Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Ask around your friends and family who have produced a positive test.  Most don’t know they are even supposed to be ill.

I can only base my opinion on

Me. My Kids.  Probably 30 plus of my kids friends and their parents. Three people I work with. My sister’s daughter her husband an one of their kids. Two of my wife’s colleagues. My Mum in her 80s.  Loads of business contacts in the UK.

One immune suppressed guy in the Uk very unfortunately does but to be honest he had been a hairs bredth from death for years.  A couple of overweight people struggled for a few days.

Everyone else was fine.  Every single one of them including those who got it before being vaccinated.

5 - that was for Quilp

Your friends, family and colleagues are all very lucky not to have had it bad. 

The younger people I know who have had it, did (mostly) seem fairly lucky and didn't suffer too much. That said, both my child and a neighbour's child who are both high school age, were fairly ill for 3 or 4 days and are still not fully recovered. 

Of the older people I know who've had it, lots report of feeling very poorly for several days similar to a flu (not just a bad cold). Myself and my partner, as previously written on this thread, were hit quite bad by it and definitely weren't in a position to work from home. 

It would seem like it effects people differently and the sooner the experts find out why, the better as they will be able to treat and prevent it better. It may also stop people being persecuted by others for daring to say that they felt ill while covid positive... 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

That actually makes kids sick though, and is way more contagious than COVID.  My young fella had that years ago and it wiped him and me right out.  We didn’t even notice ‘rona.

The stomach bug went right through our house and my elderly parents.  COVID barely infected anyone in the house. In fact different household members have had it at 3 separate times and never knowingly passed it on to anyone else.

I would much rather have COVID in the house than a severe vomiting bug, even pre vaccine.

 

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

That actually makes kids sick though, and is way more contagious than COVID.  My young fella had that years ago and it wiped him and me right out.  We didn’t even notice ‘rona.

The stomach bug went right through our house and my elderly parents.  COVID barely infected anyone in the house. In fact different household members have had it at 3 separate times and never knowingly passed it on to anyone else.

I would much rather have COVID in the house than a severe vomiting bug, even pre vaccine.

The R0 for norovirus is 2-3. Delta Covid is 6-7 

It is factually incorrect to say norovirus is "way more infectious" than Covid delta when the opposite is the case. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

When do we get to the point when people are only absent when they feel awful. When does it stop being notifiable, and when does isolation stop and constant testing stop? The issues with staffing and absenteeism are largely to do with regulations and rules rather than people feeling terrible. When do we actially start to live with Covid? I am genuinely interested to know when this ends and it turns into another disease.

Many diseases that have been around for centuries if not millenia are still notifiable eg measles so it's not time related. If people get symptoms of measles they are tested etc. Covid is not being treated in any different manner

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, momo65 said:

 

The R0 for norovirus is 2-3. Delta Covid is 6-7 

It is factually incorrect to say norovirus is "way more infectious" than Covid delta when the opposite is the case. 

I can only say that when noro gets into our house unless we are very careful then everyone gets it.

The times COVID has been in the house we have taken no precautions and no one  else has caught it.

Each time it was contracted out and about and not transferred to anyone else in the household.  I even shared a bed with the Mrs and she didn’t get COVID when I had it.  At that time we were all isolating because there was one case in the house

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Facts? Here? Here we seem to prefer anecdotes.

There are many many examples of people who have had delta and not passed it onto anyone else at home.  Hence the lack of isolation now for other household members.

Norovirus typically sweeps through a house/school/workplace

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

I can only say that when noro gets into our house unless we are very careful then everyone gets it.

The times COVID has been in the house we have taken no precautions and no one  else has caught it.

Each time it was contracted out and about and not transferred to anyone else in the household.  I even shared a bed with the Mrs and she didn’t get COVID when I had it.  At that time we were all isolating because there was one case in the house

We all like anecdotes. Generally we are better with evidence based medicine than anecdote. 

The number of ICU admissions with norovirus or indeed any infectious intestinal disease is vanishingly small. So to say it makes people more ill than Covid is not correct nor is it borne out by death rates

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ramseyboi said:

There are many many examples of people who have had delta and not passed it onto anyone else at home.  Hence the lack of isolation now for other household members.

Norovirus typically sweeps through a house/school/workplace

Basic hygiene is enough to defeat norovirus. COVID-19 is airborne and much more transmissible. You can deny the facts all you want but that doesn't change them.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, momo65 said:

We all like anecdotes. Generally we are better with evidence based medicine than anecdote. 

The number of ICU admissions with norovirus or indeed any infectious intestinal disease is vanishingly small. So to say it makes people more ill than Covid is not correct nor is it borne out by death rates

He doesn't care. He's looked out the window and seen it's sunny so he figures it must be sunny everywhere.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

There are many many examples of people who have had delta and not passed it onto anyone else at home.  Hence the lack of isolation now for other household members.

Norovirus typically sweeps through a house/school/workplace

It will tend to be somewhat influenced by the presence or otherwise of normal hygiene as its entirely transmitted via faecal oral route. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Many diseases that have been around for centuries if not millenia are still notifiable eg measles so it's not time related. If people get symptoms of measles they are tested etc. Covid is not being treated in any different manner

Thnakyou, so that means potentially non symptomatic isolation periods, testing and the subsequent societal and economic disruption will likely be a feature of winters for a long time to come, or perhaps alternatively society will learn to live with a certain number of deaths and only tolerate symtomatic absenses (a bit like flu). I personally think it will be the latter, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to transition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Thnakyou, so that means potentially non symptomatic isolation periods, testing and the subsequent societal and economic disruption will likely be a feature of winters for a long time to come, or perhaps alternatively society will learn to live with a certain number of deaths and only tolerate symtomatic absenses (a bit like flu). I personally think it will be the latter, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to transition.

The quickest way to reach that state is, to reduce the size of waves as each big wave sets up the next. It's waves that cause disruption. That's true of flu and other such illnesses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Thnakyou, so that means potentially non symptomatic isolation periods, testing and the subsequent societal and economic disruption will likely be a feature of winters for a long time to come, or perhaps alternatively society will learn to live with a certain number of deaths and only tolerate symtomatic absenses (a bit like flu). I personally think it will be the latter, but it will be interesting to see how long it takes to transition.

Some people clearly don't want it to be treated as the flu and would like to wring the last dregs out of this saga for as long as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Danoo said:

Some people clearly don't want it to be treated as the flu and would like to wring the last dregs out of this saga for as long as possible.

Some people clearly can’t respect the views of others if it doesn’t meet their own. Respect. Use it. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...