IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

And not the only scientist elevated to god status. Just look at how many so called gurus in the UK and worldwide. Some liking the ‘power’ handed to them a bit too much because they are in the end not accountable and therefore more dangerous than covid.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Of course she is. No-one knew who she was 18 months ago, she was just doing gene testing on cats but now she's a local superstar so she doesn't want to lose that status. The reality is we don't need her input anymore. She can go back to being a nobody again. 

In response to your final point. What about the people whose relatives died because their treatments were pulled because of the COVID over-reaction? Do they not warrant a mention or is it still the COVID-only show?

ETA: I see she blocks people who don't agree with her views on Twitter. Doesn't respond to debate. Calls them trolls. Always a sure sign someone is comfortable that their own opinion is correct and open to dialogue....

Manx Twitter is never going to elevate your scientific standing. If it was local celebrity attention she craved, she'd have run for MHK.

Equally, scientifically speaking, she seems to be putting out decent and well-cited peer-reviewed research in her field as well as running a successful business. I wouldn't call that doing terribly for oneself.

To address your final point, have you ever tried arguing with anyone on Twitter? It's a fruitless endeavor. Anti-vaxxers often wouldn't understand concepts like evidence if it hit them around the head. See all the conspiracy posted in the anti-vaxxer thread as a good example of the level often being dealt with.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Miss Glover is getting annoyed with those saying we need to live with COVID, from Twitter!

You have no idea how much self control I use to NOT respond to the "live with it" crowd on Facebook. 

I want the people who say we should "live with it" to do so to the families of the people who have died due to COVID and then watch them realise how insulting their words are.

But we live with other deadly diseases it only seems covid is the one that you don't dare say anything bad about. Part of living with it is accepting people will get sick and possibly die.  

• Like 6

This is where I'm at now. Been trying to condense it into a simple to swallow paragraph.

If this virus had been around for 100 years already it would be a general cold now, and a 50 year old person would have had about 10 infections in their life giving them enough immunity from severe effects. Because this virus is new no one has that. So the vaccines are trying to recreate all that learned immunity to lesson the effects, in a very short amount of time. Cos it is urgent. And they are really really good at it too. It isn't trying to stop transmission because that's impossible, this virus is going to settle into a pattern where it infects about 70% of the population every 3 years or so for ever. We can hasten this endemic state by vaccinating like crazy and not worrying about high transmission, especially in children. There are loads of respiratory viruses that circulate wildly in kids from which they gain immunity for later life, this one is will ultimately be seen no differently. It's just a game of catch up is all. 

I remain amazed that people can think that 'vaccinate and open up' is anything other than the correct thing to be doing.

Also, isolated communities are always susceptible to common illnesses. Suppression has consequences.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

This is where I'm at now. Been trying to condense it into a simple to swallow paragraph.

If this virus had been around for 100 years already it would be a general cold now, and a 50 year old person would have had about 10 infections in their life giving them enough immunity from severe effects. Because this virus is new no one has that. So the vaccines are trying to recreate all that learned immunity to lesson the effects, in a very short amount of time. Cos it is urgent. And they are really really good at it too. It isn't trying to stop transmission because that's impossible, this virus is going to settle into a pattern where it infects about 70% of the population every 3 years or so for ever. We can hasten this endemic state by vaccinating like crazy and not worrying about high transmission, especially in children. There are loads of respiratory viruses that circulate wildly in kids from which they gain immunity for later life, this one is will ultimately be seen no differently. It's just a game of catch up is all. 

I remain amazed that people can think that 'vaccinate and open up' is anything other than the correct thing to be doing.

Also, isolated communities are always susceptible to common illnesses. Suppression has consequences.

Great post.

also Dr Glover isn’t annoyed at people saying we have to live with the virus. She’s annoyed that we think we can live with the virus entirely without mitigations, such as hand washing, wearing masks and ventilation.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

Be interesting to know how many school staff & pupils are wearing masks following the very strongly recommended announcements 

None on the buses this morning, which means even if they do wear them at school (which they won't) it is pointless anyway.

Pretty much all teachers were wearing them before the half term break at my kids school anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

None on the buses this morning, which means even if they do wear them at school (which they won't) it is pointless anyway.

Pretty much all teachers were wearing them before the half term break at my kids school anyway.

Spot on as we are told masks do nothing for the wearer but they wear them to protect others, however if the others are carrying on regardless as if life is back to normal anyway then....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danoo said:

Spot on as we are told masks do nothing for the wearer but they wear them to protect others, however if the others are carrying on regardless as if life is back to normal anyway then....

The problem is that whoever told you that is wrong. Masks do give protection to the wearer. They give greater protection if others wear them too. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Various arguments on social media between those parents who say my children will not have vaccine, not wear masks & not take any LFTS and those who say vaccinated & weekly testing reduces spreading to older family members.

As my children are no longer at school I don’t have any preferences but if they were eligible I would prefer vaccinations & LFTS but no masks 

• Like 1