Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

A proper test drive for the vaccine efficacy. I don’t mean that to be flippant. Hopefully if nothing happens it’ll increase everyone’s confidence that we can just get on with this. 

I know a positive case here who without the vaccine would not be facing good odds. 

They have described it as being like a bad cold having caught it double jabbed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

(For the avoidance of doubt - I booked today as annual leave out of my entitlement, rather than being another example of a gov worker taking the mickey)

Christ almighty, that's one day down, how many left? 235?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Zarley said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/covid-cases-found-in-douglas-residential-home/

It doesn't say if it's staff, residents, or both who have tested positive, but I hope if that it's residents they're 2+2 and don't end up seriously ill. 

Pretty sure our Overlords have told us that ALL care home residents on the Isle of Man are well double jabbed now?

Therefore, I decided to give good old Doris a bell. She's informed me that residents of the home have already prepared their sweepstakes for the inevitable onslaught. Bookies have it 30/1 for a Pfizer recipient to go first. 

O N L Y   T I M E   W I L L   T E L L. 

WILL THERE BE BLOOD ON THE HANDS OF COMIN?

WHO WILL TAKE THE £23,000 GRAND SWEEPSTAKE PRIZE (grand savings of the resident's state pensions) AND BE THE LAST ONE STANDING?

O N L Y   T I M E   W I L L   T E L L. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m reasonably happy with the situation as it is in terms of little need for enforced isolation. But it’s clear that none of the idiots within government planned for any of this at all which presumably is what they’re actually paid for. It’s just taken a friend 4 days to get hold of a lateral flow test after trying almost every pharmacy in the IOM. Just so one of his kids (who has been ill since the weekend) can get tested. Now it’s several days wait for a PCR so actually if you’re trying to be responsible self isolation still exists even if you end up negative after a week of pissing about with a broken system where not one person seems to know what’s going on.

As I told him on Monday I really wouldn’t be bothered trying to be responsible at all as the system is broken and even government has given up pretending it can cope. 

I kind of feel the same.  As a close contact, I cannot get any LFTs.  It is voluntary and in the absence of symptoms, I am not sure it is worth it.  I am limiting trips outside, am masked and washing my hands.  Not sure if there is much more to do.

But, yes, I think the system is broken.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I kind of feel the same.  As a close contact, I cannot get any LFTs.  It is voluntary and in the absence of symptoms, I am not sure it is worth it.  I am limiting trips outside, am masked and washing my hands.  Not sure if there is much more to do.

But, yes, I think the system is broken.

Realistically unless you're in a bunker the whole population are close contacts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kevster said:

My daughter was asked by a friend to send some LFTs over from London. Friend tested positive

How reliable are LFTs?

Was reading about one journalist who’d had six positive LFTs and four negative PCR tests. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some good posts from weighty this morning.

Any of the doom mongers going to pipe up and disagree with him?  We all know if the same posts had been made by various other posters non de plume for example they would have been torn apart by now.

Mr Wright talks sense.  I really think the government need to clearly get this info out to people.

They made mistakes in the past, and there are issues now with isolatition and it will take another week or so for the new changes to rectify those as people just stop testing.

I have every confidence in where we are now the only issue I see is that so many people are still terrified and a strong leader needs to stand up and put some clear facts out about kids with COVId and the other things people are unnecessarily stressing about.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

How reliable are LFTs?

Was reading about one journalist who’d had six positive LFTs and four negative PCR tests. 

Might be wrong, but false posited are apparently much likely than false negatives.

Best indicator of if someone is sick or not is symptoms.  Bit of an old school approach but I like it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Might be wrong, but false posited are apparently much likely than false negatives.

Best indicator of if someone is sick or not is symptoms.  Bit of an old school approach but I like it

If you're talking about LFTs you are wrong. False negative rate is very high.

@The Old Git - I think the journalist in question was suspected to have either an unusual strain or some unusual genetics that made PCR tests less useful? If I remember rightly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Some good posts from weighty this morning.

Any of the doom mongers going to pipe up and disagree with him?  We all know if the same posts had been made by various other posters non de plume for example they would have been torn apart by now.

Mr Wright talks sense.  I really think the government need to clearly get this info out to people.

They made mistakes in the past, and there are issues now with isolatition and it will take another week or so for the new changes to rectify those as people just stop testing.

I have every confidence in where we are now the only issue I see is that so many people are still terrified and a strong leader needs to stand up and put some clear facts out about kids with COVId and the other things people are unnecessarily stressing about.

 

NDP is so un-arsed whether his content is torn apart! :0)

NDP speaks what he believes (and dare he say it, many others too) to be the truth at all times*

NDP has just enjoyed a lap of the course on his motorcycle in the glorious Manx sunshine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*sometimes he is a piss taking mischief maker, but trust him ... he's a good person really.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Might be wrong, but false posited are apparently much likely than false negatives.

Best indicator of if someone is sick or not is symptoms.  Bit of an old school approach but I like it

You’re entirely wrong. 

False positive rate on lateral flows is around 0.1% officially, and around 0.03% in practice. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

Lateral flows are more likely to show a false negative. They’re not as sensitive as PCR testing. 

There’s an argument for them detecting higher viral loads more accurately though. And intuitively, if you’re shedding more virus, you’re more likely to be passing it on. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Auto-generated e-mails from UK retailers don't realise we're not UK

1. What is your point Mr Wright? Is Covid19 in the UK but not here? What about the Delta variant? Is that also only in the UK? Should stores here just ignore the UK protocols and take no mitigation actions at all? 

2. And what is your view on the current free-for-all in the light of the challenge of any new variants yet to appear for which our current vaccinations are not effective to the same extent? How long will it take to develop new vaccines that are effective, to gain regulatory approvals for them, to manufacture them, to distribute them and to get them into the people's bodies? After all, in spite of Professor Ashford's policies, we are still very far from the numbers needed for anything like Herd Immunity to the current Codvid19 strains and even that lowish penetration rate has already taken over 8 months has it not?  A recent paper suggests it needs to be 80%+ of the entire population to be vaccinated.

3. And could you also perhaps comment please on whether you think it reasonable, or remotely sensible, for the setting up of the Emergencies Advisory Committee experts to have taken over a year? And for it even now not to have been consulted about all the recent restrictions abolitions?

I hope that you are enjoying your leave in this stunning weather.

Edited by Cassie2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Realistically unless you're in a bunker the whole population are close contacts.

True, but mine is in the same house.  I don't have a bunker mentality, but want to be responsible, that's all. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You’re entirely wrong. 

False positive rate on lateral flows is around 0.1% officially, and around 0.03% in practice. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

Lateral flows are more likely to show a false negative. They’re not as sensitive as PCR testing. 

There’s an argument for them detecting higher viral loads more accurately though. And intuitively, if you’re shedding more virus, you’re more likely to be passing it on. 

I always thought that the false negative was because the person taking the swab had not proddled deep or hard enough to actually collect the nasty viruses from said persons orifices. The test itself (with a correct and representative sample) is shirley near to 100% reliable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...