IOM Covid removing restrictions

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, they should have watched Horizon last week which explained how necessary it is to go backwards to travel other pockets where other lines of infection may have gone. 

Maybe they did Gladys and that's why both HQ and DA have both made it clear this week that they are not experts on genomics. Getting ready to pass the blame onto others!

• Like 2
  • Replies 33.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally there's a slight discrepancy in today's figures.  They're claiming a total of 546 cases with 36 new ones.  But yesterday's total cases was 511 so there's a slip up somewhere.

I think he said there were three in hospital yesterday and two today, so I assumed there was one recovery. Would explain the discrepancy.

Edited by Cambon
23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If you use the cluster argument, could we not all be in the Wuhan cluster?  Just a silly definition on which to base a strategy.  Surely, the important thing is that you can backward trace to find other hidden pockets of infection then forward trace from there to find other pockets and so on, testing all the way.  

Well quite.  The idea of a community case was a good one originally because it distinguished those being infected in the community, from those who were already infected on arrival and tested positive while isolated, but hadn't had the chance to infect anyone outside their household.  That's how other countries (such as New Zealand) use it.

But the Manx government just altered the definition in an arbitrary manner so they could brag about having no community cases when they did.  They didn't fool anyone except themselves, but that delusion is probably responsible for this latest outbreak and lock down being so bad.  It took maybe 14 days from the first case till lockdown came in.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I think he said there were three in hospital yesterday and two today, so I assumed yore was one recovery. Would explain the discrepancy.

No because that's the total number of Covid cases ever, so recovery (or even release from hospital which would be something else) wouldn't change that.  You can't un-have Covid.  I suppose there could have been a false positive, but those are very rare and should be mentioned and explained.

I think it's just an addition error, but they ought to check and things such as the discrepancy on the 'unknown' number ought to be specifically explained as well.  These things matter because it shows they are actually thinking what the numbers mean rather than treating them like some sort of trophy.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

During the course of today the number of cars around on the roads that I've seen (during work) and the number of people out and about, sometimes with no sign of any social distancing, it would make me wonder if there's actually a lockdown in place at present.

Town was dead when I went in

• Like 1

I hope someone here will correct me, my memoryis not so good.

Last year our government boasted about how we beat the virus and unlike the (useless) English we did not have construction workers all over the place.  

Now we have changed our minds and they are working everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I hope someone here will correct me, my memoryis not so good.

Last year our government boasted about how we beat the virus and unlike the (useless) English we did not have construction workers all over the place.  

Now we have changed our minds and they are working everywhere. 

I think the problem is possibly a combination major construction companies having an undue amount of sway; needing to finish the prom ASAP; and a lot of the self employed construction workers not having their NI contributions correct so not qualifying for the support schemes.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

During the course of today the number of cars around on the roads that I've seen (during work) and the number of people out and about, sometimes with no sign of any social distancing, it would make me wonder if there's actually a lockdown in place at present.

They haven’t got the gall to police it after they’ve caused it. It’s got impossible to police anyway with so many tradesman working. If I need to go out I just take my van. You’ll never get pulled. There’s been no immediate Jack-boot wearing by the cops this time round either as everyone’s going to kick up sh*t the second someone is thrown in prison when the SPC worker who caused all this got to roam free.

They've lost any moral authority they might think they had. 

8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Why are you trying to blame the steam packet worker for this?

Am I not entitled to an opinion on the matter? Everyone else who has breached the rules has been blamed for breaching the rules. What’s different here? It seems clear now that the outbreak has been traced back to that breach doesn’t it?

Edited by CowMan
Typo
27 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I think the problem is possibly a combination major construction companies having an undue amount of sway; needing to finish the prom ASAP; and a lot of the self employed construction workers not having their NI contributions correct so not qualifying for the support schemes.

Plus paying support all the construction workers would probably be £10m pm or about half cost of last monthly cost

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CowMan said:

And the best way to protect these vulnerable obese people apparently is to lock them inside their houses, limit further their exercise, and put them in a mental state where many will resort to over drinking alcohol or over eating to cope. It makes a so much sense! 

I can't believe all the doom mongers on this forum, telling us how it's all the end of the world and we'll all die from alcohol induced covid doom. They make it all sound horrendously hopeless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I can't believe all the doom mongers on this forum, telling us how it's all the end of the world and we'll all die from alcohol induced covid doom. They make it all sound horrendously hopeless.

You’re not even funny even in parody mode 😉

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Why are you trying to blame the steam packet worker for this?

I don't think anyone one is blaming the SP specifically and definitely not the individual who is the index case, but there has been some sort of cock up which has allowed this to happen.  HQ has admitted as such, but in blander terms.  It is the cause of that cock up that is the issue and will be the subject of an independent inquiry, only if Tynwald wants it according to HQ yesterday. 

However,  it is a fact that the SP worker was the index case for the current bugger's muddle.  It is the outcome that it is a bugger's muddle that is the issue. 

• Like 1