Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Its obvious my way of thinking puts me in the minority. By rights we should be hit worse than the UK, we don’t have the level of herd immunity, we have zero restrictions, I don’t think we compare well with the UK as huge numbers of their vulnerable died from Covid last year so I’m not at all surprised that Covid deaths remain low in the UK, it’s effectively burning itself out. First in hospital should be this week, first in ICU will be 2-3 weeks after that, if I had to guess I’d say the first death will be 6-8 weeks after first admission, that’s only going from previous restrictions/lockdowns. We’ve already been told to expect serious illness and deaths, that’s all part of living with the virus, but it always hits a small community harder and it’s the only thing that makes people fearful.

Serious question then.

Since the fact that so many are baccinfed makes the spread much less, and since this strain is much less deadly (I in 1000 “cases” lead to death, as opposed to 1 in 60 last year in Uk)

Who do you honestly think on island is likely to die as a direct result of COVId who hasn’t been vaccinated?

Jersey are test to lose anyone under 50 and no deaths since February - as an example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Well I’m worried about the impact on the NHS for my own selfish reasons, the waiting list has already grown by a year. I’ve also got family who’ve booked visits here for October and December, I’ll be absolutely livid if that can’t happen because they’ve decided to drop all social distancing/mask wearing measures 4 weeks before the UK has. I also think it makes an absolute mockery of current UK legislation to welcome anyone from the UK with no restrictions when they still have restrictions in their own country.

The evidence I am seeing now is that a significant number of scientist now believe the UK should have open in June as planned, and that the doomsday predictions aren’t even close to coming true.

We are fine as we are, and in a couple of weeks the UK will be the same

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

It takes longer than 3 weeks for the shit to hit the fan, it always has done.

Pre vaccines.  We have no point of reference  here.

Edited by oooohtony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

The evidence I am seeing now is that a significant number of scientist now believe the UK should have open in June as planned, and that the doomsday predictions aren’t even close to coming true.

We are fine as we are, and in a couple of weeks the UK will be the same

Any citations? I'd be interested to see who is saying that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Serious question then.

Since the fact that so many are baccinfed makes the spread much less, and since this strain is much less deadly (I in 1000 “cases” lead to death, as opposed to 1 in 60 last year in Uk)

Who do you honestly think on island is likely to die as a direct result of COVId who hasn’t been vaccinated?

Jersey are test to lose anyone under 50 and no deaths since February - as an example.

We are currently in unknown territory, we get frequently compared to the UK but they still have restrictions in place, they still effectively have community testing through the likes of lateral flow tests being used in schools everyday, we haven’t had anywhere near the level of covid deaths they’ve had nor do we have the level of herd immunity (say amongst school kids) that they have.

Your question is impossible to answer at the moment because normally we can observe what happens in the UK first and we get the ripple effect about 3 months later, at the moment the IOM is leading the way in dropping all restrictions ahead of the UK, are they playing with fire? Will they get burnt? Unfortunately only time will tell.

As for IOM covid deaths, previous data shows it’s likely to be those with underlying health issues, the vaccine appears to increase the odds of survival but it’s not a miracle cure.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

We are currently in unknown territory, we get frequently compared to the UK but they still have restrictions in place, they still effectively have community testing through the likes of lateral flow tests being used in schools everyday, we haven’t had anywhere near the level of covid deaths they’ve had nor do we have the level of herd immunity (say amongst school kids) that they have.

Your question is impossible to answer at the moment because normally we can observe what happens in the UK first and we get the ripple effect about 3 months later, at the moment the IOM is leading the way in dropping all restrictions ahead of the UK, are they playing with fire? Will they get burnt? Unfortunately only time will tell.

As for IOM covid deaths, previous data shows it’s likely to be those with underlying health issues, the vaccine appears to increase the odds of survival but it’s not a miracle cure.

 

New York then.  Where they also have virtually no restrictions.  Can we use them as a reference?  A city that is much more densely populated than we are?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

The evidence I am seeing now is that a significant number of scientist now believe the UK should have open in June as planned, and that the doomsday predictions aren’t even close to coming true.

We are fine as we are, and in a couple of weeks the UK will be the same

I’ve heard the mixed reports myself, some say lift all restrictions, but there are just as many asking for the extension of mask wearing/social distancing, we’re the first to just drop the lot and have open borders for double vax, perhaps the UK can use us as a test bed instead, seeing as the shoe is now on the other foot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

New York then.  Where they also have virtually no restrictions.  Can we use them as a reference?  A city that is much more densely populated than we are?

No, the herd immunity throughout the states will be off the charts, they quite literally let it rip through virtually unchallenged. Our closest comparison will probably be the likes of New Zealand or Jersey, who both had an elimination strategy the same as we did initially, but unfortunately they haven’t followed suit with lifting all restrictions so there is no direct comparison to be found. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’ve heard the mixed reports myself, some say lift all restrictions, but there are just as many asking for the extension of mask wearing/social distancing, we’re the first to just drop the lot and have open borders for double vax, perhaps the UK can use us as a test bed instead, seeing as the shoe is now on the other foot.

In Britain maybe.  Loads of other places worldwide are weeks ahead of us - no real issues.  Like I say, like New York City

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Something coming out of USA is that in June Dr Fauci has said that 99% of deaths from covid were from unvacinated people. If thats correct thats a stunning statistic.

 

Edited by Numbnuts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

New York then.  Where they also have virtually no restrictions.  Can we use them as a reference?  A city that is much more densely populated than we are?

Same New York where they had refrigerated trucks full of bodies? I imagine herd immunity went some way there. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/07/us/new-york-coronavirus-victims-refrigerated-trucks/index.html

They've had 2 million confirmed cases out of 20 million, they have 10.6 million fully vaccinated. 60% of overall population with at least one dose. They're also vaccinating everyone over 12. Note that they also don't extend the gap on Pfizer in the US either. The second dose is vital with Delta.

New York also requires masks in schools, subways, sports arenas, homeless shelters, hospitals, nursing homes and prisons. Unvaccinated people still have to wear masks when indoors in public.

https://apnews.com/article/ny-state-wire-shootings-coronavirus-pandemic-health-615754e0be23aa2ba34485216c09e29b

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...