Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

One of my concerns is that a grandson who is six is coming over in August. Even though he may test clear before coming he could pick it up on the plane/ in the airports, then even though he has a test here on arrival could still be carrying it and we won't know until his next test or until one of us shows symptoms. Hypothetical I know, but.........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

In each of these cases you will receive a verbal or written Direction Notice in relation to your self-isolation requirements which must be followed.

Verbal Direction Notice? Oh that'll work well... not. More sloppiness on the part of the cabinet office. 

If anyone gets accused of not following their DN, it will be a case of 'he said, she said'.

It also risks people not fully remembering what was said and doing more than (or less than) the actual requirements. 

Can they still lock a person up for non-compliance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

One of my concerns is that a grandson who is six is coming over in August. Even though he may test clear before coming he could pick it up on the plane/ in the airports, then even though he has a test here on arrival could still be carrying it and we won't know until his next test or until one of us shows symptoms. Hypothetical I know, but.........

There are numerous hypothetical scenarios such as you have outlined. The IOMG have decided that, on balance, this is a risk they are prepared to accept, for the sake of the economy, and many peoples' sanity.

It is up to you, and your family, of you are prepared to accept the 'risk' you have outlined. There is no silver bullet answer. It's your choice.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Our case is very simple. Son returns today and tests at teatime. We are off to hotel so we will not have made contact. We are both 2+2 so theoretically we dont need to do that. 

Problem is, if he gets a negative result, we return to the household but then he tests positive at day 6 we are stuffed unless of course the 'vaccination exemption ' does apply.

This is similar to my current situation.  I traveled back from UK with my semi-vaccinated son.  I'm vaxxed so just got on with it, no tests, he tested negative on day 1.  If he tests positive on Tuesday coming then my understanding is that he will then have to isolate, but I just carry on as normal.  He's been out and about for a few days already, when presumably he would have been maximally infectious (if positive - this is hypothetical).

I'm not sure I understand the point of the 6 day testing - it's a bit like closing the door after the horse has bolted isn't it?  Same as you checking in to a hotel for a couple of days.  What's the point, unless of course you fancy a couple of nights away from the house?

The next step is what is the point of day 1 testing? We've repeatedly been told that it misses most infections (assuming exposure was on or just before the day of travel) so why bother at all? I don't think it'll be very long before we relax a bit further, and scrap testing altogether except for those that are symptomatic.  The new normal for me should be stay off work/school if ill, wear masks in shops and on the bus if symptomatic and you have to go out, but otherwise just get on with it. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we seem to have got into the habit of waiting for government to tell us what to do at every turn, the time has come with the vaccine, for us to make our own decisions regarding our health and wellbeing. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, sorry if this is not the place for such a question! But my kid and I are looking to visit Island next week for a long weekend, I’m doubled vaccinated and have done my exemption form, she is only 14 so will need a PCR on arrival. 
Before we booked trip, we called to book PCR and we’re told it was at the grandstand and results should be back in 24 hours. So today we call to book a PCR but we’re told we can only do so in a 48 hr window before arrival and once we have done our landing form.  
I asked if the 48 hours was literally based on the arrival time of day on island, or if it is based on the date of arrival, ie assuming boat landing at 2pm is that 48 hours before 2pm landing time, or can it be done as soon as they open 2 days before the date we arrive?  The booking line did not know. However from what they said, it seems unlikely we will be able to get the PCR test done the day we arrive, which then means we may only get her result they day we have to leave the Island. Which will make the trip a bit pointless for her. 
we don’t want to jump any queues nor fall foul of any laws or rules, but having been very much reassured we could fit this visit in last week when booked it, today they seemed to suggest the PcR testing is so busy, we may be wasting out time coming. 
Any feedback or in our from those on the Island would be appreciated. If there are delays in the testing, would be good to know before we travel. 
 

cheers 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Hi, sorry if this is not the place for such a question! But my kid and I are looking to visit Island next week for a long weekend, I’m doubled vaccinated and have done my exemption form, she is only 14 so will need a PCR on arrival. 
Before we booked trip, we called to book PCR and we’re told it was at the grandstand and results should be back in 24 hours. So today we call to book a PCR but we’re told we can only do so in a 48 hr window before arrival and once we have done our landing form.  
I asked if the 48 hours was literally based on the arrival time of day on island, or if it is based on the date of arrival, ie assuming boat landing at 2pm is that 48 hours before 2pm landing time, or can it be done as soon as they open 2 days before the date we arrive?  The booking line did not know. However from what they said, it seems unlikely we will be able to get the PCR test done the day we arrive, which then means we may only get her result they day we have to leave the Island. Which will make the trip a bit pointless for her. 
we don’t want to jump any queues nor fall foul of any laws or rules, but having been very much reassured we could fit this visit in last week when booked it, today they seemed to suggest the PcR testing is so busy, we may be wasting out time coming. 
Any feedback or in our from those on the Island would be appreciated. If there are delays in the testing, would be good to know before we travel. 
 

cheers 

 

I think you can do your landing form two days before arrival. I did - probably more like 60 hours in advance. 
 

Then, I’d phone the number to book the test rather than doing it online. 
 

From my experience this week I got tests organised at 11:00 the day after arrival, and results back about 24 hours later. If you get here on an earlier boat you might get a test on the same day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

I think you can do your landing form two days before arrival. I did - probably more like 60 hours in advance. 
 

Then, I’d phone the number to book the test rather than doing it online. 
 

From my experience this week I got tests organised at 11:00 the day after arrival, and results back about 24 hours later. If you get here on an earlier boat you might get a test on the same day. 

Cheers sadly that’s the earliest boat. I don’t think the times and dates are going to work out, she’s really upset by it all poor thing. 
we’ve been visiting the IMO on bike together since she was 7, for TT but also out of Race season too.  I’m worried we may have made our last trip 2 years ago, I’m sure at some point soon she won’t want to be going to the IOM on motorbike with her old man! 
cheers for the advice on landing forms, etc.  It’s a pricey trip for what was going to be 36 hours out and about  only on the Island, but sounds like we won’t even get that now!
I presume whilst waiting for test and test result, one is confined to hotel room quarantine style?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

One of my concerns is that a grandson who is six is coming over in August. Even though he may test clear before coming he could pick it up on the plane/ in the airports, then even though he has a test here on arrival could still be carrying it and we won't know until his next test or until one of us shows symptoms. Hypothetical I know, but.........

It's a genuine concern and not hypothetical.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The next step is what is the point of day 1 testing? We've repeatedly been told that it misses most infections (assuming exposure was on or just before the day of travel) so why bother at all? I don't think it'll be very long before we relax a bit further, and scrap testing altogether except for those that are symptomatic.  The new normal for me should be stay off work/school if ill, wear masks in shops and on the bus if symptomatic and you have to go out, but otherwise just get on with it. 

Day 1 testing probably picks up more than you think, especially if there is fairly widespread infection in the place the traveller is coming from, so the most likely place to get infected isn't just while travelling.  The stuff Ashford was quoting was always nonsense.

Day 6 without isolation is stupid.  At best it will give you some prevalence data, though I doubt if they will release it as such.   Mostly it would just show a failed policy and those who have been infected will hardly be impressed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Day 1 testing probably picks up more than you think, especially if there is fairly widespread infection in the place the traveller is coming from, so the most likely place to get infected isn't just while travelling.  The stuff Ashford was quoting was always nonsense.

Depends on length of visit.  If about 14 days or more, you would expect positive tests to match current UK prevalence.  If shorter stays, less than that, approaching zero for those who’ve been across for only a day or two (assuming they didn’t go with it)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...