IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

No idea.  I have said previously that making it clear to people we weren't eradicating anymore once they got cases to a low level, rather than making people think we were clear again, would have been a much better option.

It was the perfect chance to transition, and they missed it.

I'm not sure they have really gotten their heads around restrictions being much more than a binary thing still. We've either been open or not.

All they've really added is a 'careful now' message with the open bit it seems.

• Like 2

Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I'm not sure they have really gotten their heads around restrictions being much more than a binary thing still. We've either been open or not.

All they've really added is a 'careful now' message with the open bit it seems.

a petulantly toned "careful now"

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trmpton said:

1300 deaths a day in a population of 1.36 BILLION people.

I am sure that the relatives of people dying on trolleys in the carpark will be comforted by that. Do you seriously believe that figure?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I am sure that the relatives of people dying on trolleys in the carpark will be comforted by that. Do you seriously believe that figure?

No.  I have already said it is undoubtedly underrepresented.

Multiply it by 100 and it still wouldn't scare me in an iom context.  

You and I obviously have a different level of acceptable risk.

I just think the population don't have a real understanding of of statistical risk.

People are panicking about  COVID in schools.

How many secondary age kids  have dies from COVID in the UK?

How many secondary aged kids dies while doing PE or organise sport out of school.in 2018.

People aren't stopping sending their kids to football training or BMX club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it's down to businesses and individuals?

But who gets the say - the business or the individual working there? If staff have at risk relatives or are at risk themselves - some people are going to be faced with a quandary?

For some, it will no doubt be 'I can't afford to be risk aware, as I won't get paid or I might get sacked for not going into the office'?

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, trmpton said:

No.  I have already said it is undoubtedly underrepresented.

Multiply it by 100 and it still wouldn't scare me in an iom context.  

You and I obviously have a different level of acceptable risk.

I just think the population don't have a real understanding of of statistical risk.

People are panicking about  COVID in schools.

How many secondary age kids  have dies from COVID in the UK?

How many secondary aged kids dies while doing PE or organise sport out of school.in 2018.

People aren't stopping sending their kids to football training or BMX club.

I was talking about India, not the Isle of Man, and I have not suggested that because things are clearly desperate in India we should be panicking here. But from a humane point of view, to see people pushing their relatives around on trollies for hours, begging for someone to try to help them is a pretty good representation of Covid Hell, and the headlines reflect that fact. If you don't agree, well each to their own, but i think that trying to suggest that the headlines are an over reaction, and trying to downplay the situation using dubious statistics, demonstrates a lack of empathy for the suffering of fellow human beings.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But who gets the say - the business or the individual working there? If staff have at risk relatives or are at risk themselves - some people are going to be faced with a quandary?

For some, it will no doubt be 'I can't afford to be risk aware, as I won't get paid or I might get sacked for not going into the office'?

If the individuals or their relatives are at risk then they should have had at least one dose of vaccine.

Also Howard did say they are considering a scheme for payment whilst self isolating if they are required to do so.

7 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I was talking about India, not the Isle of Man, and I have not suggested that because things are clearly desperate in India we should be panicking here. But from a humane point of view, to see people pushing their relatives around on trollies for hours, begging for someone to try to help them is a pretty good representation of Covid Hell, and the headlines reflect that fact. If you don't agree, well each to their own, but i think that trying to suggest that the headlines are an over reaction, and trying to downplay the situation using dubious statistics, demonstrates a lack of empathy for the suffering of fellow human beings.

Nope.

I was saying I think people are genuinely looking at the situation out there and thinking that if (when) then Indian variant arrives here the carpark at nobles will be piled high with bodies.

59 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Plus of course, as in any disaster the emphasis is only on deaths when in reality their are many, many more who suffer life changing traumas and disabilities.

What you said was

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

It is awful for those in India, but I honestly don't see the headlines as being appropriate

And

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

1300 deaths a day in a population of 1.36 BILLION people.

So maybe you can see where confusion might arise

The main thing to take is this 

94% of the vulnerable are vaccinated. The whole point of lockdown was to stop the hospital being overwhelmed,  evidence from the likes of Israel shows the vaccine works. It was never about stopping covid, stopping getting sick or stopping dying.  Its about time someone from government actually said it. 

Time to get on with life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

If the individuals or their relatives are at risk then they should have had at least one dose of vaccine.

Also Howard did say they are considering a scheme for payment whilst self isolating if they are required to do so.

The scheme should have been in place when the decided to move to a mitigation strategy not as some afterthought. It's great that they want to step out of people's lives and put the emphasise on us for everything that's going to happen now but they, as the Government of the Isle of Man, have a responsibility to ensure the safety of the Island. Not putting in place measures as some half-arsed brain fart one month later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Unless you have industry agreement on criteria as well it becomes a competition matter as well with this woolly stance.

Some businesses employ additional staff or use PPE at additional cost, or maybe have a premises that allows one way systems or social distancing. Others will not be able to or will choose not to.

Also some people will only want to go places that have strict rules and others won't want to frequent anywhere forcing them to do something not supported by "government orders".

It's going to create a lot more controversy and angst between people with quite polarised views.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rhumsaa said:

Unless you have industry agreement on criteria as well it becomes a competition matter as well with this woolly stance.

Some businesses employ additional staff or use PPE at additional cost, or maybe have a premises that allows one way systems or social distancing. Others will not be able to or will choose not to.

Also some people will only want to go places that have strict rules and others won't want to frequent anywhere forcing them to do something not supported by "government orders".

It's going to create a lot more controversy and angst between people with quite polarised views.

This confused messaging is the exact opposite of what they promised yesterday. 

• Like 1