IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

49 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You clearly do not understand.

Personally I view anti-vaxxers as natural selection at work and certs for a Darwin Award.

Unfortunately some folks are very vulnerable to the virus. That's not their fault by the way. So the more folks who refuse vaccinations the more folks there are to spread the virus thus increasing the chances of vulnerable folks getting the virus and dying a nasty death from it.

Getting vaccinated is hardly a massive deal but it's incredibly thoughtless and selfish not to.

IMHO of course.

But I'm not an anti vaxxer, I've had vaccines for other things and how is it thoughtless and selfish not to get vaccinated? It's been proven being vaccinated doesn't stop you catching or passing covid on so whether I get vaccinated or not makes no difference to anyone else it would just be me that suffers. As I say prior to the vaccine I worked every day, I worked with people who got covid, I didn't need hospital treatment or die so what exactly will I need the booster for?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

But I'm not an anti vaxxer, I've had vaccines for other things and how is it thoughtless and selfish not to get vaccinated? It's been proven being vaccinated doesn't stop you catching or passing covid on so whether I get vaccinated or not makes no difference to anyone else it would just be me that suffers. As I say prior to the vaccine I worked every day, I worked with people who got covid, I didn't need hospital treatment or die so what exactly will I need the booster for?

But without the vax, you increase your chances of needing hospital treatment, blocking beds for others including those who cannot have the vax for medical reasons.  That is reason alone IMHO. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But without the vax, you increase your chances of needing hospital treatment, blocking beds for others including those who cannot have the vax for medical reasons.  That is reason alone IMHO. 

But I'm not going to need hospital treatment so to be honest it's not really a massive concern of mine. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

While it has been proven that the vaccine doesn't completely stop infection nor onward infection, it certainly does reduce the chances. It has also been shown to greatly reduce the incidence of serious illness and therefore the need for hospitalization. This is extremely important.

If you are unfortunate enough to become seriously ill and end up in Nobles due to covid (and you can't know for sure that you won't), it's not just you who suffers. It's also all the other people who are on waiting lists to be seen/treated for serious medical issues. Not to mention the people who care about you who will be distressed and suffer due to your illness or worse, your demise. Unless of course if such people simply do not exist in your life. 

I don't understand how anti-covid-vaxx people fail to see admit the connection between allowing covid to run unchecked - when there are mitigations such as vaccines available to alleviate the spread and severity of illness - and ever increasing hospital waiting list times. 

Anti-covid-vaxxers are, in my opinion, very selfish indeed. You're not on this planet alone and your actions affect other people. However I'm not convinced we can or should legislate against selfishness, but I don't think selfishness shouldn't be called out. 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, Zarley said:

While it has been proven that the vaccine doesn't completely stop infection nor onward infection, it certainly does reduce the chances. It has also been shown to greatly reduce the incidence of serious illness and therefore the need for hospitalization. This is extremely important.

If you are unfortunate enough to become seriously ill and end up in Nobles due to covid (and you can't know for sure that you won't), it's not just you who suffers. It's also all the other people who are on waiting lists to be seen/treated for serious medical issues. Not to mention the people who care about you who will be distressed and suffer due to your illness or worse, your demise. Unless of course if such people simply do not exist in your life. 

I don't understand how anti-covid-vaxx people fail to see admit the connection between allowing covid to run unchecked - when there are mitigations such as vaccines available to alleviate the spread and severity of illness - and ever increasing hospital waiting list times. 

Anti-covid-vaxxers are, in my opinion, very selfish indeed. You're not on this planet alone and your actions affect other people. However I'm not convinced we can or should legislate against selfishness, but I don't think selfishness shouldn't be called out. 

This is especially true when you have already had the vax with no adverse effects.  Why on earth would you think a booster was a bad idea? 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

This is especially true when you have already had the vax with no adverse effects.  Why on earth would you think a booster was a bad idea? 

Since I've had my vaccine I've started getting really bad migraines,  prior to the vaccine I never had a migraine maybe it's just a coincidence who knows but I'm not willing to stick something else in my body for a virus that if I catch I will shake off. 

As for the you might take up a hospital bed that doesn't wash for me. Every week 100s of people play contact sports and some end up in hospital, by your logic we should probably stop doing all that in case someone takes up a bed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Since I've had my vaccine I've started getting really bad migraines,  prior to the vaccine I never had a migraine maybe it's just a coincidence who knows but I'm not willing to stick something else in my body for a virus that if I catch I will shake off. 

As for the you might take up a hospital bed that doesn't wash for me. Every week 100s of people play contact sports and some end up in hospital, by your logic we should probably stop doing all that in case someone takes up a bed. 

Are there 6 people in Noble's at the moment due to injury from contact sport?

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

Lots have said that and subsequently died😩

A tiny, absolutely minute number of fit and healthy people under 50.  Like an absolutely minute number.

If someone knows their own health history and is happy to take the chance then let them.

People with underlying issues or who are generally unfit or unhealthy are probably best advised to get a jab.  Fit healthy people really should be allowed to make their own decision.  The risk is virtually zero to them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I don't know, the government don't release those stats, maybe they should.

Are those 6 people in because they need treatment for covid or have they been admitted for something else and subsequently tested positive? 

Edited by thommo2010
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I don’t know her reasons and I’ve never asked her reasons just as she has never asked me what my reasons are for being vaccinated. It’s her business. 

I think you’re wrong there. If she’s a friend why can’t you ask her why she’s unvaxxed, explore those issues, and perhaps persuade her to go ahead? I’ve done exactly that with a few people. It’s well accepted that the best way to ‘turn an anti-vaxxer’ is through empathy and education, rather than ridicule and chucking bricks through their windows. Legislation and coercion through vaccine passports are also not the best way to win hearts and minds. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

None of us have any idea do we?

Of the people I do know who have been in with COVID since this fares started, all but one would have been in hospital anyway and just happened to test positive.  One had come off his mountain bike.

26 minutes ago, Gladys said:

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I don't know, the government don't release those stats, maybe they should.

No.  I’d say, on average, we admit and treat about 1 sporting injury per week. Plenty more walking wounded seen in ED each day with relatively minor injuries who may need fracture clinic follow-up and therapy. Sporting injuries (except if you count visitors to TT) have never threatened to overwhelm hospital services.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1