IOM Covid removing restrictions

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But as I've pointed out several times before, more generally we do have a way of determining the split between from and with Covid.  Death certificates give the 'underlying' cause(the main thing the death was due to) plus any contributing factors and these are analysed for England and Wales by ONS and published weekly.  You can see from the latest publication[2] that in the vast majority were due to Covid:

That is the point really isn't it, and the point I was trying to make above. If someone dies either with or from Covid, in the overwhelming majority of cases Covid either caused the death or was a contributory factor. There seems to be a commonly held view that there are a lot of people being counted in the Covid death statistics who were going to die anyway, and who happened to have Covid, but that it didn't contribute in any way to their death. That simply isn't the case. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the death is either as a direct result of Covid, or Covid contributed to their death by worsening pre-existing conditions (i.e. they wouldn't have died at that time from their condition had it not been for Covid, although they might have at some point in the future).

• Like 1
  • Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• Nom de plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

Ever heard anyone say with or of about the flu? Cos a lot of people go on about this being like the flu, go on about how many people die of flu in normal years etc. Just another one of those stupid points spewed out because they are incapable of rational thought, and are desperately looking to justify the position they took right at the start despite a year of mayhem.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ever heard anyone say with or of about the flu? Cos a lot of people go on about this being like the flu, go on about how many people die of flu in normal years etc. Just another one of those stupid points spewed out because they are incapable of rational thought, and are desperately looking to justify the position they took right at the start despite a year of mayhem.

How many have died from flu this year?

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

A bit of trivia, see if you can work this one out. Was going along Peel Road and fuel light came on, Just coming up to Milestone Petrol station and seeing they are all the same price thought this one will do. Proceeded to fuel up and thought bugger it will treat the old car to a wash and wax, Only to be told that the car wash was for business users whilst Covid lockdown was in force. Any one know of any rhyme or reason why it should be so. Answers to stupid prick decisions due to Covid. If you require a written answer please include a self addressed envelope.?

It s Covid correctness gone mad, eh.

Why were you out in the car? But whatever, make a trip of it and give the car a treat.

It wouldn't take much for lots and lots of bored people staying at home to go do the same. Well, what harm can it possibly do?

Stay at home is the message just now in the pandemic. Yeah, it's shit, but you know, for good reason, it's all about staying at home.

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

All of them #scamdemic #plandemic #agenda2030 #greatreset #whatafuckingtosseryoumustbetobelievemostofthisshit

Your alcohol level is running low.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Gladys said:

To be honest, I don't think we need to know anything more than if the death is from or with Covid.  The gender, age, BMI or other health reasons are irrelevant.  It isn’t callous or nosey, the death has already been announced as being connected to covid,  but a clarification.  Nor can it be an identifier.

That doesn't lessen our condolences (which I send to the relatives and friends of the deceased, of course) but it does help to understand the context. That is something that a lot of us have been asking for months now. 

This time on this lockdown we were taken by surprise, and a lot more younger people were caught up....including someone I know who is not even 30 and ran a close one to near ventilator stage. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask age, there's a big difference to someone having had a full life and near the natural end of it to a young person barely starting out on theirs being taken out by this virus.

Many of us have kids and grandkids affected this time...and want to know the demographic impact we are dealing with here.

That's the real reason most people feel entitled to know this basic information.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Many of us have kids and grandkids affected this time...and want to know the demographic impact we are dealing with here.

How would knowing the age of the 4 people who have died on the Isle of Man during the current outbreak allow you to work out what the demographic impact of Covid is?

For argument sake, if they were all over 80, would it be valid to say that death from Covid only occurs in people over 80, and therefore younger people shouldn't be worried at all? If people really are trying to use the local data produced in that way, to decide how to behave, that is a strong argument for not providing them with the information.

Information about the demographic impact is already available at a national level from the ONS in the UK, and it needs to be at that level to make any sort of statistical sense.

