IOM Covid removing restrictions

50 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

So that is absolutely fine and ok then. In YOUR way of thinking. 

The ability to doom surf here is quite spectacular. Amazing even. I didn't say say it was ok did I? I’m assuming your grasp of the English language is enough to realize that I didn’t say that. But it’s hardly a cause for mass panic is it? We got to 10 at one stage during the first lockdown and you have no idea at all whether any underlying conditions or age related factors are at play here. Most admissions last time didn’t result in deaths either. But no, let’s all just automatically pee our pants and spread panic as there’s been an increase in hospital admissions. 

Edited by CowMan
Typo and added words.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 31.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, CowMan said:

The doom surfers have to get their fix though so they can then post crap and spread panic to others all over social media about numbers of tests and infections rising etc etc like it means anything. Still nobody has died and 2 in hospital probably because they’re elderly or have underlying conditions. 

Nobody has died yet. It takes 3 to 4 weeks from symptoms showing for people to pass away of covid. This is a bit like people last weekend saying "it's only a couple of cases in the community what's everyone so worried about" or the week before that with "it's only a little cluster involving a coffee shop what's the panic" or a week before that when it was "just one person caught it from someone on the boat - what's everyone worried about".

It may seem like a lifetime ago but this has taken less than 4 weeks (12th February first reported case of UK based SP worker positive, 18th February Manx SP worker tested positive) to spread rapidly through the community because we haven't been socially distancing etc. We haven't even hit peak cases yet so it's far too early to be crowing on / trolling about nobody dying yet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 3/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, manxst said:

The ‘bandwagons’ (read: things that SHOULD have happened to prevent the calamitous state the island now finds itself in) that have been proved right. As opposed to your opinion which wasn’t. Yawn. Won’t reply again, as I’m sure people have better things to do than see us argue and you being wrong again. 
for info, my ‘sources’ are middle management DOI who I work directly with. Not from the pub or from your fantasy land from where your rationale and arguments come from. 

Well here is confirmation that the bus drivers haven't been done. I genuinely believe that the chief constable reference to transport workers was only referring to the SPCo. Could be wrong of course.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bus-drivers-want-to-move-up-vaccine-priority-list-says-unite/

2 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It may seem like a lifetime ago but this has taken less than 4 weeks (12th February first reported case of UK based SP worker positive, 18th February Manx SP worker tested positive) to spread rapidly through the community because we haven't been socially distancing etc. We haven't even hit peak cases yet so it's far too early to be crowing on / trolling about nobody dying yet.

I’m neither crowing or trolling but it seems that any comment on this forum that doesn’t transmit a persistent sense of doom and gloom is seen as such. Somebody may well die yet but it’s equally far too early to call the doom and gloom scenarios either. By far our main fatalities last time were care home related. Hardly anyone actually died in hospital. Still a few more in hospital and the death surfers are straight out with their end of the world predictions.  

• Sad 1
Just now, CowMan said:

I’m neither crowing or trolling but it seems that any comment on this forum that doesn’t transmit a persistent sense of doom and gloom is seen as such. Somebody may well die yet but it’s equally far too early to call the doom and gloom scenarios either. By far our main fatalities last time were care home related. Hardly anyone actually died in hospital. Still a few more in hospital and the death surfers are straight out with their end of the world predictions.  

Haha. If you are not a doom merchant or fiercely anti government, you will never be welcome on here. 

Good to see more people joining who are more objective with their views.

The situation is not good but we are now in day 4 of lockdown. Accepting intra household infections will rumble on for a few more days, we should see a downturn in new cases about Wednesday this week. That's if the great manx public do their duty.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Haha. If you are not a doom merchant or fiercely anti government, you will never be welcome on here. 

I just don’t understand how not automatically defaulting to doomsday scenarios in absolutely every post you make results in a claim of trolling. Half the problem is this bubble that’s been created. We seem to think that we’d be immune from a global pandemic forever and we aren’t and we won’t be. We’re all going to have to get used to living with this whether we like it or not. I see on BBC news this morning talks of the UK slowly opening back up and schools opening again tomorrow. It was always going to be that the IOM was going to be locked down just as the UK was opening back up because they’ve gradually learned to live with it an we haven’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I think the main worry is that we were 'caught off-guard' on this one and that many 'vulnerables' of all ages were not in isolation. That includes a lot of people, including a few kids with pretty severe asthma etc.

Most parents and people are risk-averse when it comes to protecting kids....it is human nature.

You should allow for that.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I think the main worry is that we were 'caught off-guard' on this one and that many 'vulnerables' of all ages were not in isolation. That includes a lot of people, including a few kids with pretty severe asthma etc.

Most parents and people are risk-averse when it comes to protecting kids....it is human nature.

You should allow for that.

Thats a very valid point. We were told to carry on as normal and many did. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Southernman said:

Guernsey recorded 569 active cases in this outbreak and one death. We are heading for something similar.

Guernsey peaked at 56 daily cases 8 days after they locked down. We hit 71 4 days later, we will surely see this rise. Guernsey locked down as soon they detected unaccountable cases. We gave the virus a few days extra to spread in the community. 

When this outbreak is brought to an end I would expect our numbers to be significantly higher than Guernsey's with the duration of lockdown having been fairly similar. It has taken Guernsey 5 weeks to see consistent days with no cases, they are only now gradually lifting restrictions. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Manxtoffee said:

Total test numbers is pointless I certainly don’t care how many cases we’ve had since this all began. It confuses matters. Just have it up on the website for people to google if they so wish. 

Agree - we only really important things we need to know are how many daily new cases and of them how many are of unexplained lineage. 

Gotta love cowman. Deliberately states that there is only 2 in hospital, then when corrected in a reasonable way, completely loses his shit and accuses everyone of being hysterical. Not seen him this bad since he hid under the duvet like a dribbling wreck post brexit. Absolutely bonkers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
13 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Gotta love cowman. Deliberately states that there is only 2 in hospital, then when corrected in a reasonable way, completely loses his shit and accuses everyone of being hysterical. Not seen him this bad since he hid under the duvet like a dribbling wreck post brexit. Absolutely bonkers

Also assumes the hospital cases are old. It must make the mother posting about her daughter in hospital due to civic really fucking old then. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, CowMan said:

Why don't you just ignore the doom and gloom merchants, Sultan?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1