Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

Bottom line is that this island is run by incompetents.

 As is often said, a village council.

Unfortunately they get elected to make decisions way beyond their capabilities and wont take advice because they were elected and therefore their egos wont let them.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

There is a boat in the morning, if you actually manage to get here ...........................:-)

Yeah, that's looking doubtful. Thanks Boganair. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Bottom line is that this island is run by incompetents.

 As is often said, a village council.

Unfortunately they get elected to make decisions way beyond their capabilities and wont take advice because they were elected and therefore their egos wont let them.

 

Speaking about which...Why did they not wait till the end of the school term before opening the borders? Children's education has been massively disrupted by the lockdowns yet instead of giving them the last six weeks without the risk of COVID they went gung-ho with the opening. Not unsurprisingly the unvaccinated children are getting ill.

The reason was obviously pressure from tourist operators. The coach loads of tourists didn't magically turn up on day one.

The excuse used was it was for the hospitality industry. Which is the industry currently being closed down by test and trace because it's manned by under 30's who aren't fully vaccinated.

A magic eight ball would be able to write more successful policy.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Speaking about which...Why did they not wait till the end of the school term before opening the borders? Children's education has been massively disrupted by the lockdowns yet instead of giving them the last six weeks without the risk of COVID they went gung-ho with the opening. Not unsurprisingly the unvaccinated children are getting ill.

The reason was obviously pressure from tourist operators. The coach loads of tourists didn't magically turn up on day one.

The excuse used was it was for the hospitality industry. Which is the industry currently being closed down by test and trace because it's manned by under 30's who aren't fully vaccinated.

A magic eight ball would be able to write more successful policy.

Perhaps so all our hotels didn't go out of business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Pieman said:

Yeah, heysham late is a bit tricky, it’s a long way from home and we are on bike too, not easy doing near 300 mile in the early hours with a teenager on the back who’s knackered! 
 

We will try steam packet to see if we could try to switch to evening boat night before, but it will be tight, 225 miles in 3.5hours….. and hotel said today thAt she has to have test prior to check in, so not sure how that works if on the late boat. 
need to make calls tomorrow. 
When we booked it last week, 111 your end was very encouraging about how it would work, lots of capacity etc. Then today, the lady I spoke to basically said ‘no chance’. 
It seems to depend who you speak to, but with such conflicting info and time being so tight, I’m not sure it’s going to work out. 

Well I’m not sure why I bothered in the end! For whatever reason, we are just being passed Pilar to post, and to cap it all, having altered my ferry today, changed all work plans so as to arrive a calendar day earlier (but only 12 hours earlier), did the landing cards as instructed, got the go ahead to call 111 to book a test, joined a queue but as ‘number 1’. After a few mins, I go back to the 111 start, ie in emergency call 999, so do the same option 2, number 1 in queue, same again after a few mins……

this repeated itself until at 758 pm, I go back to the beginning message and then get a new message saying ‘closed’! Wtf! 
so we go though all the websites to see if there is an online option, and the landing card travel instructions say once you’ve done the landing card for a minor, you will get an email with a link to book an online test. 
So I go to the email, open it, and there is no link, just the phone number…..which is now closed. 

 

FFS! The hours spent trying to sort this out! We keep getting told different things and it all seems to be wrong. 
We have just spent another 120 quid on hotel for one night we don’t need to stay, just to start the clock on the testing booking, and have lost all that time anyway now! It’s now nudging 900 quid to get to the IOM for what if we are lucky will be one full day and two half days.  😂

Why do they make it so bloody difficult? If I cannot get this test booked first thing, I’m cancelling the lot and will just count my losses.  
So frustrating.  
 

 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

The problem isn't opening the  borders, but this crazy insistence on locking away healthy people just because they may have been a contact. 

Can you prove that they aren’t going to go on and become infectious in the next few days? 

If you can, you’ll have solved the pandemic. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shortened version just released .

NEWS RELEASE - 12 July 2021 

 

Isle of Man residents requiring proof of their COVID-19 vaccination status for international travel, in the next fortnight only, can now request a letter from Manx Care.

 

The measure has been put in place as a temporary solution whilst the UK NHS continues its work to make the NHS COVID Pass available to Isle of Man residents via the NHS app.

 

Minister for Health and Social Care, David Ashford MHK, said: “With COVID-19 vaccinations progressing around the globe, many countries are now putting in place measures to waive testing and isolation for fully vaccinated travellers.  There is, however, no agreed international system for proof of vaccination status and the rules around how this will work are still emerging and vary from country to country.

 

“I know this uncertainty can be frustrating, especially as we adjust to live with the virus and return to some sense of normality, including international travel.”

 

The Minister continued: “Work to enable access to the UK’s NHS COVID Pass scheme for Isle of Man residents is progressing.  This will enable Isle of Man residents to use the NHS app to show proof of their vaccination status when travelling internationally in the same way as UK residents.

 

“Issuing letters as proof of a person’s vaccination status is a short term, interim solution whilst we await full access to the NHS app.  This is a manual process and so letters are only available to those who are travelling outside of the UK in the next two weeks. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Can you prove that they aren’t going to go on and become infectious in the next few days? 

If you can, you’ll have solved the pandemic. 

Why would anyone need to prove that?

The reality is we are supposed to be living with covid.   We are not really doing that if the answer to a positive covid test is to shut down every venue they've been to.

It seems to me that this is unrealistic for all concerned.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It seems to me that this is unrealistic for all concerned.

 

Well as they’ve now shut a H & B pub and cost the brewery money you can likely bank on a quick solution to it all. It looks like quite a few businesses now coming out on Facebook this evening say they’re shutting after 111 contact. Even if they don’t shut the Manx rumour mill and covid scare grapevine is going to kill their trade anyway as people will just stay away from anywhere rumoured to be involved. They should have seen all this coming. Its effectively a lockdown by proxy by the lime a few hundred people test positive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we are worried about over population and the pollution that brings. So that means a pandemic that takes a few millions of us out , thus solving the over population and pollution issue is a bad thing? Or am I missing something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

So we are worried about over population and the pollution that brings. So that means a pandemic that takes a few millions of us out , thus solving the over population and pollution issue is a bad thing? Or am I missing something.

Do you actually spend time putting those sentences together or do you just open your arse and see what drops out?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...