IOM Covid removing restrictions

1 minute ago, Manx Yeller said:

So lateral flow testing has a 60% success rate so apparently no use. Surely that's better than the 0% success rate of not testing at all!

Well it means that you're not picking up 40% of the people who actually have Covid[1], which makes it pretty useless if you're using it to stop the disease spreading.

[1]  It depends who is doing the tests to some extent.

• Replies 31.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Manxas said:

Absolutely and most people would respect the self isolation and help protect the community. The problem is that we all know there are many who would choose to ignore the advice 

During the course of today the number of cars around on the roads that I've seen (during work) and the number of people out and about, sometimes with no sign of any social distancing, it would make me wonder if there's actually a lockdown in place at present.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Newbie said:

It is debatable. In Liverpool they actually found that 60% of Covid positive cases were not detected by Lateral Flow tests. That means 40% were detected which is good, but it may also give a false sense of security to the others who were missed, making it more likely that they would spread the virus. 

Hopefully the accuracy will improve because a rapid test would be really helpful.

Have a look at this 

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well it means that you're not picking up 40% of the people who actually have Covid[1], which makes it pretty useless if you're using it to stop the disease spreading.

If someone does 4 tests per week. On that basis, if positive one of them may actually work.

So they have a place - and could usefully be deployed.

Edited by snowman
2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Hardly useless. Say there's an asymptomatic case who goes into school, I'd prefer a test that had a 40% chance of picking it up rather than the 0% chance of them realising they have it since they are asymptomatic. Surely we should be using every possible means to avoid transmitting cases. If this finds even only 1 or 2 cases that wouldn't be found otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't be used 

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Glad its over. Youtube has auto played this today

I didn't know how much I missed that buzz until i saw that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Manx Yeller said:

Hardly useless. Say there's an asymptomatic case who goes into school, I'd prefer a test that had a 40% chance of picking it up rather than the 0% chance of them realising they have it since they are asymptomatic. Surely we should be using every possible means to avoid transmitting cases. If this finds even only 1 or 2 cases that wouldn't be found otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't be used 

Because it gives you false security that those in the school are Covid-free, while all you are actually doing is reducing the number of carriers a bit (and the ones that get through will probably be the asymptomatic ones).

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

During the course of today the number of cars around on the roads that I've seen (during work) and the number of people out and about, sometimes with no sign of any social distancing, it would make me wonder if there's actually a lockdown in place at present.

Agreed, a lot busier in and around Onchan than yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Exactly. We were out on our essential walk with our hound yesterday, giving the other pavement users space and generally trying to be decent human beings. A jogger ran up from behind us and passed so close you could feel and smell his breath and sweat. Absolutely no thought for anyone else 

6 minutes ago, Manxas said:

Exactly. We were out on our essential walk with our hound yesterday, giving the other pavement users space and generally trying to be decent human beings. A jogger ran up from behind us and passed so close you could feel and smell his breath and sweat. Absolutely no thought for anyone else 

If only you could have caught the fit bastard! I suppose another option would have been to...

s2Sv9jxSiblGohlD1Vn--Soju1n1t0uPTZGuyQrs

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because it gives you false security that those in the school are Covid-free, while all you are actually doing is reducing the number of carriers a bit (and the ones that get through will probably be the asymptomatic ones).

That can be managed though with the message behind it. If any child is showing symptoms, they stay off school and get the gold standard test, even if the previous flow test said they were ok. Those that go and have no symptoms, test them a couple of times a week. If it highlights any cases then surely that's a good thing. I still can't see the downside of it. If all I'm doing is "reducing the number of carriers a bit", surely that's what we are trying to do?

Genomics

So the results from a week ago show the unexplained cases were related through transmission from the SPCo cluster. 

So using the WHO/Manx definition they aren’t community spread.

Given how slavishly they follow this absurd definition the risk is that if St Rachel had reported that in next to real time we still wouldn’t be in lock down.

Be very careful of assumed magic wands and what you wish for!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, pongo said:

Is it too much to expect that most people would do the right thing out of respect for the rest of the community?

Well as most of them aren’t SPC workers then yes I would assume that they will all do the right thing and will not need to be monitored. Unlike SPC workers clearly who can do their own thing and are never checked up on anything!