IOM Covid removing restrictions

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

How would you test people in the community though. I wouldn't be volunteering to have a swab stuck up my nose for free. 

Most people are OK (if not delighted) with it.  The only people who seem to object are you and David Ashford (assuming you're different people).  In voluntary testing situations, take-up is high.

But I'm not actually suggesting random testing, just encouraging looser guidelines around symptoms (in New Zealand anyone with the symptoms of a cold is encouraged to get tested) and maybe also more testing among targeted groups and contacts.  Given the way this outbreak spread - older school children would be an obvious choice.

• Like 5
  • Replies 33.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• Nom de plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, trmpton said:

We can do 1500 a day.

There is an average of less than half that booked in for the next 7 days.

I assume they send out invitations at the same rate as they can jab.

Does the lower number of people booked in mean a lower percentage of those being invited are taking up the offer because they are younger healthy, and are thinking they don't need it?

No it's because of a reduction in vaccine supply - something that we have known was going to happen for a while.   They've got stock (as per yesterday) of 9364 but 4650 jabs (nearly all firsts) are scheduled in the coming 7 days.

At that rate it doesn't take much to run out if there are supply problems.   And there will be a lot of people (particularly in the over-70s) booked to have a second dose soon.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, trmpton said:

We can do 1500 a day.

There is an average of less than half that booked in for the next 7 days.

I assume they send out invitations at the same rate as they can jab.

Does the lower number of people booked in mean a lower percentage of those being invited are taking up the offer because they are younger healthy, and are thinking they don't need it?

We've been through this before.

Booking are being made all day every day.  2000 booked now for example of over 7 days doesn't mean 2000 vaccinations.

21 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

We've been through this before.

Booking are being made all day every day.  2000 booked now for example of over 7 days doesn't mean 2000 vaccinations.

Ah ok.  Guess time will tell.

Last Thursday they were making appointments for Friday afternoon which would suggest they didn't have any before that and that capacity had been reduced.

Will have a look at the figures next week and see what they have achieved.

Thanks

Having just listened to ashie on the paul moulton thing while dressed in my underpants with crayons up my nose, it struck me that this weekend will have cost me as a fully paid up member of the GMP at least 50k in printer cartridges alone. That's before we even get to the double bubble/days in lieu. How many people have we had on this issue representing our cause?

Edited by the stinking enigma
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Last Thursday they were making appointments for Friday afternoon which would suggest they didn't have any before that and that capacity had been reduced.

Will have a look at the figures next week and see what they have achieved.

The appointments are happening quicker. If you look at the published stats a huge number of the doses in the last few weeks have been seconds in the older age groups which are all pre booked from the first appointment date so they can probably slot new jabs in around those quickly. That said talking to someone in know on the 111 side they do also seem to be having more of the younger groups not taking up the offer as much as the over 60s though. Less letters going out resulting in bookings. 

28 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Having just listened to ashie on the paul moulton thing while dressed in my underpants with crayons up my nose, it struck me that this weekend will have cost me as a fully paid up member of the GMP at least 50k in printer cartridges alone. That's before we even get to the double bubble/days in lieu. How many people have we had on this issue representing our cause?

He did say that certain key people needed a rest, so not sure how many were burning the midnight oil this weekend.

Mind you, he also said that as Minister he had to be careful about what he said re PAC, but in relation to the letter thought it was quite proper to publicly air concerns raised with him.  

27 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It's not real money anymore, we just spend what we spend. I read today in the press that the UK NHS are providing free lateral flow tests to everyone. That must be the £1 billion worth of 'free' tests that they have already been purchased and are gathering dust. Who are they kidding, this is costing a bloody fortune. BTW, I had my jab today in Chester Street and was distinctly underwhelmed by the skirting board, for that money I do not expect gaps, but I suppose sealant is too expensive. As has been said by others, staff were friendly and efficient and so far no ill effects - unless being grouchy counts.

• Like 1

U.K. figures appear to be dropping like a stone.

Fantastic opportunity to have our borders opened earlier than planned & bring some visitors & much needed spend here.

We’ve vaxed our high risk groups, the NHS has been protected.

• Like 5
Just now, Nom de plume said:

Fantastic opportunity to have our borders opened earlier than planned & bring some visitors & much needed spend here.

We’ve vaxed our high risk groups, the NHS has been protected.

Do you think we are ready?  I couldn't buy a deck chair for love nor money this weekend!

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

There is simply no reason why travel cannot recommence this summer at the latest the way the vaccination programmes are rolling out here and in the UK. The Europeans will have to decide whether they want the Brits this summer but the whole of the UK Common Travel Area should be opened up for ‘UK’ staycations especially which Jersey and Guernsey already seem to be preparing for. Although we’ll likely be closed for another year just to be sure.

• Like 1