IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Danoo said:

That's just not the case. It was assumed to be the case at the start but we now know the vaccine functions more as a therapeutic, of sorts, and doesn't have any significant effect on transmissibility. Therefore any further border restrictions are solely for political means rather than as a health measure. 

It's more complicated than that.  The problem is that that 'transmissibility'  means two things.  The first is the likelihood of someone who has a disease passing it on to someone who hasn't.  With early variants of Covid, vaccination did make a difference, but it seems less so with more recent ones (I haven't seen very recent research).

But there's also what you might call community transmissibility and that is affected not just by the above, but also by the likelihood of someone catching it in the first place.  (Obviously you can't pass it on if you don't have it in the first place).

And it looks as if vaccination does still protect you to some extent, even with Omicron.  And that applies particularly if you have been boosted.  The latest Variants of Concern Report published on Friday has the following graphic:

image.png.34098d0e42f9f57f6d68bb9840d3187f.png

This is for two doses of AZ plus Pfizer/Moderna booster (or not) which I've used as probably the most common combination on the Island, though graphs for other combinations are in the Report as well.  Protection against catching Omicron is clearly less in all circumstances, but it's not zero unless who haven't had your booster and your second dose was over six months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danoo said:

That's just not the case. It was assumed to be the case at the start but we now know the vaccine functions more as a therapeutic, of sorts, and doesn't have any significant effect on transmissibility. Therefore any further border restrictions are solely for political means rather than as a health measure. 

Well it serves to increase vaccinations, hopefully Djokovic will agree now 😂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’d suggest he defaulted to internal department talk. They are probably referring to a 2023 “re-launch” internally and it’s just slipped out matter of factly. 

Yes that's plausible.   They will try to get through 2022 unscathed and then no doubt lots of pointless innovations will produced for 2023 as a way of 'freshening up their customer offer' or whatever gobbledegook they want to use. 

Most of what DfE do is about justifying the jobs of those employed rather than actually achieving anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

Allison on the news at 9:00 and 10:00 am this morning, talking about Liverpool landing stage. Said he hoped it would be ready for the TT relaunch in 2023! 

Mistake or cat out of the bag? 

The DfE have already announced major changes to the TT classes and timetable for 2023, to create two weekends of racing; one in the middle and one at the end. This is almost certainly what they are calling a 'relaunch'  and what Dr A was talking about. Nothing more sinister!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

Said he hoped it would be ready for the TT relaunch in 2023! 

Well you know what Hope did, don't you? Hope hoped he had farted, but he had actually shat himself.

Something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Sounds like the DofE.  Two weekends in one week.  One in the middle. 

Obviously shortening the work-week to save money. 

ETA why is this in the covid thread?

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve been in Bulgaria since Sunday. Today I’m working in Bansko. Back to Spain tomorrow, then set off home on 24th.

Opposite the hotel where I’m having todays meetings is a clinic called Megalab. They’re doing LFT with fit to fly for 20BGN ( £8.50 ) and PCR for 60BGN.

what caught my eye was that they’re also doing antibody testing. 40BGN. I’m interested, as immunocompromised, what my 3 doses of vax have achieved.

Went in, handed over my cash. 30 minutes later I have a certificate. My level is 69 ( whatever that means ). I have some. But not enough.

Lots of EU countries are adopting a covid exemption certificate, if your antibody reading is above 150 you get a pass, works like a vax certificate - for 3 months. Gets you into places. Alas I wouldn’t qualify. But the hotel demanded my vax certificate. I was allowed in on that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve been in Bulgaria since Sunday. Today I’m working in Bansko. Back to Spain tomorrow, then set off home on 24th.

Opposite the hotel where I’m having todays meetings is a clinic called Megalab. They’re doing LFT with fit to fly for 20BGN ( £8.50 ) and PCR for 60BGN.

what caught my eye was that they’re also doing antibody testing. 40BGN. I’m interested, as immunocompromised, what my 3 doses of vax have achieved.

Went in, handed over my cash. 30 minutes later I have a certificate. My level is 69 ( whatever that means. I have some. But not enough.

Lots of EU countries are adopting a covid exemption certificate, if your antibody reading is above 150 you get a pass, works like a vax certificate - for 3 months. Gets you into places. Alas I wouldn’t qualify. But the hotel demanded my vax certificate. I was allowed in on that.

You can get an antibody test in IOM at independent medical services, not sure how good they are, reputation etc 

http://www.ims.co.im

2 hours ago, Banker said:

You can get an antibody test in IOM at independent medical services, not sure how good they are, reputation etc 

http://www.ims.co.im

Yes. I know. It's quite expensive. I've been trying to persuade the oncohaematolgy team at Clatterbridge to order on. But £17 was too good to miss.

I was mainly pointing out the irony of one certificate saying I'm safe to be allowed in and another saying I'm not

• Like 1