• Like 1
Just now, Newbie said:

How would knowing the age of the 4 people who have died on the Isle of Man during the current outbreak allow you to work out what the demographic impact of Covid is?

Re-read my post please.

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

For argument sake, if they were all over 80, would it be valid to say that death from Covid only occurs in people over 80, and therefore younger people shouldn't be worried at all? If people really are trying to use the local data produced in that way, to decide how to behave, that is a strong argument for not providing them with the information.

Information about the demographic impact is already available at a national level from the ONS in the UK, and it needs to be at that level to make any sort of statistical sense.

I’m unsure of the exact figures but if memory serves me well, only 350 - 400 deaths in the U.K. were attributed to individuals with no pre-existing or underlying health conditions (that being within a 28 day positive test).

That, in amongst the circa 125,000 deaths.

In regards ages of those who ‘we’ve’ sadly lost, Jersey’s numbers are a very good yardstick. Over 90% of their recorded deaths (69) were aged over 70.

Thankfully the U.K. has now achieved  herd immunity with over 30 million vaccinated and a further 10 million already been infected. They are rightly opening up as should we end of May.

BCEB557E-57C8-4795-8EE0-54E77EFC4525.jpeg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That's the real reason most people feel entitled to know this basic information.

I have re-read your post, and what you are saying is that people feel entitled to have the information in order that they can work out the demographic impact.

What I am saying is that the information produced locally will not help them work that out because the local numbers are not sufficient for a proper analysis of that. The information they want is already available at national level.

I agree there is a huge difference between someone in their 30's dying from Covid and someone in their 90's, but to say that the information is needed locally to work out the demographic impact doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I have re-read your post, and what you are saying is that people feel entitled to have the information in order that they can work out the demographic impact.

What I am saying is that the information produced locally will not help them work that out because the local numbers are not sufficient for a proper analysis of that. The information they want is already available at national level.

I agree there is a huge difference between someone in their 30's dying from Covid and someone in their 90's, but to say that the information is needed locally to work out the demographic impact doesn't make sense to me.

This is not a statistical argument, it's simply about people who have kids or grandkids knowing what age groups are currently affected - given numerous young people aged 0 - 30 have been hospitalised this time.

When you have your own kids and grandkids, you'll understand the post.

19 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m unsure of the exact figures but if memory serves me well, only 350 - 400 deaths in the U.K. were attributed to individuals with no pre-existing or underlying health conditions (that being within a 28 day positive test).

That, in amongst the circa 125,000 deaths.

In regards ages of those who ‘we’ve’ sadly lost, Jersey’s numbers are a very good yardstick. Over 90% of their recorded deaths (69) were aged over 70.

Thankfully the U.K. has now achieved  herd immunity with over 30 million vaccinated and a further 10 million already been infected. They are rightly opening up as should we end of May.

BCEB557E-57C8-4795-8EE0-54E77EFC4525.jpeg

The latest ONS figures for Covid deaths by age are for the week ending 12th March. There were 1,501 deaths that week of which 180 were in people aged under 60.

As to pre-existing health conditions, the data from the ONS from March-June 2020 showed that there were around 46,000 Covid deaths in England & wales in that time, of which 4476 didn't have any underlying health conditions, so I am not sure where you are getting the figure of 350-400 in total from. Do you have a link to that data?

Edited by Newbie
typo
1 minute ago, Newbie said:

The latest ONS figures for Covid deaths by age are for the week ending 12th March. There were 1,501 deaths that week of which 180 were in people aged under 60.

As to pre-existing health conditions, the data from the ONS form March-June 2020 showed that there were around 46,000 Covid deaths in England & wales in that time, of which 4476 didn't have any underlying health conditions, so I am not sure where you are getting the figure of 350-400 in total from. Do you have a link to that data?

I think it’s the intersection - i.e. only a few hundred out of 125000 were both under 60 and without pre-existing health conditions. Or something like that.

• Like 1