IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

Reports from the Australian winter suggesting that influenza is making something of a comeback, so that'll be something to look forward to when the immunity debt catches up.  

You don't get immunity from Covid it has to be boosted all the time and flu is normal every winter what are you talking about

• Haha 1

There is a a degree of egocentricity about viral  symptoms  - almost a declension : 

I   am/ I was..

really,  ill. .. Let me tell you about it! - I’m not one to moan/ bother the doctor!.. No, This was real, proper  flu -  April 1999 ..I was …Il. “ Stay off work ?- I could hardly get out of me bed, I can tell you..

You .. are/ You were ..  

a bit unwell., It’s not nice is it ? Sympathies. Yes, difficult.. Yes,  OK  don’t go on about it .Yawn.

They are /They  were..  

Wimps ! .Snowflakes ! Call that ill ?  2days!  Bit of a cold  more like ! ..  Skivers.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hampsterkahn said:

There is a a degree of egocentricity about viral  symptoms  - almost a declension : 

I   am/ I was..

really,  ill. .. Let me tell you about it! - I’m not one to moan/ bother the doctor!.. No, This was real, proper  flu -  April 1999 ..it was …Il?  “ Stay off work ?- I could hardly get out of me bed, I can tell you..

You .. are/ You were ..  

a bit unwell., It’s not nice is it ? Sympathies. Yes, difficult.. Yes,  OK  don’t go on about it .Yawn.

They are /They  were..  

Wimps ! .Snowflakes ! Call that ill ?  2days!  Bit of a cold  more like ! ..  Skivers.

LSD possibly

49 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Here go the police again.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-constable-lockdowns-have-fuelled-disregard-for-law/

You'll note he takes the easy route of blaming the public they are supposed to support rather than the policies they enforce

Unless I'm mistaken, the vast majority of the public seem able to abide by any laws/policies introduced, so how is it that the police's/laws/policies fault? 

You only have to read the local rags/online to see that quite a few local people seemingly disregard the theft laws, for example.  And the drugs laws.  And the public order laws.  And the licensing laws.   Who's fault is that? 

How would you propose changing the laws/policies to remove any blame/culpability from the public being held responsible for their own actions? 

• Like 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-constable-lockdowns-have-fuelled-disregard-for-law/

You'll note he takes the easy route of blaming the public they are supposed to support rather than the policies they enforce

Gary Roberts would perhaps be best to reflect on how he and his officers acted over the covid restrictions if he wants to get to the bottom of this perceived lack of respect. They acted like the state storm troopers and had 70 odd people banged up for such heinous crimes as putting petrol in their car. They also seemed to go on a purge for easy targets or people they already had it in for empowered by emergency laws they knew the courts would enforce without question. A lot of people lost all respect for the police after that. It would be interesting to see what % of the population we jailed compared to anywhere else in the world in the independent covid audit we’ve been told will be happening. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the vast majority of the public seem able to abide by any laws/policies introduced, so how is it that the police's/laws/policies fault? 

You only have to read the local rags/online to see that quite a few local people seemingly disregard the theft laws, for example.  And the drugs laws.  And the public order laws.  And the licensing laws.   Who's fault is that? 

How would you propose changing the laws/policies to remove any blame/culpability from the public being held responsible for their own actions? 

The assumption is that people are supposed to respect the police and the law. If you see the police being brainless stormtroopers enforcing laws you know to be disgusting breaches of common sense how are you supposed to have respect for them?

Just think of some of the 'crimes' people committed during covid. Fleeing domestic abuse, buying petrol or sandwiches, walking the dog, drinking wine with your friend. A teenager killed himself with the welcome to jail pack after being arrested for not wearing a mask at tesco and kicking off a bit. 

The police should not be surprised that the excesses of covid laws may have contributed to a degree of lawlessness, and neither should anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

A teenager killed himself with the welcome to jail pack after being arrested for not wearing a mask at tesco and kicking off a bit. 

Let’s also not forget the care home owner who tried to kill herself while trumped up charges that were subsequently completely thrown out of court were being pursued by his Covid stormtroopers. So much shameful behaviour that will never be forgotten. He shouldn’t be surprised in the least. 

• Like 4

Too much time wasted on Twitter and Facebook and not enough time on preventing  drugs coming onto the island and landing in kids hands.

• Like 1

He is unfortunately correct about "utterly feckless" parents. It doesn't take a genius to work out that part of the problem is learned behaviour and what these kids have been exposed to at home. He alludes to "utterly selfish" parents producing utterly selfish children who've developed no respect for the law or common decency. Is this not also correct? This dilemma existed long before covid, though exacerbated by the lockdowns and heavy policing it's still no excuse for continued antisocial behaviour.

Never mind the problem, what's the solution? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's interesting that he makes a big deal about young people causing trouble. But a closer look at the figures shows a large proportion of offences are a few individuals, many of whom have mental health issues.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/violent-offences-by-juveniles-increase-by-50-per-cent/

It's hard to have faith in the state when you read stories like this ...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/coroner-calls-for-housing-for-care-and-custody-leavers/

18 year old dies in January from a drug overdose not long after release from prison. "The inquest into his death heard Mr Ritchie was of no fixed abode at the time of his death, having spent much of his childhood in care" Here's where he was sentenced in December...

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/courts/teen-repeat-offender-gets-20-weeks-in-jail-243726

Yet there were concerns about where he would live upon release ...

Defence advocate Jane Gray said that Ritchie, who is 18 and was last living at Tromode House, had a difficult upbringing which had impacted his mental health.

Ms Gray said that he suffered from anxiety and depression and used a range of illegal drugs to self-medicate.

’He has become institutionalised,’ said the advocate.

Ms Gray said that there were limiting sentencing options as her client was not well enough to undertake community service and asked the court to consider the time served on remand.

She added that there were concerns about where he would live upon his release but said he had friends he could stay with."

Is it any wonder that Roberts says ‘strong evidence’ that organised criminal groups are taking advantage of the young and vulnerable.'

Edited by Declan
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, quilp said:

He is unfortunately correct about "utterly feckless" parents. It doesn't take a genius to work out that part of the problem is learned behaviour and what these kids have been exposed to at home. He alludes to "utterly selfish" parents producing utterly selfish children who've developed no respect for the law or common decency. Is this not also correct? This dilemma existed long before covid, though exacerbated by the lockdowns and heavy policing it's still no excuse for continued antisocial behaviour.

If you read the Chief Constables report you may find that to all intents and purposes the majority of the youth involved in this mini-crime wave have no parents and are apparently CARED FOR by the state.

Although if you've any experience of the childrens care situation on this Island you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of actual care.

Edit - added the word 'wave'

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

To be fair Roberts himself blames the lockdowns for a lot of the problems in the Manx Radio report. Lockdowns that he policed with complete zeal. If people had contempt for the police before then they certainly had even more contempt afterwards. And to be honest if 224 young people were responsible for 675 offences then it suggests that actually without the power of emergency laws behind them his force is fairly useless if it’s the same offenders offending time and time again and they are free to do so. Personally I think Roberts should just STFU and retire as he’s a complete joke of a Chief Constable. 

• Like 1