IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't want to sound callous, cos for those involved it'll be really shit, but is 100 a lot? In a pandemic? Out of 150000 people dead in the UK from it? I don't really agree it is, in fact the general absence of child mortality is one of the only positive bits, imagine how much worse this would have been if it were a new influenza strain or something, where child mortality was high.

We immunise kids against influenza. However we don't do against a virus whose long term effects are unknowable currently 

Just now, momo65 said:

We immunise kids against influenza. However we don't do against a virus whose long term effects are unknowable currently 

That's a very new thing. Also, they need to be a bit more careful with that, what are they doing giving it to a kid on his first day back after a week off with a non-covid respiratory illness? Promptly knocked the shit out of him for another week off school. Bizarre behaviour.

46 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Are there extra deaths here and in the UK at the moment or are they actually down on the five year average?

In the UK the figures are up on the five year average and have been for some time:

image.png.fd814f2808f098adb70f6b7bfd5aa02c.png

More difficult to tell for the Isle of Man, because of small numbers and poorer data, but the number of deaths in 2020 was the highest for many years at 938:

image.png.19ec42d3fc7f496aa9a99aa6773676cc.png

No figures for this year of course, but based on the figures reported so far for July to September inc (235) to 2021 figure will be 940 and that is using a quarter in Summer - you expect there to be more deaths in Winter.

The reality is that the British press proclaimed a few weeks in Summer when the figures were below average as some sort of triumph and people think that is still the case, but it hasn't been so since or for most of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Danoo said:

No-one is right. This is the whole point.

So while no one knows what will be we deny kids any choice of protection. 

Its not some doomsday scenario. It's simply saying we've seen long term nasty things happen after viruses to quite high numbers. It is possible it could happen with Covid. 

Its not unreasonable to offer them some choice such as vaccines, open windows and air filters (which help other things) even if you don't want masks 

1 minute ago, momo65 said:

Its not some doomsday scenario. It's simply saying we've seen long term nasty things happen after viruses to quite high numbers. It is possible it could happen with Covid. 

Its not unreasonable to offer them some choice such as vaccines, open windows and air filters (which help other things) even if you don't want masks 

As far as I am aware we already offer them open windows and masks/tests if they want them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That's a very new thing. Also, they need to be a bit more careful with that, what are they doing giving it to a kid on his first day back after a week off with a non-covid respiratory illness? Promptly knocked the shit out of him for another week off school. Bizarre behaviour.

Generally you don't immunise while someone is unwell. Normally nasal flu vac is very well tolerated 

Just now, momo65 said:

Generally you don't immunise while someone is unwell. Normally nasal flu vac is very well tolerated 

Yeah, he had it last year and was fine, I'm a bit miffed they didn't think about it is all, the second bout was worse. It's the kind of thing that puts people off in the future.

Just now, momo65 said:

But not the most important thing - vaccines. That's the problem. 

Why is it a problem? All the evidence so far indicates that children are at minimal risk, if any at all.

Just as you mentioned we have no long term data on COVID in children we also have no long term data on the vaccine in children either. It doesn't pass a risk/benefit analysis. Therefore it would be ethical and moral to monitor the situation and make decisions based on what data we collect over time. 

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, he had it last year and was fine, I'm a bit miffed they didn't think about it is all, the second bout was worse. It's the kind of thing that puts people off in the future.

Would those administering the vaccine know he was just back? While school plainly did, they may not have told them 

11 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Or we deny them their freedom, and as you say no one knows.

On the evidence available to me (knowing hundreds of kids who have been at school throughout, most of whom have had it and didn't notice) I know which I would go for.

Just let them be kids and stop talking about it.

1 minute ago, Danoo said:

Why is it a problem? All the evidence so far indicates that children are at minimal risk, if any at all.

Just as you mentioned we have no long term data on COVID in children we also have no long term data on the vaccine in children either. It doesn't pass a risk/benefit analysis. Therefore it would be ethical and moral to monitor the situation and make decisions based on what data we collect over time. 

So you deny children & their parents the choice to immunise and give them no choice but to infect. 

The problem is that other places have decided it does pass risk-benefit analysis. The reality is science is pretty clear the vaccine is safe & would be unlikely to have killed 100 kids this year in UK. 

2 minutes ago, momo65 said:

Would those administering the vaccine know he was just back? While school plainly did, they may not have told them 

It was done at school, but yeah it'll be a lack of communication probably. He should have spoke up himself too. Doesn't matter really, just a nuisance and avoidable.

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Or we deny them their freedom, and as you say no one knows.

On the evidence available to me (knowing hundreds of kids who have been at school throughout, most of whom have had it and didn't notice) I know which I would go for.

Just let them be kids and stop talking about it.

Fine that is your choice. Allow others their choices.