IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Vaccine efficacy for preventing serious illness/death is very high.  In the UK winter wave overall deaths were about 2% of cases, admissions about 7%.  Divide those by 10, approximately, to get the effects of the vaccination programme.  With about 100 active cases, that's less than 1 expected admission.

We will get cases in hospital, probably, over the next week or two.  If case numbers reach 500 without an admission, then I'll be surprised.

We’ve actually exceeded 100 active cases it’s just some of the earliest cases have now started to drop off, I’m still surprised, I would expect routine cases to be picked up by hospital admissions or is is only counted as a hospital case if they’re in hospital as a direct result of Covid?

Just now, Annoymouse said:

We’ve actually exceeded 100 active cases it’s just some of the earliest cases have now started to drop off, I’m still surprised, I would expect routine cases to be picked up by hospital admissions or is is only counted as a hospital case if they’re in hospital as a direct result of Covid?

Well that certainly should be the case.

15 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

If it's a routine procedure they're being screened for they wouldn't be admitted, as the positive test would preclude it.  As for other things, good question.  Say you feel fit and well and break your ankle out running.  It needs fixing, you test positive for covid.  Is that a covid case in hospital?  I'd argue not, but it would probably count for the day or two they were in.

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If it's a routine procedure they're being screened for they wouldn't be admitted, as the positive test would preclude it.  As for other things, good question.  Say you feel fit and well and break your ankle out running.  It needs fixing, you test positive for covid.  Is that a covid case in hospital?  I'd argue not, but it would probably count for the day or two they were in.

I see masks have to be worn on wards/clinical areas so the actual risk of spread within the hospital is actually quite low, with regards to hospital figures, say someone is admitted via A&E they happen to be Covid positive, I assume they’d be isolated from the other patients, but would they be classed a hospital case?, I assume it would be as someone Covid positive is in hospital, regardless of the reason why.

ICU is similar, someone double vax could have a bad mishap and end up in ICU, if they tested a positive it would still count as a positive case within ICU even if it isn’t a direct result of Covid? When I say I’m expecting to see hospital cases by now I don’t just mean people requiring ventilators and the hospital running out of beds to house them.

This is a very interesting piece from Chris Hopson, the CEO of NHS Providers.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/07/13/chris-hopson-nhs-trust-pressures-addressing-demand-when-capacity-is-constrained/

He's talking about the current challenges the NHS is facing and why, and the challenges that he's concerned about going forward.

This includes the backlogs, mental health crises and more.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

So why are we still track and tracing (and isolating) healthy people? 

This isn't living with it and there is a financial and mental health crisis building  we we speak.

Track and Trace - Its a sensible thing to do. Maybe for a long time

Default Isolating not so sensible. The new message is that 2+2s never have to isolate under any circumstance (except if they test positive themselves of course)

The Track, trace and isolate is now supposed to focused on reducing rate of spread rather then trying to stop it. Someone needs to tell the people that are doing it though!

33 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

All this pandemic is showing is how thoroughly inadequate the NHS has been since day one. Even here it’s bewildering to see how people can’t get treated for cancer and other life limiting illnesses when we’ve had the sum total of about 40 people in hospital with covid in the last 16 months. 

Staffing issues caused by lockdowns and border closures.

It's happening everywhere.