IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

1. What is your point Mr Wright? Is Covid19 in the UK but not here? What about the Delta variant? Is that also only in the UK? Should stores here just ignore the UK protocols and take no mitigation actions at all? 

Stores here should take notice of the appropriate local, ie IOM, regulations, just as Tesco in Scotland, Wales and NI will likely have slightly different regulations than England.  The point is that Tesco and B&Q here can't continue with mask usage as they've not been enforcing it for the last several months.  In my view it should be up to the local store managers, guided by government here and current caseload, whether they request masks in their stores or not.

2. And what is your view on the current free-for-all in the light of the challenge of any new variants yet to appear for which our current vaccinations are not effective to the same extent? How long will it take to develop new vaccines that are effective, to gain regulatory approvals for them, to manufacture them, to distribute them and to get them into the people's bodies? After all, in spite of Professor Ashford's policies, we are still very far from the numbers needed for anything like Herd Immunity to the current Codvid19 strains and even that lowish penetration rate has already taken over 8 months has it not?  A recent paper suggests it needs to be 80%+ of the entire population to be vaccinated.

No vaccine is 100% effective for everyone.  Booster jabs will be easy to change, especially the Pfizer mRNA type - just change the sequence according to the dominant variant's spike protein gene sequence.  Regulatory approval should be a rubber stamp job, as the concept and safety profile is already approved.  A bit like how the flu vaccine changes every season.  You don't see a commotion over that every year.  I think we are almost there with herd immunity, if not already.  What's the R number if we look at hospital admissions rather than positive tests?

3. And could you also perhaps comment please on whether you think it reasonable, or remotely sensible, for the setting up of the Emergencies Advisory Committee experts to have taken over a year? And for it even now not to have been consulted about all the recent restrictions abolitions?

At the start of the pandemic we rapidly established a clinical advisory group which acted like the island's SAGE committee.  This was highly effective in the first phase of the pandemic from March 2020.  After we achieved local elimination and clinicians got back to normal work this was somewhat put on the back burner towards the end of 2020.  I don't know anything about the new committee - I'm not on it, and don't know if it was consulted or not.

I hope that you are enjoying your leave in this stunning weather.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

I know I could do with losing a couple of kgs, but that's a bit harsh ;)

You were looking good in the stilettos  on FB this morning. Or was that your daughter using them for height advantage. 

1 hour ago, The Old Git said:

Was reading about one journalist who’d had six positive LFTs and four negative PCR tests. 

Sunday Times.? Interesting read. Inconclusive if I remember.

5 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Thanks for fast responses.

We disagree on point 1. If you read the letters your referred to, they made it clear that they are following their own strong mitigation protocols not just those required of them. That is what the local branches and local businesses should do too in my view. You are not an anti vaxer obviously but maybe you are an anti masker despite its long proven substantial mitigation effects.

On point 2, whether all is going to fine and dandy as you think or whether my point is valid time alone will tell. 

On point 3, you neatly ducked the question. Well done. There IS an Emergencies Advisory Committee set up a year or so after it was promised. Whether you are on it or not was not my question. I asked if you think it proper that it was not consulted on the recent major abolitions of restrictions. But thanks for treating an important question with contempt. I suppose those who suck at the IOMG's / DHSC's teat are naturally very loathe to criticise it. Even with all the serious faux pas we have had to witness over the past 16 months.

Wow ... I'm not entirely sure what answer you were seeking from Wrighty?

Edited by Nom de plume

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Wow ... I'm not sure that's called for. I'm not entirely what answer you were seeking from Wrighty?

Agreed, seemed an unnecessary attack.  Wrighty has always contributed his medical knowledge rationally, calmly and in an easily understandable way.  He is not to blame or to be taken to task because Comin are fucking it up. 

• Like 9

Please, someone, anyone, report Cassie2

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Wow ... I'm not entirely sure what answer you were seeking from Wrighty?

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Agreed, seemed an unnecessary attack.  Wrighty has always contributed his medical knowledge rationally, calmly and in an easily understandable way.  He is not to blame or to be taken to task because Comin are fucking it up. 

9 minutes ago, germann said:

Our local pharmacy on Windsor Road were supplied a grand total of four LFT kits today. That should meet current demand.

Demographic of residents in that area tend to lean more towards alcohol and hard drugs as opposed to sticking cotton buds up their holes. 

Therefore stock far exceeds demand. 

• Haha 1

Just an observation.

Cases “active” 20/9 aged 10-34 where the majority of cases are.

60% asymptomatic. Unfortunately no indicator of how servers those symptoms that are being reported actually are.

I would expert that figure to increase short term as people wet themselves over the availability of LFTs, then drop off in a couple of weeks when people get bored.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

If you're talking about LFTs you are wrong. False negative rate is very high.

@The Old Git - I think the journalist in question was suspected to have either an unusual strain or some unusual genetics that made PCR tests less useful? If I remember rightly.

Think he worked at The Times and was trapped in a loop where if he went in to the office he had to have a LFT which showed him to be positive and then the subsequent PCR showed him to be negative. No idea why it happened to him so many times

• Like 2