IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Its nothing to do with tourists it’s about allowing free movement of the residents & families!!

Do you see the UK as a destination? For me it's a transit hub.

• Confused 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:36 PM, P.K. said:

Probably beyond all help. But I suppose with a virus on the loose demonstrating just what it's actually capable of in India you should at least try....

The problem with the death toll in India is likely more due to institutionally corrupt things like this happening where resources are taken from the poor and the complete disarray in its failing healthcare system. Plus, of course, the widespread poverty and the generally insanitary conditions that prevail compared to the US or Asia or Europe. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9529923/Indian-woman-dies-Covid-two-hours-police-oxygen-cylinder-VIP.html

Edited by Mr Roboto
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly. Neither the Government or the Steam Packet wanted to bring back COVID to the Island,There were misunderstandings no doubt.

But these are exceptional times and as such we need to see the bigger picture. 

A baying mob calling for resignations is not the right response.

Some on here sneer when it is said lessons can be learned from such situations.  Well this is exactly such a situation and provides the opportunity to learn and put new protocols in place, for example not relying on verbal evidence.

Its a time for reconciliation not reprisals

Agreed.  But before reconciliation, we need honesty.  Most things can be forgiven if there is openness and transparency.  That is the fundamental issue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Do you not feel that most of peoples minds are now on , is it the steam packets fault or governments fault argument . When really it should be about , if it was known it was the Kent variant quicker the likes of the noodle bar and other places  wouldn’t of been low risk . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, pongo said:

I would imagine for the vast majority of travel it is an end destination. To see family, for work, shopping, leisure related activities
I think that going onwards from the UK for work, holidays etc forms a minority of such travel.

From a personal perspective I would say that I fly or sail to the UK ( or did) say 8 to 10 times a year of which 2 would be to go further afield. I believe that ratio is  probably the same for most.

Perhaps you have family or work commitments outside the UK which makes it a transit hub for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Sorry, Cambon I’ve said it before and will say it again you talk a load of bollocks!!

Its nothing to do with tourists it’s about allowing free movement of the residents & families!!

Dont worry international travel soon & well before your September estimate 

Banker. Jersey is a better example, but in Jersey, tourism makes up around 10% of GDP. However, it also makes up around 30% of employed people in the season! 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Gladys said:

...we need honesty...openness and transparency.  That is the fundamental issue. 

We will not be delivered those things by Quayle specifically or by IOMG generally.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

We will not be delivered those things by Quayle specifically or by IOMG generally.

“ Honesty, openness and transparency “ What makes you think not delivered? Tynwald broadcast on national radio, Hansard, COVID media briefings,FOI act etc etc.

Hardly North Korea is it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Neither the Government or the Steam Packet wanted to bring back COVID to the Island,There were misunderstandings no doubt.

Sorry, that's not how it works. Someone should have ensured that the protocols were understood and being complied with.

Because that didn't happen, over a thousand people were infected, people died and the Island was shut down for nearly two months with all of the cost and hardship that caused.

It's is too big a deal to be simply put down to making a mistake and effectively swept under the carpet.

It was a totally avoidable clusterfuck and those responsible should be held to account.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Banker. Jersey is a better example, but in Jersey, tourism makes up around 10% of GDP. However, it also makes up around 30% of employed people in the season! 

Got nothing to do with our borders restrictions!

free the Manx!!

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Most people have families there so yes it’s an end destination which people like you & Cambon don’t seem to grasp.

you both seem to think it’s all about tourists!

Edited by Banker

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

Got nothing to do with our borders restrictions!

free the Manx!!

You are free to leave anytime you like. You will just struggle to find somewhere to stay in the UK, and anywhere else that will allow you to arrive, except Jersey and Guernsey. When you want to come home, expect to test and isolate just like nearly everywhere. 

You are a lunatic! The Manx are free! Just nowhere they can go! 

Why don't you get it yet? 

• Confused 1