IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20% population of the British Isles have  blood levels of vitamin D , as 25 (OH) D which is generally regarded as deficient.

70 % plus of our Vitamin D requirements are met from the effects of UVB from sunlight  on our skin, the small remainder is from our diet.

At our geographical latitude,   this is insufficient from early Nov to Mid April.To make up this shortfall by diet alone is impractical  There is a limit to how much  oily fish, egg yolk, sundried mushroooms, fortified magarine and breakfast cereals one can consume.

People with dark skin, people who rarely go out, care home residents, nursing mothers , the obese and the elderly are more likely to have low levels.
Hence the case for taking VitD.

Fortification isn’t new.In WW2 margarine was fortified with Vit D, still is.

Nordic countries mostly give supplements.(Finland since end of the war)

Levels needed to sustain bone health are lower than that required to  ensure immune resilience - white cell maturation and especially “modulation”  of immune response to infection,( avoiding the destructive “cytokine storm” of inflammatory over reaction and self- destruction seen in Covid infections) 

Several studies  looking at respiratory infections in general as well as Covid infections, show  lowered morbidity and mortality amongst those with an optimal level of Vit D and an increase likelihood of infection and poor outcome for those with  low or very low levels.

For the elderly, having an optimal level  there is strong evidence of  better muscle function, balance and reduced falls ( which if for no other reason is a case for its use) Less  firm evidence regarding improved cognitive function depression, and there is equivocal evidence in younger people regarding less auto immune disease and some evidence to suggest lower incidence of some malignancies, notably bowel 

Public health England  already do recommend everyone should receive Vitamin D supplements “all year or at least during winter” as does public health here in IOM ( look at the website )but they don’t  seem to promote it that strongly.

Very cheap , few pence day,  easily available, and for the vast majority very safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on this?

I agree 100 percent.  Just relying on civil servants is a recipe for disaster when we have so much expertise on island (he even broaches the Dr Glover subject)

Listen to the end.  Much of what he is saying is what many in here have been saying for months.

Listening to that interview is like a look inside my own thoughts for me and gives a glimmer of hope for the future.

There is huge talent on island.  Use it instead of relying on people who barely have any experience outside IOM civil service between them. Please, and quickly.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/avoid-bunker-mentality-and-hear-outside-advice-says-mhk/

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

Past presenters of multiple personas, sock puppets, have been told not post 'empty threads' banned or otherwise castigated off the forums.

I cant recollect any previous socks of youself . Peter, but there must have been a previous for you to know of past behaviour of these forums?

Go back to your original persona, be honest to yourself.

Other Posters have elected to present their selves as Govt Apologists, Terry fw and that other twit, something Reason, ? Yet when challenged, the old characters appear? TSM, MTP arose from the past apparently without any help from TERRYFW????

Peter ? if you want to opine on here, better to do so as yourself or your origional self as we will surely  find you out as any other persona?

Sock puppets are a bit of a nuisance on forums and for their selves, a waste, possibly, of their talents?

You are delusional and making no sense at all.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

GCSE and A levels cancelled.

Another casualty of poor governance.

The UK based exam boards regulated by Ofqual cancelled this summer’s exams in January.  This announcement refers to Cambridge International qualifications, these are not regulated by Ofqual, hence the separate announcement.  Surely part of governance is to act equitably, are you suggesting otherwise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Apple said:

Have been looking into the use of Vitamin D to enhance the immune system. Apparently it is highly recommended and seem to have a significant impact.

Does anyone have any personal experience of this or is it just another false dawn ?

Yes, I'm quite happy using it and certainly have not had any colds since doing so, (two years).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

If that means don't OD on suppliments for a vitamin that food and sunshine will give? Then I agree with you!

As I understand it it is impossible to get enough vitD through sunshine alone in the northern hemisphere, especially during the winter months. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

As I understand it it is impossible to get enough vitD through sunshine alone in the northern hemisphere, especially during the winter months. 

90% of the world don't get enough natural vitamin C and never have? If that was the case you would think we would have adapted by now.

55 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Thoughts on this?

I agree 100 percent.  Just relying on civil servants is a recipe for disaster when we have so much expertise on island (he even broaches the Dr Glover subject)

Listen to the end.  Much of what he is saying is what many in here have been saying for months.

Listening to that interview is like a look inside my own thoughts for me and gives a glimmer of hope for the future.

There is huge talent on island.  Use it instead of relying on people who barely have any experience outside IOM civil service between them. Please, and quickly.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/avoid-bunker-mentality-and-hear-outside-advice-says-mhk/

Completely agree. I wasted an hour of my time watching (well listening really as can't be doing with how close DA sits to his camera) the 3 YouTube videos of Paul Moulton and DA. The whole booking of vaccinations is actually worse than I thought. Not only does it involve a letter and then 2 phonecalls, seemingly they don't actually book people in unless they physically have the vaccine in stock on the IoM, as they are worried about having to potentially rearrange. This is a prime example of something that could easily have been improved if they used outside expertise. Glad that they have seemingly finally joined the 21st century and got the online registration sorted but this should have been done months ago. Wasting the good people of 111s time doing this process when they should be booking tests and dealing with medical queries is just crazy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

Thoughts on this?

Sadly as is often the case with egos there is an aversion to NMI's. (Not My Idea's). After all isn't the idea of CoMin meetings to have them explore options, take advice etc. and not just rubber stamp the next announcement.

However, false modesty aside, egos will always want all the credit and none of the blame. e.g., Bunker mentality.

It's there for all to see in most day-to-day interactions between departments, this has just elevated or exposed it at a national level. The sad part is not only does it cause delayed (and often mixed) messages to the public but also erodes trust and confidence in them when we need it most.

Everyone pulling together in the same direction with a clear goal.

Edited by CallMeCurious
missing 'them'
  • Like 1

I also see that there is to be a question on genomics asked by Lawrie Hooper. I hope he is better than most journalists and won't be fobbed off by the following DA phrases. Eyes down for a full house. "Doesn't matter which strain it is", "only useful for looking backwards", "can't be used to find missing cases" and potentially "I'm not an expert but". Any others?

• Like 1

Thoughts on this?

Totally agree, the emergency advisory committee is revealed as having no external advisors & headed up by Will Greenhow & Magson , taken 2 months to reveal this after Tynwald questions 

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

GCSE and A levels cancelled.

Another casualty of poor governance.

How so? When exams are cancelled across, what’s the point in persisting with them here? In years to come, any ‘exam results’ from 2020 & 2021 will be marked with a big asterisk explaining that covid happened and therefore the results aren’t directly comparable with other years. Why put our kids under unnecessary stress having to sit exams when the UK isn’t?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

I also see that there is to be a question on genomics asked by Lawrie Hooper. I hope he is better than most journalists and won't be fobbed off by the following DA phrases. Eyes down for a full house. "Doesn't matter which strain it is", "only useful for looking backwards", "can't be used to find missing cases" and potentially "I'm not an expert but". Any others?

"You know me, I'm very cautious", "pferfizer" and "where's that letter?".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4