IOM Covid removing restrictions

8 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

wear face masks in shops etc and/or social distancing in exchange for freedom

No, that is not acceptable.  You are pandering to the pitchforkers and once established as the 'norm'  our freedoms will never be returned.  CV is now endemic; it will be an increasingly diminishing risk to an increasingly reducing proportion (it always was!) of the population.

Masks in shops, social distancing - what next?  The means by which, and the ease with which these already draconian measures have been introduced offer a template, a carte blanche, to any 'authority' to unaccountably introduce restrictions on YOUR WAY OF LIFE without recourse.

• Replies 35.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• Nom de plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Utah 01 said:

No, that is not acceptable.  You are pandering to the pitchforkers and once established as the 'norm'  our freedoms will never be returned.  CV is now endemic; it will be an increasingly diminishing risk to an increasingly reducing proportion (it always was!) of the population.

Masks in shops, social distancing - what next?  The means by which, and the ease with which these already draconian measures have been introduced offer a template, a carte blanche, to any 'authority' to unaccountably introduce restrictions on YOUR WAY OF LIFE without recourse.

Nuts.

You should stand as Mayor of London, or call talk radio, or start a podcast, or form a political party.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Zarley said:

It irks me that so many people (to be clear, I'm not singling out any one person) like to believe that most people recover from covid like it was nothing more than a cold. Many don't and I'm not talking about deaths, I'm talking about long term problems. There's a lot of information available concerning long covid but it doesn't get talked about much at all. 

Aside from the suffering of individuals, long covid is important because it represents on-going pressure on health services as well as loss of earnings and subsequent reliance on the public purse.

The more covid is allowed to run through communities, including people under 50 and children, the more who are going to end up with long covid. We really do need to be careful or we could all end up regretting our impatience. 

Here are some excerpts from long covid articles, with links following for those inclined to read on.

https://news.gsu.edu/2021/01/19/study-finds-covid-19-attack-on-brain-not-lungs-triggers-severe-disease-in-mice/  

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/over-75-percent-of-people-hospitalized-with-covid-19-have-symptoms-months-later  (good article with links throughout, including to the study) 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/health/long-covid-asymptomatic.html (if anyone wants to read the whole article but can't because of the paywall, let me know and I'll c&p it in its entirety)

Long Covid: Who is more likely to get it? (BBC article)

That's pretty much true for a lot of Viral Infections though, I had Chicken Pox as an adult, it knocked me sideways for at least 6 months after I recovered from the spots etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Remember that slit trench, pongo!

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

Nuts.

...which, when push comes to shove, you would appear to lack in spades.  You typify the insipid 'little islander' mentality that pervades this entire matter here.  And you clearly haven't the capacity to contemplate, just for a nanosecond, the longer term implications of the way 'authority' has reacted to this pandemic as evidenced by your cretinous replies to my last 2 posts concerning freedom of the individual and the threats to our long-held rights and freedoms that have been trampled under foot - thanks to tacit support from the supine sheeple.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 1

A bit of trivia, see if you can work this one out. Was going along Peel Road and fuel light came on, Just coming up to Milestone Petrol station and seeing they are all the same price thought this one will do. Proceeded to fuel up and thought bugger it will treat the old car to a wash and wax, Only to be told that the car wash was for business users whilst Covid lockdown was in force. Any one know of any rhyme or reason why it should be so. Answers to stupid prick decisions due to Covid. If you require a written answer please include a self addressed envelope.?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

A bit of trivia, see if you can work this one out. Was going along Peel Road and fuel light came on, Just coming up to Milestone Petrol station and seeing they are all the same price thought this one will do. Proceeded to fuel up and thought bugger it will treat the old car to a wash and wax, Only to be told that the car wash was for business users whilst Covid lockdown was in force. Any one know of any rhyme or reason why it should be so. Answers to stupid prick decisions due to Covid. If you require a written answer please include a self addressed envelope.?

Same reason amenity sites are closed, keep Pongo & rest of pitchfork brigade happy 

3 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

It was the same last time.  Presumably clean cars are not essential. 

But taxi's/works vans are . I thought they were going to come up with some infeasible theory of the spray being some kind of Covid super spreader. And we would be putting any body in Macky Dee's take away lines in grave danger.

13 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Retails must limit their offerings to "essential" only. Where they sell a mix of essential and non-essential, and its reasonably practical to separate them, they must do so.

https://covid19.gov.im/businesses/circuit-breaker-guidance-for-retailers-selling-multiple-product-types/

You can go into WH Smith’s and buy an essential newspaper & at same time buy birthday cards, books etc but you can’t go to super cards to buy a card, crackers!!

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

According to Prof Woolhouse on Marr, even with vaccinations generating herd immunity, future international travel will mean lots of testing and quarantines etc. Possibly for a long time. My subtext: possibly forever...

Plus for various reasons lots of folks won't be vaccinated.

Just announced on the news that 95% of +60 have had a vaccine. I would say that's beyond even what SAGE thought would happen and a very significant milestone on the road to a brighter 2021.

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

To be honest, I don't think we need to know anything more than if the death is from or with Covid.  The gender, age, BMI or other health reasons are irrelevant.  It isn’t callous or nosey, the death has already been announced as being connected to covid,  but a clarification.  Nor can it be an identifier.

But there are two problems with this.  The first is that the numbers for the Isle of Man are too small to give you any meaningful information as to which groups are being worst affected in general.  And the second is a practical one - it make take some time to determine the exact causes of death and what the underlying cause of death was.  So you can't always describe this when the death is announced.

And I'm afraid you can see the result when details of Covid deaths on the Island do emerge.  Some people will try to denigrate the deceased as somehow too ill,  too unfit, too old, too overweight, too black[1] - all of which they will see as being the deceased's fault.  It's all a deeply pathetic attempt to reassure themselves that Covid won't kill people like them, but it manages to be incredibly offensive at the same time.

But as I've pointed out several times before, more generally we do have a way of determining the split between from and with Covid.  Death certificates give the 'underlying' cause(the main thing the death was due to) plus any contributing factors and these are analysed for England and Wales by ONS and published weekly.  You can see from the latest publication[2] that in the vast majority were due to Covid:

image.png.106a22de48e7d845554d09f83a8a7394.png

image.png.61779532b503a2ed6d7f7db0f01cb808.png

Looking at the data used for that graph there were 134,592 "Deaths involving COVID-19" and of these 120,920 were "Deaths due to COVID-19" which is 89.8%.  So the answer is that about 90% of deaths where Covid is involved are due to it

[1]  Though never that other factor in Covid deaths, being male.  Funny that.

[2]  As I sad there is always a bit of a lag with death certificates being registered and the data then being analysed, so this is for deaths registered up to week ending 12 March.  As it happens this means it included 52 weeks and so was about a year from the first Covid death.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Missing word
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1