Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If tests are now a more realistic £30 what are my chances of claiming £160 back for being ripped off previously?

I'm sure the original £50 charge was just plucked out of the air but it fulfilled two purposes:

a) It deterred people from travelling

b) Those that did travel turned a healthy profit for IOMG

Can't fault the logic but morally it sucks...

 

How can it be a rip off if:

1. You had an option

2. You knew the cost in advance.

3. It was the same price when you left as the price when you returned. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Banker

    2712

  • TheTeapot

    1468

  • Gladys

    1368

  • Nom de plume

    1102

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK. For what it's worth I'm going to try and explain why genomics is important in a ssRNA virus epidemic. No doubt it will end up being recited badly at a briefing, but, well, whatever. You read it he

Rachel has tried every which way to re-offer her services. This last tweet wasn't the first time she's reached out. Government has made it very clear they do not want her to be involved. I want h

I think you'll find most so called anti-government rhetoric is focused on government-stupidity and government-selfishness. In recent times - under Brown, Bell and now Quayle - all too many govern

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How can it be a rip off if:

1. You had an option

2. You knew the cost in advance.

3. It was the same price when you left as the price when you returned. 

Think of it like this.

That nice Dr Rachel Glover costed out the materials used. I can't remember the actual figure but it was well sub £20. Which leaves the staff cost and as we all know that is usually the most expensive bit.

However as I understand it the staff are all NHS and I've already paid for them. Now unless their deployment carried a cost, like having to be back-filled by agency staff which I very much doubt, then adding their cost to the testing fee means I'm paying twice for the same level of service.

That's called ripping people off...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Think of it like this.

That nice Dr Rachel Glover costed out the materials used. I can't remember the actual figure but it was well sub £20. Which leaves the staff cost and as we all know that is usually the most expensive bit.

However as I understand it the staff are all NHS and I've already paid for them. Now unless their deployment carried a cost, like having to be back-filled by agency staff which I very much doubt, then adding their cost to the testing fee means I'm paying twice for the same level of service.

That's called ripping people off...

Sounds more like poor value at worst. A Rip off (in my world) is much worse than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Happier diner said:

Sounds more like poor value at worst. A Rip off (in my world) is much worse than that.

Nobody likes being ripped off.

But nobody...

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Think of it like this.

That nice Dr Rachel Glover costed out the materials used. I can't remember the actual figure but it was well sub £20. Which leaves the staff cost and as we all know that is usually the most expensive bit.

However as I understand it the staff are all NHS and I've already paid for them. Now unless their deployment carried a cost, like having to be back-filled by agency staff which I very much doubt, then adding their cost to the testing fee means I'm paying twice for the same level of service.

That's called ripping people off...

Be interesting to know how the £30 is calculated, Guernsey is £25 & Jersey is free at present 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Think of it like this.

That nice Dr Rachel Glover costed out the materials used. I can't remember the actual figure but it was well sub £20. Which leaves the staff cost and as we all know that is usually the most expensive bit.

It was £18.75 and that included staff costs (lab and swabbers). which if anything she over-estimated.  But it didn't include overheads and all those managers need to be paid for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roger Mexico said:

It was £18.75 and that included staff costs (lab and swabbers). which if anything she over-estimated.  But it didn't include overheads and all those managers need to be paid for.

How can that possibly be? Surely it depends massively on the number of tests undertaken per day. The staff costs are fixed so if there was only 1 test then you would have all the costs on that one and if there were 700 it would cost 1/700th.

Like I have said before the true cost might be hard to calculate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How can that possibly be? Surely it depends massively on the number of tests undertaken per day. The staff costs are fixed so if there was only 1 test then you would have all the costs on that one and if there were 700 it would cost 1/700th.

Like I have said before the true cost might be hard to calculate.

Not really.

Don't forget the number of paying travellers is a trickle. As I posted about a dozen on one of our sailings.

The rest would presumably be sent there by 111 and they get tested free, gratis and for nothing.

Which makes the £50 charge look even more mean-spirited...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Not really.

Don't forget the number of paying travellers is a trickle. As I posted about a dozen on one of our sailings.

The rest would presumably be sent there by 111 and they get tested free, gratis and for nothing.

Which makes the £50 charge look even more mean-spirited...

If the number if tests is a trickle then that makes to cost higher doesn't it. How many are being done at the moment?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How can that possibly be? Surely it depends massively on the number of tests undertaken per day. The staff costs are fixed so if there was only 1 test then you would have all the costs on that one and if there were 700 it would cost 1/700th.

Like I have said before the true cost might be hard to calculate.

If you clicked the link (no one ever does) you'll see that Rachel based her calculation on 60 tests a day, which at the time was a bit low, which was why I said the costs might be high.  But staff costs aren't quite fixed because the higher the number tested, the more you need extra people to do the swabbing, lab work, paperwork, 11 calls etc.  Even if they are existing NHS staff, there may need to be overtime, bank staff to cover other duties or whatever.

Accountancy and costing isn't always easy and rarely definitive, but that's not an excuse for not making an effort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you clicked the link (no one ever does) you'll see that Rachel based her calculation on 60 tests a day, which at the time was a bit low, which was why I said the costs might be high.  But staff costs aren't quite fixed because the higher the number tested, the more you need extra people to do the swabbing, lab work, paperwork, 11 calls etc.  Even if they are existing NHS staff, there may need to be overtime, bank staff to cover other duties or whatever.

Accountancy and costing isn't always easy and rarely definitive, but that's not an excuse for not making an effort.

HaHa. That's all true. What I meant was its hard for us to calculate as we don't know all the facts. It should be easy enough for DHSC to work out though.

It seems the £50 might have been a deterrent to travel.

I'm not saying its cheap or even good value, but its hardly a rip off. I think some countries were charging £100's at the border and Boots charge £99

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...