IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

I read the article yesterday evening and I would hope that the majority would agree with much of what is said as a matter of principle. The question is really at what point do you flip to just basically living with it. Eighteen months ago I expect fairly few were saying just live with it but now we have vaccines, better treatment etc many will be. 

With regard to the above sentence I believe we should try and do both. Whether it is a minor cold to something far more serious surely it is better to limit the spread of a virus as well as manage the disease that it causes. A cold is unlikely to kill me but I would prefer not to have one so if some basic measures which really will not impact on anybody why not continue them. 

The thing is that we need to be exposed to infections to build resistance.   No one wants to be infected by anything, but we also got to build and maintain our natural immune system.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Dr Dix?! *sniggers/*

next they will have a drugs expert called Professor Nutt

what a wheeze

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

Yes there is a difference - vaccines give you just a little bit of the virus to fight off, so when you get an infection there is a much broader immune response. In addition, the cellular immune response results in a whole load of  cytokines (chemicals which signal to other cells) being produced which stimulate other bits of the immune system to develop memory. 

I’ve thought from the start that the best immunity will be from a vaccine (giving a limited response, but stopping you dying) followed by an infection (to broaden the response and generate immune memory). That’s where many of us are right now. 

so if you have had covid whilst unvaccinated , is there any point at all to being vaccinated after the fact ?  ( thinking of the well informed doctor that had words with Sajid Javid who knew better )     Sajid Ashie ?

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

so if you have had covid whilst unvaccinated , is there any point at all to being vaccinated after the fact ?  ( thinking of the well informed doctor that had words with Sajid Javid who knew better )     Sajid Ashie ?

It’s a valid question. I think being vaxxed after being infected will act like an immune boost, so it’s not an unreasonable thing to do. But I also think that rules stating you need to be vaccinated to work somewhere could be extended to say ‘vaccinated or recovered from proven infection’. 

In my own case, I was fully vaxxed in January last year, boosted September, had covid last week.  I don’t see there’s much need for me to have any more vaccines, unless we end up like flu with annual boosters against likely variants. Even then it’s probably unnecessary for me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s a valid question. I think being vaxxed after being infected will act like an immune boost, so it’s not an unreasonable thing to do. But I also think that rules stating you need to be vaccinated to work somewhere could be extended to say ‘vaccinated or recovered from proven infection’. 

In my own case, I was fully vaxxed in January last year, boosted September, had covid last week.  I don’t see there’s much need for me to have any more vaccines, unless we end up like flu with annual boosters against likely variants. Even then it’s probably unnecessary for me. 

Do you think, from the point of view of immunity, it is better to be vaxxed then infected than infected then vaxxed, or does it make no difference?

I appreciate we have little choice either decisions.

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’ve thought from the start that the best immunity will be from a vaccine (giving a limited response, but stopping you dying) followed by an infection (to broaden the response and generate immune memory). That’s where many of us are right now. 

My own case bears out your theory perfectly, I was fully vaxxed in June, boosted in December but I caught it 9 days ago. If I'm totally honest this covid has been like the weakest cold I've ever had and I put that success down to the vaccine. I'm mid fifties not exactly fit but no underlying health conditions either and I'm absolutely fine. I have two close work colleagues (both same age and health profile) 1 unvaxed who ended up on a ventilator and has ongoing care at home  and the other double vaxxed in June who was "quite ill" but returned to work after 10 days. 3 men same age, same health condition different outcomes. Its a very small sample but when you see it on your own doorstep so clearly demonstrated it really makes you sit up and think

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Do you think, from the point of view of immunity, it is better to be vaxxed then infected than infected then vaxxed, or does it make no difference?

I imagine that this science is still emerging.

A few, the usual ones, complaining that the word endemic is being used not pandemic & praising Scotland hr minister for taking string restrictions!

Also someone wanting to know why we’re not testing waste water to check infection numbers 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Time will tell, but in the interests of impartiality, it is also fair to acknowledge that not everybody in the scientific/medical community agrees with Dr Dix’s idea of ‘ending mass jabs and living with Covid’.

Omicron may be the last Covid mutation, in may be ‘just like the flu’ for most victims, it may also massively boost immunity, or it may simply be that the once hallowed chant of ‘test, test, test’ turns out to be financially unviable. Dr Dix could be right about all of these things, and it is also quite possible that his idea will be proven to be correct. I am however just wondering if some of his comments (e.g.  Dr Dix said ” the government should support research and analysis how effective vaccines had been at producing memory B- and T-cell immunity…”) may have something to do with the executive roles that he has held in a bevy of pharmaceutical companies:

“Dr Clive Dix was CEO and co-founder of PowderMed Limited, which was sold to Pfizer Inc. in 2006 and CEO and co-founder of Convergence Pharmaceuticals Limited, which was sold to Biogen Inc. in 2015. Other previous roles include: Senior Vice President of research and development at PowderJect Pharmaceuticals plc sold to Chiron in 2003, Chairman of the UK BioIndustry Association, Chairman of Crescendo Biologicals Limited and Chairman of Auralis Limited (acquired by ViroPharma Inc). Following post-doctoral roles and a period at Ciba-Geigy AG (now Novartis AG), Dr Dix joined GlaxoWellcome plc where he became UK Research Director. Dr Dix is currently Executive Chairman of C4X Discovery plc, Chairman of Touchlight Genetics Limited, Centauri Therapeutics LTD and Calchan Ltd”.

Meanwhile, in the until-recently-hermit-kingdom (aka Australia) they seem to have decided to ‘let it (Covid) rip’ - at least in the state of NSW where they have just recorded their deadliest day yet since the start of the pandemic whilst achieving 92.8% double dose vaccination. This decision was branded ‘reckless’ by Trade Unions as they expressed their anger that ‘’workers are being thrown to the wolves’’. It is therefore interesting how the ‘haves’ and the ‘have-nots’ are viewing the way forward to manage Covid very differently.

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think vaxxed then infected is better. That way, your boosted immune response (from the second hit) will be broader. It’s also safer that way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2