Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Banker said:

It would be extremely concerning if you’re on waiting list , I know several on orthopedic lists who have been waiting years for knee/hip surgery and pains are getting worse.

We really need to get hospital back up working fully & get working in backlog, there’s 1 in hospital FFS!!

 

19 hours ago, Apple said:

Getting the hospital back up and running must now be a priority. A respectable and experienced clinical and management needs to take over and that is what my hope is (Pandora's box). We need the right teams in there, and the wrong ones out.

The Govt has to take into account the current problems and support fully the reimplementation of matters urgent and stop trying to make political capital out of it any more.

Irrespective of lockdown urgent clinical procedures need to be taking place for whatever conditions are being presented. For resources and how they are being used, or not used, public complaints, the press and social media  along with the MHK's need to be asking the questions and getting honest answers. 

 

The problem is that there aren't private clinics in the island because it is assumed that one is able to travel to England if a test or some medical procure is too much of a long wait on the NHS. People do complement what is available on the NHS with private health care, especially for examinations and consultations. The border situation has taken away that opportunities for most of us, apart the most desperate. It is an untenable situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 33.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Banker

    2503

  • TheTeapot

    1378

  • Gladys

    1264

  • horatiotheturd

    1015

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

DA has already declared that the private Patient Unit is solely for private patients. (He had to relent partly due to using some beds there for Covid patients. In the future though he indicated a private company will / has shown interest in running it solely as a private concern, They can run private clinic there. (I assume that Manx Care then will only be responsible for the staff there (for the foreseeable future maybe). 

So, the NHS loses in effect another 20 beds from Nobles and not one voice of political dissent. Mind you, this private company that takes over can always lease the PPU back to the NHS in the case of another health emergency I suppose.

Having said that I would not invest in private health care insurance on the island until and unless I know what the clinical outcomes are for whoever I see for private patient treatment. Common sense would be that insurance companies might also think the same way. But what use is common sense when faced with the money this venture will supposedly make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Apple said:

DA has already declared that the private Patient Unit is solely for private patients. (He had to relent partly due to using some beds there for Covid patients. In the future though he indicated a private company will / has shown interest in running it solely as a private concern, They can run private clinic there. (I assume that Manx Care then will only be responsible for the staff there (for the foreseeable future maybe). 

So, the NHS loses in effect another 20 beds from Nobles and not one voice of political dissent. Mind you, this private company that takes over can always lease the PPU back to the NHS in the case of another health emergency I suppose.

Having said that I would not invest in private health care insurance on the island until and unless I know what the clinical outcomes are for whoever I see for private patient treatment. Common sense would be that insurance companies might also think the same way. But what use is common sense when faced with the money this venture will supposedly make.

Who said that the government should invest in private health care; or facilitate it. It is supposed to be driven by demand and fund itself.

I just pointed out that the island is not designed to be self-sufficient as concerns its healthcare needs. For the simple reason that there has never been a demand; one was supposed and allowed to travel to England to procure what was not immediately available at Noble.

I am not speaking in support for private health care. But is a fact of life that a nationalised health care system is rationed and private health care can be a useful complement. One option that most of us don't have at this moment.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I have said it before and will say it again.

We need to build a small Covid wing, its going to be around for ever and we cant shut the hospital down all the time.

It will take a couple of years but its needed.

Ward 20 is available, or the old Mental Health unit. They could be repurposed fairly quickly. Isolation hospital.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spoiledbratoframsey said:

Who said that the government should invest in private health care; or facilitate it. It is supposed to be driven by demand and fund itself.

Agreed.

Nobles was built with public money as we all remember. To then hive off a section to a private company and to declare then denial to any NHS patients to me was wrong. On top of that, to use publicly funded built theatres, equipment, lab facilities, diagnostic equipment (some bought by NHS and some by charities and league of friends etc) and then staff (all for a moderate amount of money back to the NHS I grant you) is all wrong. 

It should be a private facility outside of Nobles in my opinion. Own equipment, own staff etc. Then see if it still financially viable for those who want to use it. No problem with that. 

 

23 minutes ago, spoiledbratoframsey said:

But is a fact of life that a nationalised health care system is rationed and private health care can be a useful complement. One option that most of us don't have at this moment.

Again agreed. A nationalised health and social care system need not though be rationed. By definition there are resources "nationally" by our commissioned access to NHS UK and as British citizens our relationship with the NHS should be more clearly established in this respect. For example - we commission mental health beds in NHS and private facilities off island   for forensic patients etc as we require. So yes, the private sector can be useful and complementary to our own limited services when needed and will do so for the future.

One of my main challenges to the new Manx Care though is that when patients are sent across to UK facilities they receive the same high if not higher standards of service that we can (will) enjoy here. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spoiledbratoframsey said:

I am not speaking in support for private health care. But is a fact of life that a nationalised health care system is rationed and private health care can be a useful complement. One option that most of us don't have at this moment.

Private healthcare/insurance is one option that many of us never have because we simply cannot afford it. 

1 hour ago, Apple said:

It should be a private facility outside of Nobles in my opinion. Own equipment, own staff etc. Then see if it still financially viable for those who want to use it.

Absolutely. It should be totally self-sufficient and self-supporting, as well as not situated on the Nobles campus. Privatised healthcare encroaching on any NHS facilities makes me extremely wary and nervous. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

'Under-60s who have received one dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine should have a different second dose, German officials have advised.'

Should we/you/I?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

'Under-60s who have received one dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine should have a different second dose, German officials have advised.'

Should we/you/I?

Them Germans, They Don't Like it Up Em.................

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

'Under-60s who have received one dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine should have a different second dose, German officials have advised.'

Should we/you/I?

Hancock was on the beeb this morning saying something along the lines of - the clot risk only seems to occur with the first jab. Said if you got through the first one ok, the second shouldn't cause a problem either. Sorry, no linky. 

So I guess if the first jab kills you, you should think twice about having the second. Otherwise you're good to go. 

 

ETA I'll be having my second AZ jab in late May. Not worried. Yet, anyway. 🤔😳

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

'Under-60s who have received one dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine should have a different second dose, German officials have advised.'

Should we/you/I?

No we should stick to advice, Spain say those who have had 1 dose of AZ may not be given a second dose of anything, Italy is slightly different again. It’s the usual European shambles with vaccinations & most things 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s the usual European shambles with vaccinations & most things 

European shambles, eh? You do realise, don't you, that each member of the EU retains sovereignty over their own healthcare and other systems. Just because the Leave Campaign lied about having to Brexit to regain UK sovereignty doesn't make it true. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zarley said:

European shambles, eh? You do realise, don't you, that each member of the EU retains sovereignty over their own healthcare and other systems. Just because the Leave Campaign lied about having to Brexit to regain UK sovereignty doesn't make it true. 

Yes I know but the vaccine supply all comes via the EU , the delay in supply, authorization, distribution in mainly down to EU executive 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes I know but the vaccine supply all comes via the EU , the delay in supply, authorization, distribution in mainly down to EU executive 

Overseen by Ursula Gertrude herself, no less.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...