IOM Covid removing restrictions

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Lately I get a couple of emails a week from them trying to tempt me back. For seemingly less and less money. Like some kind of reverse Dutch auction. The latest being £1 per month.

I’d pay that, can you post a link?

• Replies 33.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• Nom de plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Hillside said:

I’d pay that, can you post a link?

No it's email offers to past subscribers. However, if you take the free trial or pay for a month at the normal rate then quit then I am guessing that over time you will also get these offers. Same as Spotify, Sky etc after you quit.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

I used to read The Telegraph but gave up a few years ago as it went increasinly C2 - UKIP. And seemingly now written by twenty - something freelancers rather than the excellent established correspondents they were once known for. Also the awful click-bait.

Lately I get a couple of emails a week from them trying to tempt me back. For seemingly less and less money. Like some kind of reverse Dutch auction. The latest being £1 per month. They seem ever more desperate since the sale was announced. I guess that's down to them hemorrhaging their intelligent broad-church readership to The Times, Guardian and FT.

I begrudgingly subscribe to The Times, but that too is succumbing to click bait and tabloidesque articles and if my wife didn't enjoy the magazine and supplement articles so much I would stop. I have now started to read The Independent in addition to the Times to try and get some political balance, along with several assorted talk radio stations (Radio 4, 5 Live, Talk Radio and LBC). It is interesting to note that all the above tend to follow the government line, give or take the odd columnist, all except of course Talk Radio, who are hard line anti lockdown etc. It would appear that one has very few mainstream places to go if you rail against the current measures/restrictions. I am guessing that I could add the Daily Mail and The Telegraph to the anti current measures reading list, but Brexit put me off those papers for life so I wouldn't know for sure. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I couldn't buy a deck chair for love nor money this weekend!

Did you try Slinky? Free 2m. pitchfork with every one?

Edited by Kopek
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Cambon said:

Two things. Firstly, we need to see what effect this weekend has had both here and in uk. Secondly, because uk had been in lockdown for 3 months, we have been 1 month, our figures are actually worse than theirs. Are you sure the uk want their citizens travelling here without 14 days isolation on their return? 

With respect, I think you need to revisit the figures both here & there.

The excuses & reasoning for keeping this Island locked away from the rest of the world have ran out.

May 17th should be the day unrestricted U.K. travel is reopened.

• Like 2

The problem with a lot of these 'rules' is how are you going to police it. Who checks you are self testing and negative. 

Can you imagine a pub employee barring someone or even worse asking to check someones vaccination 'passport' or 'certificate' and someone saying No thanks....

....someones going home with a different perspective.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apple said:

The problem with a lot of these 'rules' is how are you going to police it. Who checks you are self testing and negative. 

Can you imagine a pub employee barring someone or even worse asking to check someones vaccination 'passport' or 'certificate' and someone saying No thanks....

....someones going home with a different perspective.

Interestingly (perhaps) Chris Robertshaw MHK, when he was manager of The Sefton, had an idea for ID cards for entry into pubs - not just age, but it would prevent entry to anyone banned from other pubs.

The system would be straightforward enough to implement and include vaccination info. And extended to shops, cinema &c.

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Interestingly (perhaps) Chris Robertshaw MHK, when he was manager of The Sefton, had an idea for ID cards for entry into pubs - not just age, but it would prevent entry to anyone banned from other pubs.

The system would be straightforward enough to implement and include vaccination info. And extended to shops, cinema &c.

Straightforward does not mean desirable, necessary or in anyway proportionate 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

Straightforward does not mean desirable, necessary or in anyway proportionate 

Agreed.

But Covid is none of those things either.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Gladys said:

I couldn't buy a deck chair for love nor money this weekend!

That's only because Mr Toad and the MBE bought them all up and play 'rearrange the deck-chairs', which they've been doing for the past 12 months.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It was an extremely silly idea, even for its initial purpose, and a particularly odd one for someone whose job was mainly dealing with visitors to the Island.  Adding in vaccine info would be extremely difficult and changing all the time. It would be difficult to check and easy to fake.

Such a scheme would be simultaneously incredibly bureaucratic and expensive and incredibly ineffective.  Why the Manx Government never adopted it is a mystery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Barlow said:

I just don't get the point in this ID passport rubbish. What is the point? If one has been vaccinated, why would they be bothered if unvaccinated people are in the same place? If they have not been vaccinated, they are there at their own risk. Whether it be a pub, football match, whatever. In the context of Covid it is pointless. Probably more about conditioning and control. 

• Like 4