IOM Covid removing restrictions

12 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Scared? No! Timid! No, What the heck are you trying to say? Here is my position from day one. 

Shield the elderly and vunerable from day one, and let us get on with it. This is basically a bad cold. There will not be a reliable. vaccine. There never has been one for any coronavirus ever. In  50 years time, the world will read how the wealth of the world was stolen by the 1% by the treat of a bad cold! 

However, lockdown happened. We have to open up, but how? 

So far, so good. IOM is in the lucky position to have reserves. This is exactly the sort of reason we have them. The money does not have to be repaid. 

If there is a second lock down, Cannan has already said he will borrow it. This cannot happen. It will bankrupt  the Island. 

Tell me different? I am  correct. 

We now have to control the borders very carefully. 

Jersey has no choice but to allow tourists. They have no reserves. Guernsey is not far behind. You, Banker and your mates need to have a real self check on what you believe and think, quite simply because you are spectacularly wrong! 

Watch out ! Scared troll about talking shit! Don’t know how having a bad cold is a treat!

Edited by Banker
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can you guys start a separate thread titled "Jersey is ace - oh no it isn't" and leave this one to a discussion on IOM and the coronavirus?

...and I so wanted a long illustrious career at the DHSC   I run my own company so my involvement with the DHSC to set up and keep the COVID19 lab running wasn't exactly in the professional caree

I'll put a big disclaimer here that I'm not the person who decides who gets tested and when.  Saying that, I am a scientist who understands that if you test someone on the day they arrive and the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

However, lockdown happened. We have to open up, but how? 

So far, so good. IOM is in the lucky position to have reserves. This is exactly the sort of reason we have them. The money does not have to be repaid. 

If there is a second lock down, Cannan has already said he will borrow it. This cannot happen. It will bankrupt  the Island. 

Tell me different? I am  correct. 

We now have to control the borders very carefully. 

Jersey has no choice but to allow tourists. They have no reserves. Guernsey is not far behind. You, Banker and your mates need to have a real self check on what you believe and think, quite simply because you are spectacularly wrong! 

Firstly I find it very strange to suggest that just because a few posters seems to share the same view they’re apparently mates. Many people share the views I have expressed in this thread. As for affordability the forecast worse case general revenue shortfall scenario by Treasury is £200M. The best case is £120M. So actually it’s unlikely that we can afford to bankroll what’s happened already (MERA & salary support have already cost around £44M and that’s on top of the projected tax revenues lost). So the money will be borrowed anyway as that’s probably somewhere close to £200-£250M lost or shelled out already. Anyone who thinks the money won’t be borrowed anyway is a fool. As for Jersey having no reserves it actually has £840M in reserves and it also has an almost fully funded PS pension scheme so won’t need to be digging into them for anything else other than covid like us. Jerseys social security fund is also worth £2BN. They also have capacity to borrow a further £500M. So most of your post so far is incorrect. As for a second lockdown how would that happen with a testing regime similar to Jerseys? All cases would be found and people taken out of circulation. It’s only this new found obsession for zero reported cases rather than saving NHS resources that is stopping countries taking logical steps. New Zealand’s second wave consisted of outbreaks that were found, tracked and contained in days and the people taken out of circulation. But they locked down cities again on top to show zero-tolerance which was complete nonsense.

Finally I suppose if herd immunity ever has any substance to it at a later date we’re sitting ducks now. One of the few populations in the world with virtually no exposure to Covid and virtually no Covid antibodies. In that case we’ve become the boy in the bubble who now has to stay in the bubble or he’ll die when exposed to the outside world. We could easily move to a testing based system now to allow greater mobility with little risk of a second wave (which of course is entirely different to the risk of a handful of cases that might be found and contained). 

Edited by Southfork
7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I didnt hear all the briefing but was there any indication of when the next update will be? 

When the U.K. reaches an infection rate of 1 in 5,000, so by my estimations, we’re looking at Bert & Ernie (sorry Howie & Ashy) at the lectern in approximately 3 to 4 years.

Do you enjoy Spud & Herring by chance?

Edited by Nom de plume
52 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I didnt hear all the briefing but was there any indication of when the next update will be? 

If you don't want to have to listen to Quayle murder the language, the full statement is here and the Manx Radio Live Blog cover the questions that were asked afterwards.  All he said was "I promise to continue to keep you updated on any new developments as soon as I can".  As usual you're struck by how unprepared it all was - even though they've had a month to prepare.  The details were only promised by Friday evening (they had appeared by then) and not really thought through.  And the restrictions placed around them aren't really as coherent as they might be.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Do you enjoy Spud & Herring by chance?

I thought it might be a good idea for the plebs to start gettting re-accustomed to the delicacy when the first VAT cut was announced in 2008/9. Kept in touch with it ever since.

The BBC news are reporting a suggestion by the Speaker to test MPs daily. (sorry can't link) so they all attend Parliament again.

Wonder if they will be paying for t themselves.

Maybe we should start that every Tuesday when Tynwald reopens, or maybe just not bother. :unsure:

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you don't want to have to listen to Quayle murder the language, the full statement is here and the Manx Radio Live Blog cover the questions that were asked afterwards.  All he said was "I promise to continue to keep you updated on any new developments as soon as I can".  As usual you're struck by how unprepared it all was - even though they've had a month to prepare.  The details were only promised by Friday evening (they had appeared by then) and not really thought through.  And the restrictions placed around them aren't really as coherent as they might be.

Basically they copied Guernsey regulations so when they move to next phase so will we, however Guernsey population are now starting to get more vocal about restrictions and pointing to Jersey success as way to go.

meanwhile local traders need tourists here https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/end-of-covid-restrictions-main-priority-for-prom-businesses/

Edited by Banker

What is the endgame? What are the parameters for letting “normal” life return? This virus is never going to disappear totally so somebody has to be the grownup and say what is “acceptable”. This state of suspension until “safety” appears is not sustainable or reasonable. There don’t seem to be any grownups in politics, anywhere.

12 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I just saw the notification of the10am briefing. Perhaps either to clarify or ho back on tomorrow's adjustments or perhaps the 'Rona is back!

Given the timing probably the latter?