IOM Covid removing restrictions

53 minutes ago, John Wright said:

risk averse

..............a plague on modern society.

Sir Francis Drake: 'Ma'am, I going to sail around the world'.

Queen Elizabeth I: (sharp intake of breath) 'Are you sure you want to go ahead with this? We've not got any vaccinations ready yet, GPS isn't going to be up and running for another 500 years and you're going to rely on a sextant and dead-reckoning? You know, of course, that after 10 days you will almost certainly fall off the edge of the world? Have your ships done roll-over testing and I want to know that the crews will comply with all our diversity requirements.  And what about your Twitter feed? How will we find out............anything?  No, sorry Franky, without a full risk-assessment and clearance from H&SE, you're not going anywhere!'

Rinse, repeat and, thank ghod, never applied! 

Can you imagine risk-aversity applied to any of our feats of discovery and exploration over the past 500 years?  Livingstone, Burton, Curie, Scott, supersonic flight testing, the moon-shots: we'd still be living in caves and even the invention of the wheel would probably have been scrapped: 'the committee has decided that the wheel, if developed to its full potential, will lead to man traveling at speeds greater than walking pace thereby leading to potential injury and death'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• Nom de plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

All of nature evolves to eradicate unsuccessful characteristics and enhance those that increase survival.

Gladys, your theory falls at the first hurdle - the parish councillors in Douglas.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, snowman said:

Any guesses when IOM residents will be able to travel without having to do isolation upon return?

I guess that'll be when we decide to move from eradication to mitigation. At the moment, according to exit plan, that is September isn't it?

One thing for certain, when we do allow covid back into our community, it is going to spread through the younger population very quickly. Wouldn't it be better to allow this to happen over the summer months rather than wait till kids go back to school? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Should be easy enough to answer.

Dear Ian,

Fuck off you absolute nutter.

All the best

Dr. Ewart

PS

TLDR

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Those are my favourites!  I particularly like the idea that recovering alcoholics might be triggered back on the booze by having minuscule amounts of alcohol injected into their muscles.  But not by drinking it.

Sirry, I couldn't resist posting this again:

1839166745_bonkthetoasteraftervaxx02.thumb.jpg.173fb597f019cd8a8f8fe3f421ffbd8e.jpg

Me and OH we’re discussing exit strategy yesterday. Let me first say I have skin in the game as my entire wider family, one adult child and a bereaved parent who I haven’t seen since the event are in England. So I have good reason for wanting to be able to leave and return to the island without restrictions. We were talking about the impossibility of being able to resume our so called tourist industry with self isolation requirements still in place. Personally I don’t think any easing will happen until after the election, as they who shout loudest about “keeping the boarders (sic) closed” are listened to by our spineless and unimaginative politicians, all of whom have made the epidemic and in particular the vaccination programme a political football. If we accept that eradication is no longer a realistic prospect, we have to decide what mitigation measures  we are prepared to accept in exchange for freedoms. Personally I would happily accept the requirement to wear face masks in shops etc and/or social distancing in exchange for freedom to see my family without the disruption and financial costs involved in self isolating away from my own home if I travel off island. I suppose if you are Manx born and bred and your family are all here, then the need to travel is less. But we have been given little idea what mitigation looks like or when it will start. Our health minister seems in total thrall to our very insular chief minister and I really don’t think they have any empathy, despite DA’s creepy weasel words about ‘it’s ok not to be ok.’

• Like 5

I think you (and all of us) are probably overthinking this. Nobody, anywhere in the world has a definitive date for normality or any idea what that might look like. Its therefore no surprise that COMIN here are reluctant to put a date on anything. I don't think there's that much electioneering either. Sure some of the back benchers are grandstanding, but Howard Quayle isn't standing for re-election.

Yes, some jurisdictions are relaxing their lockdown rules as their specific circumstances change, but equally some are re-tightening as the virus starts up again.

I don't however see why you would consider wearing a face mask in a shop part of the trade off though. Surely you could do that at any time. Its actually quite commonplace in other parts of the world and even in bigger UK towns and cities. That doesn't have to be part of any trade off and could just become a new normal behaviour. There's currently no law which requires a mask to be worn (other than on public transport or if subject to a direction notice).

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

I think you (and all of us) are probably overthinking this. Nobody, anywhere in the world has a definitive date for normality or any idea what that might look like. Its therefore no surprise that COMIN here are reluctant to put a date on anything. I don't think there's that much electioneering either. Sure some of the back benchers are grandstanding, but Howard Quayle isn't standing for re-election.

Yes, some jurisdictions are relaxing their lockdown rules as their specific circumstances change, but equally some are re-tightening as the virus starts up again.

I don't however see why you would consider wearing a face mask in a shop part of the trade off though. Surely you could do that at any time. Its actually quite commonplace in other parts of the world and even in bigger UK towns and cities. That doesn't have to be part of any trade off and could just become a new normal behaviour. There's currently no law which requires a mask to be worn (other than on public transport or if subject to a direction notice).

There’s no definite dates as you say but all UK & CI have clear exit strategy with dates which will be achieved if data shows X and travel will be allowed to A& B as infections are Y.

All everyone wants is a proper plan like everyone else instead of the shit document that was released and roundly criticized by most. 

If the data says you have to test negative and do 1,7 or 10 days then people will know exactly what is required.

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

..............a plague on modern society.

Sir Francis Drake: 'Ma'am, I going to sail around the world'.

Queen Elizabeth I: (sharp intake of breath) 'Are you sure you want to go ahead with this? We've not got any vaccinations ready yet, GPS isn't going to be up and running for another 500 years and you're going to rely on a sextant and dead-reckoning? You know, of course, that after 10 days you will almost certainly fall off the edge of the world? Have your ships done roll-over testing and I want to know that the crews will comply with all our diversity requirements.  And what about your Twitter feed? How will we find out............anything?  No, sorry Franky, without a full risk-assessment and clearance from H&SE, you're not going anywhere!'

Rinse, repeat and, thank ghod, never applied! 

Can you imagine risk-aversity applied to any of our feats of discovery and exploration over the past 500 years?  Livingstone, Burton, Curie, Scott, supersonic flight testing, the moon-shots: we'd still be living in caves and even the invention of the wheel would probably have been scrapped: 'the committee has decided that the wheel, if developed to its full potential, will lead to man traveling at speeds greater than walking pace thereby leading to potential injury and death'.

3U2is.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Of all the many lessons to be learned from a pandemic, I'd have thought that opening things up too fast leads to bad things happening would be the one that would stick the best. 

But no.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate...... that's all that needs to be said.

Then what.

Either let us travel without restriction or tell us: isolation will be in place until the pandemic ends

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Of all the many lessons to be learned from a pandemic, I'd have thought that opening things up too fast leads to bad things happening would be the one that would stick the best. 

But no.

Different scenario now.  It is almost pointless vaccinating people if the result is that we carry on exactly as we have for the past 12 months locking down when covid arises.  

Also, what exactly are "bad things"?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Different scenario now.  It is almost pointless vaccinating people if the result is that we carry on exactly as we have for the past 12 months locking down when covid arises.  

Also, what exactly are "bad things"?

I know it's a different scenario now, but it isn't ready yet, and peoples impatience is the thing that is most likely to fuck things up further.

Lockdowns are bad things. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1