Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Just open up.  System is pants anyway.  If ROI just changed their testing requirements then "cases" would drop and HQ would be happy despite nothing actually having changed.

Cases are coming here.  Who cares?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So what do you suggest instead?  The whole UK just close its borders in case something might happen in the future?

It is about managing risk and taking reasonable precautions.  Stopping travel isn't reasonable.

If you read the article you will see what SAGE are proposing.

Unfortunately they would like a TT&I system that worked....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, trmpton said:

Just open up.  System is pants anyway.  If ROI just changed their testing requirements then "cases" would drop and HQ would be happy despite nothing actually having changed.

Cases are coming here.  Who cares?

It’s farcical.

I know an Irish pilot (home in Dublin) who has been on the IOM recently with his vehicle, but based in the U.K. for work.

His options to return home to Dublin were boat to U.K. from here then boat to Dublin from U.K. with 14 days isolation on arrival.

He chose boat to U.K., then boat to Northern Ireland where he simply drove over the border and negated the isolation.

Not sure how legal that was but that’s what happened.

All seems a bit messy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is it not also inevitable that home grown variants will emerge?  I get the desire to stop the introduction of new variants which may be more virulent or vax resistant, but that does not mean the risk would be totally eradicated, does it? 

I get what you mean but I am afraid that the best we will do is slow down the spread of new variants and never stop them. Identifying them at the border and stopping them is a distant dream that could only be realised if the IOM locks down forever.

The optimistic (and expert) view is that vaccination development and deployment will beat the virus' ability to mutate as happens with Flu. Chris Smith (Professor of immunology gives some really good explanations). Of course they might all be wrong and the world is going to come to an end, but smart logic says it won't.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I get what you mean but I am afraid that the best we will do is slow down the spread of new variants and never stop them. Identifying them at the border and stopping them is a distant dream that could only be realised if the IOM locks down forever.

The optimistic (and expert) view is that vaccination development and deployment will beat the virus' ability to mutate as happens with Flu. Chris Smith (Professor of immunology gives some really good explanations). Of course they might all be wrong and the world is going to come to an end, but smart logic says it won't.

Unfortunately India has only 2% of the population vaccinated and a rolling average of 378 000 cases per day.

That's an awful lot of variants...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Unfortunately India has only 2% of the population vaccinated and a rolling average of 378 000 cases per day.

That's an awful lot of variants...

So , India is red list .

WHO envoy says we can’t mothball forever, even though you & others might want to

Virus is changing and mutating, but we can't go on mothballing ourselves forever

On whether he is cautious about international travel opening up as lockdown eases, Dr David Nabarro, special envoy on COVID-19 for the World Health Organisation (WHO), tells Sky News he has been "impressed" with the government's handling of the crisis with "care" and the safest places to travel to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It will take a global effort to get the virus under control.

Of course. However you quote seems to focus on the difference between us and India. 

You are correct though in that it needs the world to be in the same position as UK/Israel in order to start celebrating any success

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Of course. However you quote seems to focus on the difference between us and India. 

You are correct though in that it needs the world to be in the same position as UK/Israel in order to start celebrating any success

I simply pointed out the virus was running out of control in India.

The irony is that the worlds biggest vaccine producer will have to massively increase output to vaccinate their own population.

Nobody is safe until we are all safe. That includes those packing their buckets and spades. Obviously I don't care if they go abroad and bring back a dose of something nasty and end up with an arse full of penicillin. However I would care if they brought back the SA variant of covid because our UK vaccines do not perform so well against it....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I simply pointed out the virus was running out of control in India.

The irony is that the worlds biggest vaccine producer will have to massively increase output to vaccinate their own population.

Nobody is safe until we are all safe. That includes those packing their buckets and spades. Obviously I don't care if they go abroad and bring back a dose of something nasty and end up with an arse full of penicillin. However I would care if they brought back the SA variant of covid because our UK vaccines do not perform so well against it....

Well if India spent less on arms, space etc it wouldn’t have a problem, as long as UK keeps most of the concerning countries on red list along with EU then it will not be a major issue unless you want to visit a red country. UK opening up next week with indoor hospitality, shows etc & we need to allow travel without isolation quicker 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I simply pointed out the virus was running out of control in India.

The irony is that the worlds biggest vaccine producer will have to massively increase output to vaccinate their own population.

Nobody is safe until we are all safe. That includes those packing their buckets and spades. Obviously I don't care if they go abroad and bring back a dose of something nasty and end up with an arse full of penicillin. However I would care if they brought back the SA variant of covid because our UK vaccines do not perform so well against it....

"Nobody is safe until we are all safe"

Disagree.  My own attitude to risk means me and those important to me are all as safe as we need to be, and as safe as we are when we go about several parts of our daily lives, once the majority of us have had at least one jab.

That moment in my family was weeks ago, so I have no concerns going forward from here about the very small risk of one or more of us being adversely impacted by COVID.  

There are lots of things that are a bigger worry to me, like young family members learning to drive, bombing down mountains on mountain bikes etc

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

"Nobody is safe until we are all safe"

Disagree.  My own attitude to risk means me and those important to me are all as safe as we need to be, and as safe as we are when we go about several parts of our daily lives, once the majority of us have had at least one jab.

That moment in my family was weeks ago, so I have no concerns going forward from here about the very small risk of one or more of us being adversely impacted by COVID.  

There are lots of things that are a bigger worry to me, like young family members learning to drive, bombing down mountains on mountain bikes etc

Exactly this. Context and relative risk are the forgotten casualties of Covid. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...