Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 31k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Banker

    2302

  • TheTeapot

    1340

  • Gladys

    1181

  • horatiotheturd

    1015

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

Just now, Billy kettlefish said:

Maybe so, but one no show is one to many. 

I think there will always be the odd no show. We are talking old people, some have to get buses etc.

However, why not just send 10 invites out to volunteers who will turn up at the end of the day and take a jab if there are spares. Its not rocket science is it?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Raffles said:

By all accounts, it's going mental around everywhere. Several of my friends/colleagues know people now diagnosed positive or are isolating. I'm hearing over 200 households now isolating. Wtf. Is this down to not locking down properly last week? Not blaming govt, as they are living and learning. Quite understandably, they didn't want to lockdown unless absolutely necessary. 

Totally agree with charging people for missed vacs, drs or dentists appts btw.

It only has to get into one or two schools and that’s easily the pattern. It’s probably been boiling away there for a week as most kids don’t get symptoms anyway. What was one of the first low risk venues a kids gym club? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happier diner said:

I think there will always be the odd no show. We are talking old people, some have to get buses etc.

However, why not just send 10 invites out to volunteers who will turn up at the end of the day and take a jab if there are spares. Its not rocket science is it?

At last a voice of reason. Well said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, snowman said:

The CEO of the Steam Packet has seemingly avoided alot of criticsm. He too should be vilified - the same as people are with government 

I'll just repeat what I said the other night:

  On 3/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, Andy Onchan said:

Rear Admiral Woodcock (sometimes known as the CEO of IOMSPCo) has been unusually quiet about this saga. He's normally straight on to the media defending the IOMSPCo but so far I haven't heard or seen anything from him. I wonder why?

Experience tells us that when the Manx Government is running round shouting "Nothing to see here!"[1] and the other party is saying absolutely nothing, then it's usually fairly easy to work out who has won (and probably gone away with their pockets stuffed).

[1]  As noted above Quayle managed both "draw a line under the situation" and "lessons to be learned" yesterday.  Half the country must have shouted "House!".

The truth is the Steam Packet were almost certainly given no viable or legally enforceable directions, and even if they had been it wasn't till almost a year too late.  They seem to have followed international guidelines, which look to have been fairly effective till now, given no previous outbreaks.

There will always be the risk that transport workers will get infected no matter how careful they are (the current NZ cluster comes from an Airport worker, perhaps with no direct contact with who infected them).  The important thing is how quickly and efficiently the country reacts.  And the answer here is "Not very".

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

However, why not just send 10 invites out to volunteers who will turn up at the end of the day and take a jab if there are spares. Its not rocket science is it?

It's not that many (it was 15 a week, not a day) but Hooper made the important point in his interview with Moulton that the real problem is the way the local team aren't allowed to use their common sense to do this sort of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

Maybe so, but one no show is one to many. 

Total bollocks.

There isn't a single appointment/ bookings business anywhere in the world that wouldn't be delighted if just 15 out of 5000 per week didn't show up.

Sometimes people can't make appointments and these things happen at very short notice.  I'm actually surprised it is so few.

Edited by TerryFuchwit
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'll just repeat what I said the other night:

  On 3/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, Andy Onchan said:

Rear Admiral Woodcock (sometimes known as the CEO of IOMSPCo) has been unusually quiet about this saga. He's normally straight on to the media defending the IOMSPCo but so far I haven't heard or seen anything from him. I wonder why?

Experience tells us that when the Manx Government is running round shouting "Nothing to see here!"[1] and the other party is saying absolutely nothing, then it's usually fairly easy to work out who has won (and probably gone away with their pockets stuffed).

[1]  As noted above Quayle managed both "draw a line under the situation" and "lessons to be learned" yesterday.  Half the country must have shouted "House!".

The truth is the Steam Packet were almost certainly given no viable or legally enforceable directions, and even if they had been it wasn't till almost a year too late.  They seem to have followed international guidelines, which look to have been fairly effective till now, given no previous outbreaks.

There will always be the risk that transport workers will get infected no matter how careful they are (the current NZ cluster comes from an Airport worker, perhaps with no direct contact with who infected them).  The important thing is how quickly and efficiently the country reacts.  And the answer here is "Not very".

A good point. But it is illegal to enter the Island without isolating for 2 or 3 weeks. Its OK the Union and everybody spouting off about how lucky we are to have hardworking crew etc. etc. etc. But the responsibility is on the individual to comply with the law. There is nothing in the act that says its ok to ignore it so long as you are a SPCo worker. Its the SPCo's duty to look after its staff and offer the cover of an exemption certificate which they must have done. If the individuals have complied with the exemption certificate then they are ok. 

However, neither the government or the SPco can have broken the law, only the individual. If the individual has complied with the terms of the exemption they are in the clear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Total bollocks.

There isn't a single appointment/ bookings business anywhere in the world that wouldn't be delighted if just 15 out of 22000 didn't show up.

Sometimes people can't make appointments and these things happen at very short notice.  I'm actually surprised it is so few.

Oh well that's OK then let's all just carry on with everything as normal what is a few missed and wasted vaccines, there is plenty to go around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Total bollocks.

There isn't a single appointment/ bookings business anywhere in the world that wouldn't be delighted if just 15 out of 5000 per week didn't show up.

Sometimes people can't make appointments and these things happen at very short notice.  I'm actually surprised it is so few.

I think to be fair to Mr Kettlefish

Perhaps we could agree "Maybe so, but one  wasted vaccination is one to many. "

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

 But it is illegal to enter the Island without isolating for 2 or 3 weeks. Its OK the Union and everybody spouting off about how lucky we are to have hardworking crew etc. etc. etc. But the responsibility is on the individual to comply with the law. 

So every crew member should isolate for two weeks after every return voyage?  You don't see a slight flaw in this plan?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

Oh well that's OK then let's all just carry on with everything as normal what is a few missed and wasted vaccines, there is plenty to go around. 

Well there is actually.

It's deluded to think some people will not miss appointments.  This is real life.  It happens.

Go and have a look at the board in Palatine Group Practice.  Each week is has the number of missed appointments. It happens.

Go and speak to any beauty therapist, chiropractor, hairdresser, optician, restaurant.  It happens.

What makes you think this would be any different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think you're being too kind.  If they were genuinely worried about the Island's reputation, they'd behave better and respond faster.  This is entirely about their own egos. 

That's me.  Too kind.  It's always been my downfall. 😊

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Billy kettlefish said:

Oh give it a rest, with the ur not a islander who cares were I come from, it is that small minded tiny island attitude that has got you in this pickle now. 

Neither am I, and I was merely pointing out one possible obstacle. I do however suggest you boot up your sense of humour if you are to remain sane (ish) on here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

So every crew member should isolate for two weeks after every return voyage?  You don't see a slight flaw in this plan?

did I say that?

I said that was the law unless you have a certificate of exemption. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...