Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

Whether employees are absent through illness or a requirement to self isolate, businesses will need to come up with contingency plans for dealing with it.

being even slower than usual should cover that.

Edited by Pipsqueak
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Whether employees are absent through illness or a requirement to self isolate, businesses will need to come up with contingency plans for dealing with it.

How does a one man band painter do that exactly?  Coping with your own illness is hard but part of what you accept when you start the business.

Being told you can't go to work because Billy's mate Tommy at school has tested positive for a virus he can't even tell he has and Billy probably hasn't even got isn't.

It isn't even remotely viable to expect people to isolate with  no income and it needs much better communication- again.

Communication really is their weakness.  Nothing ever appeara cool, concise and reassuring.  It is always flustered, confusing and a bit concerning whether written or presented.

It immediately makes you lack confidence in everything they say and immediately wonder what they are missing out or trying to hide.

A year they have had to put all this in place.  A whole lap around the sun and then some.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Newbie said:

Except that the person would have caught covid a week or so ago in order to be testing positive now. That would only be a week after vaccination, when the level of protection would still be very low. It takes time for immunity to develop after a vaccination - longer than a week.

 

12 hours ago, snowman said:

So they walked off the plane, out of the airport and into A&E ?

There are three recent travel-related cases. 

One was reported on 10/04; a male from the IM3 area, aged 30-34.

Two were reported on 18/04; both from the IM9 area, a male aged 55-59 and a female aged 60-64. 

My guess would be that the ICU case is one of the IM9 people. Possibly a couple where one accompanied the patient as an escort. 

Unless the reason for hospital treatment across was an unforeseen emergency, every effort would have been made to have the patient vaccinated two weeks prior to travel. I don't know if they do the same for escorts. 

Of course we have no way of knowing if covid exacerbated their other heath problems, or if the other health problems exacerbated the covid infection. It could even be both equally in a vicious cycle or perfect storm scenario. 

Whatever the situation is, I hope they recover from all their ailments. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

How does a one man band painter do that exactly?  Coping with your own illness is hard but part of what you accept when you start the business.

Being told you can't go to work because Billy's mate Tommy at school has tested positive for a virus he can't even tell he has and Billy probably hasn't even got isn't.

It isn't even remotely viable to expect people to isolate with  no income and it needs much better communication- again.

Communication really is their weakness.  Nothing ever appeara cool, concise and reassuring.  It is always flustered, confusing and a bit concerning whether written or presented.

It immediately makes you lack confidence in everything they say and immediately wonder what they are missing out or trying to hide.

A year they have had to put all this in place.  A whole lap around the sun and then some.

I agree with everything you say, the issue urgently needs to be addressed. My comment was about businesses that employ many people where they can continue to operate when some are absent. Perhaps I should have made that clear.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, snowman said:

As a result of the 'debate' yesterday what was the outcome?

Was there a vote? Were any change to dates?

In the end yesterday's Tynwald was a miss mash of postponed and cancelled motions. Impossible to keep up with at times. Moorhouse got a mauling over the Bank Holiday issue. Stopped listening after there Manx Care debate got dropped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are going to have to treat this the same as the flu, get the annual jab if you want, if not, maybe you catch it and have to have a week off work. At least not months of lockdowns....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SRB said:

We are going to have to treat this the same as the flu, get the annual jab if you want, if not, maybe you catch it and have to have a week off work. At least not months of lockdowns....

The key is getting folk to stay home if they are ill...and getting employers to believe them 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand why measures aren't being put in place - such as outdoor only for eating, social distancing, having to book and leave a contact number if you are in a place.    Masks.    Not everyone has been vaccinated yet - and it can spread through schools where there is no social distancing really quickly.   If I had a kid with an underlying health condition I'd have concerns.  

I just think it's a couple of month before we are at the live with it stage.    

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do people with underlying health conditions do now with the flu? Have the jab. Take measures to protect themselves.

If you look at the excess death figures these are falling/ have fallen, as people who would have naturally died from other things have unfortunately died from covid already (you only have to look at the flu figures to see this) .

We are going to have to treat it as just another illness soon, as the primary reason for the lockdowns was to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed, & as most people  have had one jab now this shouldn't be an issue.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

I don't understand why measures aren't being put in place - such as outdoor only for eating, social distancing, having to book and leave a contact number if you are in a place.    Masks.    Not everyone has been vaccinated yet - and it can spread through schools where there is no social distancing really quickly.   If I had a kid with an underlying health condition I'd have concerns.  

I just think it's a couple of month before we are at the live with it stage.    

The people that really need vaccination have it.  Twice.

A shitload of people have at least one.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Imagine if we had started vaccines at full speed in December rather than waiting until mid February.

All the panic and calls to "wait a couple more months......."

 

It still would have been there. Wait, wait, wait ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SRB said:

We are going to have to treat this the same as the flu, get the annual jab if you want, if not, maybe you catch it and have to have a week off work. At least not months of lockdowns....

You could have the option of a few days/weeks/months in ICU and all that goes with that.

But I think you are right, go for the "have a week off work". That's much nicer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...