Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

You need to be resident in the IOM to pay only Manx tax. If you are a UK resident, you will have to declare your Manx  income to HMRC and they will tax you. HMRC will give you credit for any Manx tax you have paid under the double taxation agreement, but they will tax you as if your money was earned in the UK.

A non-resident recieving IOM income is taxed on that income (with certain exceptions). Section 2 of the Income Tax Act 1970 may assist you. Income from an IOM public office is taxed here regardless of where you're resident. The double taxation agreement is irrelevant for public office holders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, piebaps said:

A non-resident recieving IOM income is taxed on that income (with certain exceptions). Section 2 of the Income Tax Act 1970 may assist you. Income from an IOM public office is taxed here regardless of where you're resident. The double taxation agreement is irrelevant for public office holders.

Why would the double taxation agreement be irrelevant for public office holders?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

What IS this obsession with the  Channel Islands?

Because they know what they’re doing & Howie is always comparing us to them so just copy them like we will do eventually 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, piebaps said:

A non-resident recieving IOM income is taxed on that income (with certain exceptions). Section 2 of the Income Tax Act 1970 may assist you. Income from an IOM public office is taxed here regardless of where you're resident. The double taxation agreement is irrelevant for public office holders.

The problem with IOM Government and treasury is they don't adhere to the double taxation

agreement under

Article 3 section D the term "person" includes an individual, a company and any other body of person;

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listened to the James Davies interview re vaccination with Hetty and Magson  and thought they all spoke well without the foreboding presence of HQ.  It is almost as though they pick up on his demeanour and this inhibits them.  Ashford becomes so obsequious to Quayle when there really is no justification for such deference.  

Whilst I don't agree with Magson's off island status, she is clearly knowledgeable and is the CEO of the Hospital and answered questions without the Ashford bluster - she  was content to provide a demographic overview of the patients in hospital without churning out  GDPR dressed up with a multitude of verbosity that Ashford employs.  All in all, given her status, she should be utilised more for the briefings and give DA a time out.  Quayle should also pick and choose his appearances and have the confidence to place his trust in others to deliver the information. Alas it is the fact both are reluctant to  step back and others are content to let them plod on, that leads to the malaise in the briefings.

in fairness to JD he came over well in his questioning.

Edited by Hmmmm
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cassie2 said:

Yes, even more megabuck ''Consultants'' which we the public are forced to pay for because they have not got even the most basic clue about what to do or how to do it or even when to do it. Neither the Chief Minister or the Health Minister or Dr Ewart or CEO of the DHSC or the the endless layers of highly paid managers in DHSC have a clue - so this is what the Manx Public get. A derogation of duty and farm it out to outside Consultants and any blame can be shifted onto them. 

That will not wash with the ever increasing fully aware and thinking members of the Isle of Man public.

I am not against consultants or outside help of any type, I think they should have called on more help from the beginning. There are lots of very bright people on the island.

I am a bit confused about this one though. Dr H mentioned modeling, I was under the impression we were far too small a population to make that type of very detailed, that you  would pay consultants for, work?

Maybe Wrighty may comment who was doing the previous models AFAIK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cassie2 said:

Yes, even more megabuck ''Consultants'' which we the public are forced to pay for because they have not got even the most basic clue about what to do or how to do it or even when to do it. Neither the Chief Minister or the Health Minister or Dr Ewart or CEO of the DHSC or the the endless layers of highly paid managers in DHSC have a clue - so this is what the Manx Public get. A derogation of duty and farm it out to outside Consultants and any blame can be shifted onto them. 

That will not wash with the ever increasing fully aware and thinking members of the Isle of Man public.

Totally agree. (Except that I think you mean a dereliction of duty not a derogation of duty). 

Getting successfully through the Covid crisis has always required scientific competence, and medical expertise too, but most of all it has required competent political leadership. Whatever these consultants cost, it will be a trickle compared to the millions these lockdowns continue to cost us per week. 

In hindsight, I believe that our government should have probably employed external consultants from the get go. It is now clear that we have not had sufficient expertise/skills here.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

Totally agree. (Except that I think you mean a dereliction of duty not a derogation of duty). 

 

Thanks. I did mean dereliction too but I had intended to say 'delegation' - I have now amended accordingly. Thank you again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

 She said that you couldn't keep people isolated for weeks and weeks.  

Well you can if necessary, but maybe we'll be seeing what happens when you don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It's just idiotic moaning and trolling without thinking.  Scary stuff really.

You are the troll  - and  being gratuitously insulting yet again. No it is  not 'idiotic moaning'. But glad you find me scary. 

If we do not have suitable skills in the enormous IOMG / DHSC / IT/IS etc then it is time to get rid of deadwood and acquire those with the appropriate skillsets. It is not as if there has not been at least 12 months notice (I would argue 15 months) fore-warning of all that we are likely to need. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

A non-resident recieving IOM income is taxed on that income (with certain exceptions). Section 2 of the Income Tax Act 1970 may assist you. Income from an IOM public office is taxed here regardless of where you're resident. The double taxation agreement is irrelevant for public office holders.

I'm not sure that is correct. It's the DTA of 1955 as amended in 2018 which is in force. Article 18 covers Government service.  The key is where you are ordinarily resident. My interpreration of that is, if a person lives (is ordinarily resident) in the UK, in this instance the other territory, and is paid by the IOM Government, then they are not exmpt from taxation in the UK.

You will pay tax here, and where you are resident. You will get a credit for the tax you have paid here to avoid double taxation.

It's a complicated and wordy document, and as I said, that's just my understanding of the text. 

20210321_113013.jpg

Edited by madmanxpilot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I'm not sure that is correct. It's the DTA of 1955 as amended in 2018 which is in force. Article 18 covers Government service.  The key is where you are ordinarily resident. My interpreration of that is, if a person lives (is ordinarily resident) in the UK, in this instance the other territory, and is paid by the IOM Government, then they are not exmpt from taxation in the UK.

You will pay tax here, and where you are resident. You will get a credit for the tax you have paid here to avoid double taxation.

It's a complicated and wordy document, and as I said, that's just my understanding of the text. 

20210321_113013.jpg

Pulls up a chair,

Nothing more interesting than Accountants arguing 😁

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...