Jump to content

IOM Covid removing restrictions


Filippo

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

wrighty always value your thoughts on this subject - what do you make of this new 'super variant' the media are wetting themselves over? 

Personally I don't reckon it's anything to worry about, but the usual suspects are at it again. 

It's currently running around parts of SA, but overall, SA has low vaccination coverage too. In the realm of 20-30% from a quick look. But they've had big waves for natural immunity. Though, that could be waning.

Scientists seem to be of the opinion that it's worth keeping an eye on, as it's moving quickly. Potentially limit travel from SA for a few weeks for it to blow over.

-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

@wrightyalways value your thoughts on this subject - what do you make of this new 'super variant' the media are wetting themselves over? 

Personally I don't reckon it's anything to worry about, but the usual suspects are at it again. 

Don’t know anything about it, or even if it’s a thing at all. To be honest I’ve stopped thinking about covid, really embracing the ‘living with it’. I’m just getting on with life as normal. I’ve had my jabs, my kids have had theirs, as have most people I know or associate with. I certainly don’t spend hours scanning the net for the next variant, or treatment, or studying the figures of deaths and cases. It seems to me that we’ve probably reached endemic equilibrium here and UK. 
 

I’ve got better things to be doing with my time - big gig to play next month. Haven’t got the time or inclination to look at Twitter. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Guardian's article is quite informative.  What's worrying the scientists is the number of mutations on the spike protein that there are, and that makes the behaviour of this variant unpredictable. Not just in respect of transmission but whether the vaccines provide the same protection against serious illness.

But there's only been ten cases so far identified  and it could just be that it doesn't spread very easily - this sometimes happens when you get a lot of changes in other aspect.  We'll know more over the next week.  

Edited to add:  The BBC have just put up an article.  The number of cases in South Africa has increased by quite a lot - presumably they've had a batch analysed - which suggests it may be as transmissible as other variants.  The questions still hang over what it does.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Don’t know anything about it, or even if it’s a thing at all. To be honest I’ve stopped thinking about covid, really embracing the ‘living with it’. I’m just getting on with life as normal. I’ve had my jabs, my kids have had theirs, as have most people I know or associate with. I certainly don’t spend hours scanning the net for the next variant, or treatment, or studying the figures of deaths and cases. It seems to me that we’ve probably reached endemic equilibrium here and UK. 
 

I’ve got better things to be doing with my time - big gig to play next month. Haven’t got the time or inclination to look at Twitter. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

Spot on, Wrighty! 

Good luck with your gig! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Don’t know anything about it, or even if it’s a thing at all. To be honest I’ve stopped thinking about covid, really embracing the ‘living with it’. I’m just getting on with life as normal. I’ve had my jabs, my kids have had theirs, as have most people I know or associate with. I certainly don’t spend hours scanning the net for the next variant, or treatment, or studying the figures of deaths and cases. It seems to me that we’ve probably reached endemic equilibrium here and UK. 
 

I’ve got better things to be doing with my time - big gig to play next month. Haven’t got the time or inclination to look at Twitter. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

No disappointment at all, in fact the opposite. If it was anything yo worry about then I'm sure you would have heard of it! Best of luck with the gig!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

UK have banned flights from several African countries so obviously a lot if concerns over new variants 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59424269

I wouldn’t see it as panic stations, rather, they’re acting quickly and decisively. Something they’ve not always done before.

It may well blow over, but it’s worth working it out first before allowing it in. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

Don’t know anything about it, or even if it’s a thing at all. To be honest I’ve stopped thinking about covid, really embracing the ‘living with it’. I’m just getting on with life as normal. I’ve had my jabs, my kids have had theirs, as have most people I know or associate with. I certainly don’t spend hours scanning the net for the next variant, or treatment, or studying the figures of deaths and cases. It seems to me that we’ve probably reached endemic equilibrium here and UK. 
 

I’ve got better things to be doing with my time - big gig to play next month. Haven’t got the time or inclination to look at Twitter. Sorry to disappoint 🙂

Hear, hear. I suspect that most sane people are taking more, or less, the same approach. 

It’s a shame that Tim Glover MHK, who is constantly over-analysing each set of daily numbers, chirping on about masks, and winding up all the doom and gloom merchants can’t take such a philosophical approach. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it would seem that overnight the media have reached out to all the usual suspects to basically say it may be bad, it could be worse, we could be doomed. At this point they do not know... Stopping flights is a reasonable step until checks are done, but why oh why after years of this constant barrage, can't the media dial it back and wait and see. I am fed up with their constant sensationalism, as it now seems that everything is a crisis.  Migrant invasion, climate armageddon, weather bombs take your pick. TV, radio and online news going off for a few days until this settles and facts, not speculation are able to be reported.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Well it would seem that overnight the media have reached out to all the usual suspects to basically say it may be bad, it could be worse, we could be doomed. At this point they do not know... Stopping flights is a reasonable step until checks are done, but why oh why after years of this constant barrage, can't the media dial it back and wait and see. I am fed up with their constant sensationalism, as it now seems that everything is a crisis.  Migrant invasion, climate armageddon, weather bombs take your pick. TV, radio and online news going off for a few days until this settles and facts, not speculation are able to be reported.

The media love bad news!! Now stock markets are reacting to bad news and crashing which will start another round of doom & gloom!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know if anyone saw the footage taken by Amadeus last night of the Douglas Lights switch on, absolutely packed. Sadly lots of revellers weren’t wearing masks, social media full of the doom mongers. There is bound to be a risk of transmitting Covid. There’s nothing that could be done but perhaps those organising the events could have appealed for the public to wear masks, and also promoted mask wearing and hand sanitising? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know if anyone saw the footage taken by Amadeus last night of the Douglas Lights switch on, absolutely packed. Sadly lots of revellers weren’t wearing masks, social media full of the doom mongers. There is bound to be a risk of transmitting Covid. There’s nothing that could be done but perhaps those organising the events could have appealed for the public to wear masks, and also promoted mask wearing and hand sanitising? 

They were outside, no point wearing them outside maybe In packed inside events if you’re worried 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Well it would seem that overnight the media have reached out to all the usual suspects to basically say it may be bad, it could be worse, we could be doomed. At this point they do not know... Stopping flights is a reasonable step until checks are done, but why oh why after years of this constant barrage, can't the media dial it back and wait and see. I am fed up with their constant sensationalism, as it now seems that everything is a crisis.  Migrant invasion, climate armageddon, weather bombs take your pick. TV, radio and online news going off for a few days until this settles and facts, not speculation are able to be reported.

I have a suggestion that might help you. 

Stop reading the newspapers, watching TV news, listening to radio news and delete all sources of news from your social media platforms.

Works like a charm. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...