these shores! Hallelujah.

Yes, I know that IOM’s population is older on average. But also note these other circumstances. In Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea the pandemic started nearly two months before us; the authorities here had nearly two months to prepare, and did nothing or very little about it. Furthermore, it is enormously more difficult to control a pandemic in such densely populated regions as Hong Kong and Singapore (the land surface of this island is nearly as much as Singapore’s, think). In Singapore, most of the contagion has come from immigrants’ dormitories where ten people sleep in a room; we don’t have here that kind of unmanageable problems on the IOM. It should have been comparably much easier for us.

Basically, the authorities here have been good at crashing the economy and stopping us from living our lives; while achieving very little as concerns mitigating the direct damage from the pandemic. They have little to show for the sacrifice imposed on us.

Listen to the pathetic speech of our politicians: I protect the island, I protect the island and I protect the island. Brainless. Brainless justification for trashing civil liberties, endangering our economic, physical and mental well-being, imposing on us a busybody police state. The politicians succeeded in positioning themselves such as to deflect or take the least blame for the situation of the pandemic. The police succeeded in jailing for months some low-lifers for having parties (keep reading about those sentences nearly every day now on IOM Today and Manx News and it makes me cringe). Good job.

Covid 19!   Biggest HOAX the earth has ever seen!    CORONA = 666  

Only way to bring in new "fake laws" and The mark of the beast is upon! 

Edited by 1Enoch

33 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Mr Toad has caved in to the - err - angling lobby, so they can shortly go out and catch heir little fishies again.  Wow, the incisive strategic mind at work.

But to be fair it was a stupid rule that wasn’t in law. As Hooper says some sort of formal guidance should be issued rather than them just policing this on the fly then changing their minds and looking stupid. 

Edited by Grayson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Mr Toad has caved in to the - err - angling lobby, so they can shortly go out and catch heir little fishies again.  Wow, the incisive strategic mind at work.

But it never made sense to say that some forms of fishing were safe and others weren't.  Unless he was claiming that proximity to salt water magically killed the virus or you caught it off trout.  Otherwise the restrictions should work or not whatever the surroundings.  I suspect it was just DEFA doing something for the sake of doing something.

The dickheads moaning about fishing weren't anglers as such. They were lockdowners who were looking for something recreational to do and fishing didn't really count as permitted exercise. This now at least will stop their whining. They'll no doubt move onto something else to moan about.

• Like 3

Anything that doesn't breach social distancing rules, or can be arranged so it won't breach the rules should be allowed to resume ! A time will come when mental welfare will become a real issue for a captive population !

27 minutes ago, asitis said:

Anything that doesn't breach social distancing rules, or can be arranged so it won't breach the rules should be allowed to resume ! A time will come when mental welfare will become a real issue for a captive population !

Get a job with Heritage Homes,that'll give you all the freedom you'll need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Can you provide examples of where the Police have made things up as they go along?

No overtaking. 

They’ve said this several times on social media. then they have to backtrack and say it’s only advice. 

There’s still signs on the mountain road saying “no overtaking, no exceptions” 

Then they have to acknowledge you can overtake cyclists and farm vehicles  and it’s not actually illegal to overtake a slow moving car as long as it’s safe and you don’t break the speed limit. So exactly as normal then.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

That and the fact when you notice someone obviously breaking the social distance rules,if it isn't a known scumbag,they don't bother. 

what a load of tripe. I have personally seen them move people on along the prom