• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• Nom de plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

Here's another fine mess. Long-term residents (around three or four families) in some particular "holiday cottages", have been asked to move out by the end of this month, so the cottages can be rented out for those self-isolating. When, according to lockdown rules, these families cannot visit or view other properties to move into.

Every single decision they make (prom "works", vaccination hubs, building contracts, bridge works... too many to mention), has everything to do with filling their pockets, before they have to leave the gravy train, and nothing to do with the health and wellbeing of the island's population. Every. Single. Decision.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, majkul said:

Here's another fine mess. Long-term residents (around three or four families) in some particular "holiday cottages", have been asked to move out by the end of this month, so the cottages can be rented out for those self-isolating. When, according to lockdown rules, these families cannot visit or view other properties to move into.

Every single decision they make (prom "works", vaccination hubs, building contracts, bridge works... too many to mention), has everything to do with filling their pockets, before they have to leave the gravy train, and nothing to do with the health and wellbeing of the island's population. Every. Single. Decision.

Not really. If lawfully in occupation they’ve got to be given a proper notice to quit, for the appropriate period, including certain statutorily required phrases and information.

Then, if they don’t leave court proceedings have to be issued. At present a possession claim issued first week March will be listed mid June.

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

Interesting, Alf had his own review of SPC isolation policy but hasn’t shared it with Comin 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-breakdown-in-governance-at-steam-packet-says-cannan/

I think that is probably right.  Presumably once it goes to Comin it becomes a public document when it was, in fact, an internal SP document.   John may correct me on that, but I think there is a tricky line to be trodden on the separation of information received as a shareholder of a private company and information requested by IOMG as government. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I think that is probably right.  Presumably once it goes to Comin it becomes a public document when it was, in fact, an internal SP document.   John may correct me on that, but I think there is a tricky line to be trodden on the separation of information received as a shareholder of a private company and information requested by IOMG as government. 

Well as it’s actually ultimately owned by public I think the information should be made particularly in view of public interest 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, majkul said:

What are they doing in holidays cottages?  They're not for long term residence.

Just now, Banker said:

Well as it’s actually ultimately owned by public I think the information should be made particularly in view of public interest 

It is a private company that happens to be owned by IOMG, it is not a branch of government like a statutory board or company. IOMG is only entitled to information as a shareholder, although there may be some shareholder agreement setting out reporting. 

Would you expect any other private company which happens to have IOMG as a shareholder to make all its information available to the public?  

To be honest  the public interest is in what IOMG did, not the SP, although of course if there was any suspicion of illegality, then they would be subject to a criminal investigation.  

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is a private company that happens to be owned by IOMG, it is not a branch of government like a statutory board or company. IOMG is only entitled to information as a shareholder, although there may be some shareholder agreement setting out reporting. 

Would you expect any other private company which happens to have IOMG as a shareholder to make all its information available to the public?  

To be honest  the public interest is in what IOMG did, not the SP, although of course if there was any suspicion of illegality, then they would be subject to a criminal investigation.  

I would expect information on isolation rules to be made public as it’s not exactly commercially sensitive information 

• Like 2

Anything to do with the SPCo is going to be a hugely difficult political balancing act, firstly with it now being a Govt body (at whatever length of arm) and all that goes with that and secondly being the Island's lifeline for freight.

You can guarantee that what anybody might perceive as "the normal rules" are rightly or wrongly not going to apply in this instance.

Just now, Banker said:

I would expect information on isolation rules to be made public as it’s not exactly commercially sensitive information 

Perhaps they will as part of IOMG's own enquiry.  They may be called in evidence. 

But the enquiry is into what IOMG did, not what the SP did. 

If the leaky sieve was an airline, you would expect an inquiry by IOMG into what they told the airline to do.  If the airline failed to correctly implement then there would be another enquiry by HSE or the police. 

Just now, Non-Believer said:

Anything to do with the SPCo is going to be a hugely difficult political balancing act, firstly with it now being a Govt body (at whatever length of arm) and all that goes with that and secondly being the Island's lifeline for freight.

You can guarantee that what anybody might perceive as "the normal rules" are rightly or wrongly not going to apply in this instance.

It is not a government body, this is the whole point that is being missed.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is not a government body, this is the whole point that is being missed.  

It’s owned by Government and I’m sure it’s assets & liabilities etc are included in the consolidated Government accounts, the same as all other companies etc ultimately owned by government 

37 minutes ago, majkul said:

Are these Holiday cottages owned and operated by Government?

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I can tell you that when the government commissioned an independent review into the Laxey flooding in 2019 the 'conclusion' section in the report had been redacted.

Hope this helps.

So if Government don't like what Government have reported, Government can change it.

I am even more confused.

• Like 3
Just now, Banker said:

It’s owned by Government and I’m sure it’s assets & liabilities etc are included in the consolidated Government accounts, the same as all other companies etc ultimately owned by government 

If they are, it is a function of accounting convention not of the legal reality that the assets and liabilities of the SP belong to the SP.  IOMG owns the shares. 

Just because someone owns the shares in a company does not mean they can walk in and take whatever assets they like because they 'own' them.  It is a bit of an arcane area, but the SP is a private company with its own distinct legal personality to its shareholders, even if its shareholders are the IOMG. 

• Like 1