Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Horses for courses.  A hotel would be my last choice of the options available.  

Anyway, was only mentioned because cambon was adamant the UK was closed and there was nowhere to stay when in fact there are thousands of places at every budget and everywhere is open in a couple of weeks anyway.

The UK is basically closed until 17 May. Hotels , as I demonstrated earlier, only take bookings for essential workers. It is illegal to stay the night in someone else's house. So you cannot stay in a B&B, or with relatives. Air B&B is a potential grey area, but only a tiny part of tourism. 

Yes, everywhere is potentially open in a couple of weeks.

BUT THEY ARE NOT NOW! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

So you cannot stay in a B&B, or with relatives. Air B&B is a potential grey area, but only a tiny part of tourism.

AirBnB, lodge parks, resort complexes, static caravan sites, camp sites. All receiving massive bookings. You don’t really seem to have much of a grip on what the UK tourist sector is comprised of. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The UK is basically closed until 17 May. Hotels , as I demonstrated earlier, only take bookings for essential workers. It is illegal to stay the night in someone else's house. So you cannot stay in a B&B, or with relatives. Air B&B is a potential grey area, but only a tiny part of tourism. 

Yes, everywhere is potentially open in a couple of weeks.

BUT THEY ARE NOT NOW! 

I posted a link a couple of days ago from booking.com

There are thousands, and thousands of places you can book to stay.

I don't understand why you want to put such doom and gloom on it?

Hotels are even open in parts of the UK.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

AirBnB, lodge parks, resort complexes, static caravan sites, camp sites. All receiving massive bookings. You don’t really seem to have much of a grip on what the UK tourist sector is comprised of. 

Yes, camp sites are open, including caravan parks. But they make up a small part of the uk tourist sector. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cambon said:

Yes, camp sites are open, including caravan parks. But they make up a small part of the uk tourist sector. 

They don’t. And it isn’t just caravan parks as I said. You seem to have focussed exclusively on the only facilities that are still subject to restrictions (hotels) as that suits your agenda when there are so many places in the UK that are open to stay at. I was talking to a friend on Friday who was on a campsite in the Lakes. Apparently it was rammed. Booked out for months. And all the surrounding pubs taking bookings for meals and drinks in their new outdoors areas across the bank holiday weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I posted a link a couple of days ago from booking.com

There are thousands, and thousands of places you can book to stay.

I don't understand why you want to put such doom and gloom on it?

Hotels are even open in parts of the UK.

Yes, thousands (of beds). Not millions. That is the difference. 

Also, have you actually tried to book one before 17May? Staycations are really big over there! 

Things are easing, and the sooner the better. However, we need to be pati

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Did you read your article? Or just the headline?

I read the article like all good Grauniad readers.

Go on, ask me a question on it and see if I give the right answer....

Like leaving the IOM the pain of isolating on return is a big deal. Because unlike public servants most people don't have loads of holiday they are ok to burn sitting on their arses at home.

The messages are a bit mixed though. From at least two weeks after having your second jab of an approved vaccine (yanks) to just strolling in if you come from a country with low prevelance (UK brainless youths wanting to get shitfaced so they can pass out on the beach and get nuclear grade sunburn.)

I wish them well....

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

They don’t. And it isn’t just caravan parks as I said. You seem to have focussed exclusively on the only facilities that are still subject to restrictions (hotels) as that suits your agenda when there are so many places in the UK that are open to stay at. I was talking to a friend on Friday who was on a campsite in the Lakes. Apparently it was rammed. Booked out for months. And all the surrounding pubs taking bookings for meals and drinks in their new outdoors areas across the bank holiday weekend. 

Exactly the point I am trying to get across. They are fully booked with staycations. From 17 May, hopefully it should improve. But you still have 65,000,000 people over there desperate for a break. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Exactly the point I am trying to get across. They are fully booked with staycations. From 17 May, hopefully it should improve. But you still have 65,000,000 people over there desperate for a break. 

No they’re fully booked with tourists. The way you seem to be shifting the debate is laughable now. People are driving from Cornwall to the Lakes for a vacation or visa versa. Those are not staycations they are proper holidays many miles away from home. Scotland has hordes of people coming across the border to stay. Those aren’t staycations either. Do you live your life with your head in a bucket of sand? 

Edited by Mr Roboto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're both sort of right:

A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation.  In British English the term has increasingly come to refer to domestic tourism: taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to travelling abroad.

So in theory it should mean a holiday based in your own home, but in practice (and that includes within the Isle of Man) people are using it to mean domestic tourism that doesn't include travelling by sea or air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Exactly the point I am trying to get across. They are fully booked with staycations. From 17 May, hopefully it should improve. But you still have 65,000,000 people over there desperate for a break. 

The image i posted up thread was hundreds of available options i found d in one part of the country in 30 seconds.

Available as in bookable.

You seem to be arguing with yourself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

No they’re fully booked with tourists. The way you seem to be shifting the debate is laughable now. People are driving from Cornwall to the Lakes for a vacation or visa versa. Those are not staycations they are proper holidays many miles away from home. Scotland has hordes of people coming across the border to stay. Those aren’t staycations either. Do you live your life with your head in a bucket of sand? 

I'm calling BS on that one.

Most normal folks without an axe to grind view a staycation as going somewhere in England, Wales and Scotland rather than abroad.

Like to hear your definition of a "proper holiday" as opposed to a "not proper holiday" or whatever as well....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...