IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

42 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Agreed, always has a cough of some description, but this has been particularly bad.  To the point of vomiting a couple of times due to coughing so much and a couple of days of high temps. 

Yeah, my kid often gets a cough, its been the case throughout his 10 years of life so far. Haven't had him tested for covid at any point in the pandemic, because it has been what I'd consider normal for him. If the cough had come along with anything different I would have done.

You seem to have approached it in the right way.

46 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You're right, you bypass the doctor entirely. You simply call the GUM clinic and turn up. You don't even have to give your real name in the UK ones.

Your knowledge of the STI testing process is admirable. But the point remains that you’re unlikely to request a test if you aren’t displaying any symptoms at all as generally people aren’t worried about passing on something that they don’t have. For the same reason I would never request a covid test unless I was strongly displaying symptoms of covid (and to be fair probably not even then, I’d just self isolate and wait until I felt better). Also if we are just getting on with it now I don’t see why we should be forcing people to self isolate just because they’ve been near someone who has tested positive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Your knowledge of the STI testing process is admirable. But the point remains that you’re unlikely to request a test if you aren’t displaying any symptoms at all as generally people aren’t worried about passing on something that they don’t have. For the same reason I would never request a covid test unless I was strongly displaying symptoms of covid (and to be fair probably not even then, I’d just self isolate and wait until I felt better). Also if we are just getting on with it now I don’t see why we should be forcing people to self isolate just because they’ve been near someone who has tested positive. 

The point you miss is you are actively encouraged to request a test in absence of symptoms, if there are circumstances where you're likely to be passing something asymptomatic to you onwards.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

If that person can make someone else ill, how do you mitigate their risk to other people whilst they are infectious?

You've got morality, economics and health are rolled into one big mess.

That's also true for every other condition out there.

I understand the need for it when we're at pandemic level, but we're supposedly moving to living with it which will be endemic. We don't take that level of control for other endemic issues.

• Like 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

But you aren’t. It’s never occurred to me to request either a covid test or an STI test from the NHS because I have never had any symptoms of either. I’m not in the habit of seeking out tests for things I don’t have. Neither has my doctor ever offered me a test for something I don’t have. 

You may not be in the target demographic for it, but it doesn't mean the messaging doesn't exist.

Note the wording here: https://www.gov.im/categories/health-and-wellbeing/clinics-and-hospital-outpatients/genito-urinary-medicine-gum-clinic/get-an-appointment/

If you have no symptoms and you have not been advised to attend by any sexual partner/s then usually a ‘routine’ appointment for the next available slot will be fine. This can be a week or even two weeks later depending on how busy the clinic is.

12 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

That's also true for every other condition out there.

I understand the need for it when we're at pandemic level, but we're supposedly moving to living with it which will be endemic. We don't take that level of control for other endemic issues.

However, how many pandemics have we had?

We've seen what COVID can do when it runs rampant. And that can change very rapidly, as places like South Korea, the de-restricted posterchild are now finding again.

When the choices are, shut the doors and keep the bad virus out, let the virus out and monitor it, or bury head in the sand, which sounds most pragmatic?

In England, they're trialling alternatives to isolation for close-contacts, including daily lateral flow tests. Where, with a negative test, you can go on essential journeys still.

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You may not be in the target demographic for it, but it doesn't mean the messaging doesn't exist.

But the target group there is people who are fearful. The only people who are going to take up an STI test offer in that situation are people who are fearful that they have caught something rather than people who have actually have something. So the test is more to resolve a psychological issue than a physical issue. Rather like a lot of self requested covid tests I’d say. 

Apparently announcement coming this week from Ashford regarding the NHS app and our inability to be able to use it for travel etc. Certificated letter coming with all the necessary information on to enable anyone to travel and be allowed entry. Apparently NHS are massively behind with input of info and Wales are in the queue before us so hence this stopgap measure . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But the target group there is people who are fearful. The only people who are going to take up an STI test offer in that situation are people who are fearful that they have caught something rather than people who have actually have something. So the test is more to resolve a psychological issue than a physical issue. Rather like a lot of self requested covid tests I’d say. 

You're focusing too heavily on the impact on yourself. Look at it from a more socially responsible perspective.

In either scenario, it is not uncommon for people to take a test before putting someone else in a vulnerable position, and want to do so in a risk-reduced fashion.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Apparently announcement coming this week from Ashford regarding the NHS app and our inability to be able to use it for travel etc. Certificated letter coming with all the necessary information on to enable anyone to travel and be allowed entry. Apparently NHS are massively behind with input of info and Wales are in the queue before us so hence this stopgap measure . 

I feel like I am experiencing deja vu. At the mast briefing he told us Wales was complete and they were starting on IOM and that would take a week. 

Something has changed!

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I feel like I am experiencing deja vu. At the mast briefing he told us Wales was complete and they were starting on IOM and that would take a week. 

Something has changed!

Who knows but we will find out this week . Announcement or not .. Friend just told me as he is having trouble getting what he needs for travel end of this week. And thats what he's been told .

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Something has changed!

Nothing has changed just more half-truths from Ashford.