IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It really is a shame that we should rely on 'High Profile' cases to highlight the dangers or ignite debate, rather than the 'ordinary People' who have suffered from this disease!!!

Well quite, but it seems to be the way many people think - perhaps because that's the way the celebrity-obsessed media tend to cover things and it ends up being the only way that any topic can be understood.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I read it as meaning that death of someone they knew and respected from (allegedly) Covid might make the Government think again about their policy  towards the disease and the deaths it causes.  Presumably in the way that a statistic, such as that more people have died from Covid on the Island since 'opening up' than did in the whole of the period before, doesn't, because it is personal.

For what it's worth I don't think she is right because governments don't seem to learn from personal experience either.  The Conservatives still let things rip in the UK with the result that maybe 80,000 more died last January/February (think how many would have been saved by waiting a few months till the vaccination campaign rolled out and took effect).  That was despite Johnson himself ending up in ICU only six months before.  They just don't think it will happen to them - or if it has it won't happen again.

Sorry RM, how many people have died or will soon die from misdiagnosed or undiagnosed cancer and heart disease, and many other treatable issues over the last two years? Even just the last six months because people are being prevented from going to hospitals, doctors, because they may have a virus that affects a minority of people, and kills a tiny proportion? 

It is now ludicrous. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite, but it seems to be the way many people think - perhaps because that's the way the celebrity-obsessed media tend to cover things and it ends up being the only way that any topic can be understood.

That is hardly what has happened.  It is not celebrity-obssesed media that has latched on the this poor man's demise, but one high profile person who has tweeted speculation about the cause of his death and then proceeded to make a point against the government. 

Just appalling, abhorrent and unnecessary.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Good point!

How many ‘high profile’ celebs are on the Covid fatality spectrum?

Maybe the TV dinner little man in the street could relate to someone like Barbara Windsor (or such like)  perishing as a result of this terrible virus?

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Edited - already covered by Gladys. 

Edited by Roxanne

Just now, Gladys said:

My criticism is not because she is female, but because she has done something quite beyond what is acceptable. 

I know that, and didn't mean to imply otherwise for a second. It was just a call back to one of Dr Glover's earlier tweets.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Oh, I see.  Sorry, humour failure there!  

quick delete your account before it's too late

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is hardly what has happened.  It is not celebrity-obssesed media that has latched on the this poor man's demise, but one high profile person who has tweeted speculation about the cause of his death and then proceeded to make a point against the government. 

Just one person who had been latched onto and elevated to mini celebrity status locally.

by many posters on here as I recall.  I won’t go back and search who they were, but most of them are now realising that she is looney tunes 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I replying to Kopek's more general point rather than discussing this particular case - where as I said before, I don't think this applies anyway.

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Please tell me this is not true and you are over egging the pudding. 

Well it's certainly the way the media like to develop things  Think how many programmes that start out featuring ordinary people end up with 'celebrity' versions.  The British media tend only to be interested in people like the people who work in British media and think everyone else is the same.