IOM Covid removing restrictions

12 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Just to clarify, could you please suggest what proportion of private sector employees regularly take ‘risks’, that is exposing themselves to danger as opposed to exposing shareholders to financial loss.

Could you also suggest why the following, predominantly public sector jobs, in your own words, NEVER take a risk:

Fire Officers

Police Officers

Prison Officers

Paramedics

Bomb Disposal Officers

Surgeons

Coastguards

I think Gladys was referring to pen pushers.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Banker

• TheTeapot

• Gladys

• horatiotheturd

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think Gladys was referring to pen pushers.

No, to be fair, the list Meoir Shee gives is entirely consistent with the protectionist objective of governments.  I wasn't just referring to pen pushers, but what the wider objective and, lets face it, the only  role of government should be.  

The problem is when protection of one bit of society is at the cost of others. That is where a proper risk assessment is needed which balances the cost of protecting one part when it  has a deleterious effect on others.  That is not a commercial thought process which is why I disagree with people comparing public sector with private sector.  Sure there are comparable measures, but they do not have comparable imperatives. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gladys said:

No, to be fair, the list Meoir Shee gives is entirely consistent with the protectionist objective of governments.  I wasn't just referring to pen pushers, but what the wider objective and, lets face it, the only  role of government should be.  

The problem is when protection of one bit of society is at the cost of others. That is where a proper risk assessment is needed which balances the cost of protecting one part when it  has a deleterious effect on others.  That is not a commercial thought process which is why I disagree with people comparing public sector with private sector.  Sure there are comparable measures, but they do not have comparable imperatives. 

Actually upon reflection crossing the road poses more danger than those profession's do over here on a daily basis.

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Actually upon reflection crossing the road poses more danger than those profession's do over here on a daily basis.

Risk does not necessarily mean exposure to physical danger. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Risk does not necessarily mean exposure to physical danger. 

Meori shee quoted exposing themselves to danger in his/her post.

Edited by finlo

Oh Howard....should be safe, does not mean will be safe when it comes to air bridges, it has this will go wrong written all over it unfortunately ......   concentrate on getting us out of our homes first and normality, and achieving some sort of normality....wasn’t it him that talked about baby steps 😂

16 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Oh Howard....should be safe, does not mean will be safe when it comes to air bridges, it has this will go wrong written all over it unfortunately ......   concentrate on getting us out of our homes first and normality, and achieving some sort of normality....wasn’t it him that talked about baby steps 😂

As I stated previously if air bridge is reinstated we will either have to have similar border policies or accept the great Manx public mixing with UK & Jersey visitors who may have done zero isolation depending on which region they traveled from.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-minister-hopeful-for-guernsey-air-bridge-restart/?fbclid=IwAR2dGS8G-wcjlWwqMPUve_-3ALg6k3V4ZEhhcqP9tYyj_mr5N3qccplIR3s

• Confused 1

This extra week is just pointless...one of the lines they have given is to allow teachers to prepare...what have they been doing for the last six weeks? And don’t say teaching because that is simply not true....my boys have video calls every other day at a time that suits the teacher otherwise it gets in the way of their day and no teaching takes place in these calls......last week of term the home schooling was read a chapter a day of a book.......

schools have already said in reality they can’t social distance so what are they preparing for....

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

Just to clarify, could you please suggest what proportion of private sector employees regularly take ‘risks’, that is exposing themselves to danger as opposed to exposing shareholders to financial loss.

Could you also suggest why the following, predominantly public sector jobs, in your own words, NEVER take a risk:

Fire Officers

Police Officers

Prison Officers

Paramedics

Bomb Disposal Officers

Surgeons

Coastguards

That is just wrong. 

Police officers do take risks insofar as they manage them - some quite substantial. It’s Just some are more comfortable with the process, accountability and responsibility than others.

this underpins;

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/risk-2/risk/

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Banker said:

As I stated previously if air bridge is reinstated we will either have to have similar border policies or accept the great Manx public mixing with UK & Jersey visitors who may have done zero isolation depending on which region they traveled from.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-minister-hopeful-for-guernsey-air-bridge-restart/?fbclid=IwAR2dGS8G-wcjlWwqMPUve_-3ALg6k3V4ZEhhcqP9tYyj_mr5N3qccplIR3s

That will depend on the questions asked on the exemption form application. Last time. I think Guernsey arrivals had to declare they hadn’t been off Guernsey in the 14 days  prior to arrival here. Expect the same, but with 21 substituted for 14.

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

That is just wrong. 

Police officers do take risks insofar as they manage them - some quite substantial. It’s Just some are more comfortable with the process, accountability and responsibility than others.

this underpins;

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/risk-2/risk/

I think Meoir Shee was suggesting that the list of people mentioned do take risks and was asking the OP to justify why, in their words, they never took risks.

For many of those professions mentioned, and other Public Sector workers, a large part of their work is assessing and managing risk. Not necessarily risk to themselves (although it can be for some of them), but the risk to individuals or the public in general, from one course of action compared to another.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

This extra week is just pointless...one of the lines they have given is to allow teachers to prepare...what have they been doing for the last six weeks? And don’t say teaching because that is simply not true....my boys have video calls every other day at a time that suits the teacher otherwise it gets in the way of their day and no teaching takes place in these calls......last week of term the home schooling was read a chapter a day of a book.......

schools have already said in reality they can’t social distance so what are they preparing for....

Did you contact the school and express your dissatisfaction?   If so, what was the reply?

5 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Did you contact the school and express your dissatisfaction?   If so, what was the reply?

I didn’t get a reply. Which says it all.  I have actually gone to the level of my friend from a different school gives me their work for our boys to do instead.

it’s this preparation thing that gets me...literally past however many weeks it’s been they have known they will have to be going back at some point so why not sort it out then..instead of wasting yet another week.....genuinely is it unions at play?

9 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I think Meoir Shee was suggesting that the list of people mentioned do take risks and was asking the OP to justify why, in their words, they never took risks.

I think, and this is entirely my own opinion, that bad mouthing anyone for NEVER (not my capitals) taking risks is entirely disrespectful.  This entire thread is about Covid, I am saddened that the OP feels that Health Care professionals, predominantly public sector employees, haven’t encountered significant risk, often with the loss of their own lives.  Whilst this risk is potentially managed and to some extent mitigated, “NEVER take a risk” is such a casual comment.

• Like 1