IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

48 minutes ago, Danoo said:

We don't need a debate on relaxation of the rules.

We can't keep making knee jerk reactions every time we have a rise in cases. The show must go on. People can exert their own risk management in their own sphere of influence but we need to stop looking for more government intervention and start to use our own discretion if we are to move forwards now. 

Think this is the plan, but I think people deserve to have clear guidance on the risk level so they can then act in accordance with their preference. Not sure all 2+2 High risk group are aware they are not bullet proof. I simple letter from GP/Consultant, and perhaps a few mask ONLY hours at Tesco, chemist etc would would this constituent to make real choices.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Have they voted on the changed? It will be interesting to see how was coerced into changing their vote

They're still debating. It's on Manx Radio AM right now. 

20 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Do we need a government to repeat what they have said umpteen times over the past 18 months. If you want to wear a mask wear one. If you feel vulnerable avoid enclosed crowded spaces. Engage your own brain. Do your own risk management.

We don’t but right at the start of this a load of people were made so petrified that they willingly handed their lives over to government. And now they can’t wean themselves off the dependency. The number of people who still ask me ‘Are we allowed to do such and such’ really gets on my wick. Before this when did anyone ever feel the need to ask anyone if they were allowed to go on holiday to a certain country or use the boat? 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Danoo said:

There wasn't anything in the EAG's statement that a reasonably intelligent person can't work out for themselves. It was just an exercise in waving their hands around and expelling a lot of hot air over nothing.

Do we need a government to repeat what they have said umpteen times over the past 18 months. If you want to wear a mask wear one. If you feel vulnerable avoid enclosed crowded spaces. Engage your own brain. Do your own risk management.

We don't need the nanny state to continually tell you how to live your life. Although some on the island have got so used to government sticking it's nose where it's not needed or wanted they feel anxious when they're left to their own devices. 

Correct, it isn't exactly rocket science.

What we've had for the last 18 months is bluster, derision, name-calling and shredded letters. Hardly liable to instill confidence, is it?

This isn't about the nanny state, or anything else. It's about being honest with people, when you're right and when you're wrong, rather than an egoistical parade where we're told it's all going to plan at any given moment. To empower people to make their own decisions, the information needs to be put across readily.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

We don’t but right at the start of this a load of people were so made so petrified that they willingly handed their lives over to government. And now they can’t wean themselves off the dependency. The number of people who still ask me ‘Are we allowed to do such and such’ really gets in my wick. Before this when did anyone ever feel the need to ask anyone if they were allowed to go on holiday to a certain country or use the boat? 

FCO has put out travel guidance for years, there are plenty of places they'd recommend against, long before COVID.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

If that was the case we wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place.

People who don't want to be bothered with masks like to ignore the the fact that a mask protects other people more than it does the wearer. 

It's no good telling people to wear a mask if they want when it will only really protect them when others wear them as well. 

Personal responsibility? Yes. Be personally responsible for protecting the community of which you are a member. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

We don’t but right at the start of this a load of people were made so petrified that they willingly handed their lives over to government. And now they can’t wean themselves off the dependency. The number of people who still ask me ‘Are we allowed to do such and such’ really gets on my wick. Before this when did anyone ever feel the need to ask anyone if they were allowed to go on holiday to a certain country or use the boat? 

I agree to a certain extent. At the start our administration looked at the authoritarian actions around the world and assumed they had to do similar. Don't forget these are men and women of limited intellect thrust into making decisions way above their pay grade and they got drunk on the power. 

However since then they have quite rightly taken their hand off the tiller and left the public to work it out for themselves in order to get society moving again and the wheels of what little industry we have to keep moving.  

We can't keep on looking for guidance from government. Everyone knows someone who is isolating/tested positive so they are aware that things have stepped up a gear. Make provisions accordingly. It's not difficult.   

• Like 2

If we can trust people to mitigate their own risks as they see fit, why does health & safety even exist? It’s all common sense stuff that any reasonably intelligent person can understand isn’t it?  Why do we have things like hygiene rules in commercial kitchens? I mean its all self explanatory isn’t it? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Correct, it isn't exactly rocket science.

What we've had for the last 18 months is bluster, derision, name-calling and shredded letters. Hardly liable to instill confidence, is it?

This isn't about the nanny state, or anything else. It's about being honest with people, when you're right and when you're wrong, rather than an egoistical parade where we're told it's all going to plan at any given moment. To empower people to make their own decisions, the information needs to be put across readily.

But what you are describing is how governments work. All governments. No government is in unison all the time about everything. We seem to think ours is worse because everything is so local but it isn't. We just see ours shuffling round Marks' whereas across for example they live in a completely different sphere. Same incoherent messaging and cock ups. 

If we are waiting for our government to speak with one voice and to deliver clear messaging then we're pissing in the wind. So to speak. Just use your own discretion based on what you see and hear around you. We're a small island, we can pick up the current mood and the risk level. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Zarley said:

People who don't want to be bothered with masks like to ignore the the fact that a mask protects other people more than it does the wearer. 

It's no good telling people to wear a mask if they want when it will only really protect them when others wear them as well. 

More needs to be put onto retailers who have also failed to act, Tesco, Co-op, Shoprite, M&S and any other food retailer I’ve missed out should all be implementing their own rules within stores, they shouldn’t have to be told by the government to act, they should be doing it to protect their customers and staff alike.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They've changed the way they present the figures yet again (latest snapshot here), now calling them 'Investigated Cases' which is presumable different and less than the Positive Cases we saw yesterday.  Sill an increase of 222 however.

They also decided to recalculate the positive test result by basing it on the total number of tests done since February, rather than the daily total.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

If we can trust people to mitigate their own risks as they see fit, why does health & safety even exist? It’s all common sense stuff that any reasonably intelligent person can understand isn’t it?  Why do we have things like hygiene rules in commercial kitchens? I mean its all self explanatory isn’t it? 

As far as I am aware we have never had H&S rules surrounding influenza or other relatively mild viral ailments. We trusted people to us their own discretion. We now know COVID is no different to influenza in severity for the vast majority of the population so if we continue to exercise common sense, adding other precautions should you see fit, society should be fine.  So yes, it is all self explanatory I agree.

• Like 1

Howard said it yesterday, ashie said it yesterday, manx radio faithfully repeated it today. We have twice the case numbers yet less people in hospital than the last outbreak. What theý all forgot to add, was that we reached those figures far quicker, so it's possible the hospital lag is more pronounced. Hopefully i'm wrong they are right

• Like 2